NUS Singapore Vs XLRI-GMP

3 Posts  ·  4 Users
About this group
Hi I have an admit for the NUS, Singapore (Full time MBA) and also for the XLRI-GMP. My profile: GMAT-690 (AWA-5.0) Work exp - Currently working in an Oil company and managing Petrochemical plant operations. Also, have exp in retail...
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Please see my reply inline.
Hi

I have an admit for the NUS, Singapore (Full time MBA) and also for the XLRI-GMP.

Congrats for the admits :smile:.

My profile:
GMAT-690 (AWA-5.0)
Work exp - Currently working in an Oil company and managing Petrochemical plant operations. Also, have exp in retail sales and marketing of petroleum products. In the past, I have also worked in the process design and projects in an agrochemical firm.
Total work exp-10 yrs (8 yrs in oil / 2 yrs in agrochemical).

I want to go for a general management role post-MBA in energy sector or get into energy consulting.

I am in a fix right now and confused between the two options that I have (NUS and XLRI-GMP).

Frankly I think no one other than you yourself can make a decision. No decision is right or wrong. I can only help you by addressing your concerns.

My views on both the B-schools:
1) Global recognition of NUS as compared to XLRI which is yet to make its presence felt in the international business arena.
2)Presence of a number of MNC oil companies in Singapore (Shell, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Connoco Phillips etc), whereas limited oppurtunities in India as of now or in near future in the energy sector. Foreign companies not interested in indian oil business as marketing petroleum products is a loss making proposition in view of the government contol on fuel prices. Foreign investments only limited to oil exploration and not in downstream (marketing).
3)Great Student diversity at NUS in terms of international exposure, culture, work exp as compared to a less diverse yet more experienced batch at XLRI-GMP. Since I have substantial work exp, so I think my profile better suits GMP (avg work ex 7.5 yrs) for which the min work exp required is 5 yrs. The entering batch at NUS is younger (4 yrs avg work ex).

If you see last years batch profile, as much as 17% of the batch has experience more than 8 years. So although the average is closer to 4 years, the batch is well balanced in terms of number of years of experience.

4)International exposure at NUS and gateway to a global career. XLRI has a good brandname in India and well accepted and recognised by Indian industry, though GMP is gaining momentum.

NUS does have a good brandname in India as well. In fact some students do come back to India for internships and work post MBA in NUS.

5)NUS MBA cost of 18-20 lacs as against GMP cost of 8 lacs. ROI for GMP seems better in the short-term. Longterm ------ don't know.
6)100% placement at XLRI GMP Vs not so good placement record at NUS. But considering energy/oil sector in particular, Singapore may offer better job oppurtunities than India.
7)NUS 17 month MBA as against 12 month for GMP. GMP would give me a chance to get back to work soon.

NUS does have the option to complete MBA in 12 months if you forego student exchange and internships. So the cost of MBA is also not 18-20 lakhs by more like 15-16 lakhs in that case. Yes if you compare to Indian placement culture then NUS does not have the 100% placements but then you have to look at it from an international b-school point of view. I think if you look at the recruiters at XLRI for your target domain, then it should give you a clearer picture. As you yourself said Singapore may offer better job opportunities in the Energy/Oil sector. Infact from Singapore you will be able to apply for companies outside Singapore as well.

Looking at my profile and Career aspirations, what do you suggest between NUS and XLRI -GMP. Pour in your views. I have to make a quick decision.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
mba aspirant9

All the best to you and hope to study with you at NUS.
Thanks,
Abhishek.
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hi

I have an admit for the NUS, Singapore (Full time MBA) and also for the XLRI-GMP.

My profile:
GMAT-690 (AWA-5.0)
Work exp - Currently working in an Oil company and managing Petrochemical plant operations. Also, have exp in retail sales and marketing of petroleum products. In the past, I have also worked in the process design and projects in an agrochemical firm.

I want to go for a general management role post-MBA in energy sector or get into energy consulting.

I am in a fix right now and confused between the two options that I have (NUS and XLRI-GMP).

1) Global recognition of NUS as compared to XLRI which is yet to make its presence felt in the international business arena.
2)Presence of a number of MNC oil companies in Singapore (Shell, Exxon Mobil, Chevron, Connoco Phillips etc), whereas limited oppurtunities in India as of now or in near future in the energy sector. Foreign companies not interested in indian oil business as marketing petroleum products is a loss making proposition in view of the government contol on fuel prices. Foreign investments only limited to oil exploration and not in downstream (marketing).
3)Great Student diversity at NUS in terms of international exposure, culture, work exp as compared to a less diverse yet more experienced batch at XLRI-GMP. Since I have substantial work exp, so I think my profile better suits GMP (avg work ex 7.5 yrs) for which the min work exp required is 5 yrs. The entering batch at NUS is younger (4 yrs avg work ex).
4)International exposure at NUS and gateway to a global career. XLRI has a good brandname in India and well accepted and recognised by Indian industry, though GMP is gaining momentum.
5)NUS MBA cost of 18-20 lacs as against GMP cost of 8 lacs. ROI for GMP seems better in the short-term. Longterm ------ don't know.
6)100% placement at XLRI GMP Vs not so good placement record at NUS. But considering energy/oil sector in particular, Singapore may offer better job oppurtunities than India.
7)NUS 17 month MBA as against 12 month for GMP. GMP would give me a chance to get back to work soon.

Looking at my profile and Career aspirations, what do you suggest between NUS and XLRI -GMP. Pour in your views. I have to make a quick decision.

Cheers
mba aspirant9

hi mbaASpirant,

first of all congos on landing two coveted admits.....

secondly...NUS would give you a global platform wherea the XLRI brand would be more restricted to India...so basically decide whether you want to own that villa in Spain or the duplex bunglow in any second grade Indian town....

neways it was a poor comparison...but i would suggest to go for NUS...but trust your instincts mayte...coz when all logic fails instinct guides you....

chweers,
TGS

Hi

My profile:
GMAT-690 (AWA-5.0)

Cheers
mba aspirant9