Picking your time - The advantage of work experience before the MBA While a number of business sc

21 Posts  ·  17 Users
About this group
Picking your time - The advantage of work experience before the MBA While a number of business schools in India and across the Asia Pacific region will still accept students straight after their first degree, a growing proportion of top MBA p...
Page 1 of 3

Hi Guys...

Those who have posted in the last few weeks:

This is a very old thread, request you to continue at this active thread: http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/personal-career-cat-job-dilemma-queries-a-repository-25009670

Requesting mods to lock this thread.

Regards,
Grondmaster

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Hello friends,
I've just completed my B.Tech in Electronics Engg. from VJTI, Mumbai.
My scores:-
10th-90.40%
12th-91.33%
CGPA-around 9.0(final results not yet out)

Before going for an MBA, I wish to get some relevant work experience which would help me understand the MBA course well and would also make me ask the right questions in a B-school class. I also need the work experience to understand what interests me, and in which field of business I can develop my excellence. I know I'm not interested in Electronics but in the Field of Business hence I'm opting for an MBA.

I've secured an IT job at Deloitte. I am not good at coding, I don't like coding nor am I interested in doing an IT job!

I've been an intern in a small management consulting firm in Mumbai(about 20 employees) for about 3 months. This firm is involved in Strategic Consulting, Corporate Training as well as Process Mapping and Optimization.

I do have a job offer from this management consulting firm. This job would expose me to how business in done across a wide range of industries. I can say so as I did get sufficient knowledge about the value-chain of an auto-ancillary company during my internship. This was gained by sitting in interviews with the senior management(including the MD) as well as properly observing the operations in the plant of the client company during the 'diagnostic study' phase of the Strategic Consulting Assignment.

The clientele of this management consulting firm includes SMEs (turn over between 50crs to 6oocrs) as well as Conglomerates(like Aditya Birla Group, Tata Tele-services) for Corporate Training and Processes.

This firm would not be able to pay me as much as Deloitte does as it is a small firm. However, I do love each and every moment I spend there as there is so much to learn each day! So, I wish to take up this job!

What I wish to know are the possible risks involved in choosing a Small Brand(with relevant work experience) vis a vis a Reputed Brand in regards to MBA in India (Particularly the IIMs, ISB, XLRI, FMS, MDI, SP Jain) as well as MBA abroad?

Yea work ex is important and im currently doing my internship in Internal Audit and have realized many things which will help me become a better professional in my future years

ISB's admission criteria is probably the best in our country where they have said work ex is mandatory and freshers will be considered under exceptional circumstances
Sometimes i dont know why IIMs mindlessly accept freshers.IIM C recetly had 40 % freshers in their class.
My personal opinion is that freshers should occupy a maximum of 10% in an MBA class

hi Beloved Puys,

Here is my profile:

10th (from State Board) --85.5%
12th (from State Board) -- 86.8%
B.TECH (CSE) -- 8.96

Work Experience: Total 4 years(if I join for MBA in 2012), in one of the best MNC's in India.

My Question: Considering this, what are my chances of getting calls from top 5 B schools in India that accept CAT score. I know percentiles, GD, PI et. al are there. But wanted to get an overview.

Thanks in Advance.

cpU
@cpU  ·  0 karma
bizskool Says
mgmt guru Mintzberg strongly argues for the work ex factor in his book 'Managers not MBA's'. i personally believe it becomes theory mugging and vomiting without workex. a class full of freshers hardly add to the richness of case discussion or Q&A; sessions, neither they bring divergence in thought. its necessary to have workexp.

but don't you think that finishing one's studies in one go is easier rather than coming back after a gap of 2-3 years

Excellent Article...I have always been of the opinion that work ex of any kind is always good. Even if u get work ex for the sake of getting it, u learn so many things in a corporate environment which u can never get exposed to in college. These things go a long way in helping u learn a lotta important realities.

hey guys....
I must admit, I am a little disheartened after reading this article. The graph (preferred level of experience for MBAs) in the article suggests that the preferred acceptance level of a person with more than 8 years of experience is as bad as someone with less than one year of experience. Is that true or am I reading it incorrectly ??? Can someone throw some light on the aspect of the "preferred upper limit", if something of that really exists, for admission to schools like INSEAD or IMD. Uptil now i was considering my 10+ year experience as an asset for admission purposes, but now it seems, it might turn out otherwise. Anyhow, I would really like to know the reality out there. Waiting for the response !!!! Regards, Jiggz

10+ years is an asset if you convey the right reasons for an MBA. A career change just because you're bored of your current 10 years will mean outright rejection... Your reasons matter as much as a desire for an MBA.

Relax - INSEAD, IMD and LBS regularly accept a good number of 34-35 year olds every class... Average age is exactly what it is - average.. no school publishes deviations :D...

hey guys....
I must admit, I am a little disheartened after reading this article. The graph (preferred level of experience for MBAs) in the article suggests that the preferred acceptance level of a person with more than 8 years of experience is as bad as someone with less than one year of experience.
Is that true or am I reading it incorrectly ??? Can someone throw some light on the aspect of the "preferred upper limit", if something of that really exists, for admission to schools like INSEAD or IMD.
Uptil now i was considering my 10+ year experience as an asset for admission purposes, but now it seems, it might turn out otherwise. Anyhow, I would really like to know the reality out there.
Waiting for the response !!!!
Regards,
Jiggz

hi ppl,

can someone tell me if resigning my current IT job(with work ex of 2yrs)would ruin my prospects of getting any other top B- school like ISB ?i want to step into the marketing side.

mgmt guru Mintzberg strongly argues for the work ex factor in his book 'Managers not MBA's'. i personally believe it becomes theory mugging and vomiting without workex. a class full of freshers hardly add to the richness of case discussion or Q&A; sessions, neither they bring divergence in thought. its necessary to have workexp.