NITs - News, views, happenings and the not-so-happening stuff.

25 Posts  ·  40 Users
About this group

Stories from and about the National Institutes of Technology across the country. Follow this thread for news articles, views and inputs about NITs.

Page 1 of 3

NIT Srinagar post-pones academic sessions due to tensions

The on-going unrest in Kashmir, has forced the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Srinagar to post-pone the beginning the current academic session to August 19, 2016.Their academic sessions were scheduled to begin from August 1, 2016. This delay has been attributed to the fragile situation in the state ever since the killing of 22-year-old Burhan Wani

Prof Rajat Gupta, Director of NIT Srinagar says, "First year, students are reporting as per schedule from today, but we have asked students of the other years to join after two weeks. They have been told to report on August 18, 2016. Their sessions will begin from the next day August 19, 2016. Whatever time has been lost will be compensated for. This is just a precautionary measure due to the on-going tension. However, schedule for the first-years are on time." 

NIT Srinagar is not new to such fragile situations. Earlier in April, this year, the institute was in the eye of the storm due to clashes among two faction of students. The matter was escalated to the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). The current tense situation in the state has forced NIT authorities> to take necessary precautions to ensure safety of the students.

The on-going unrest in Kashmir following the killing of 22-year-old Burhan Wani has forced the National Institute of Technology, Srinagar to post-pone the start of their current academic session to August 19, 2016. Their academic sessions were scheduled to begin from August 1, 2016. The state is in the midst of a curfew  that has been declared since July 8, 2016. 

Journalist
1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I hv cmpleted my 12th nd i got production and industrial engineering in NIT,kurukshetra and i got IT in UIET,Panjab university.. so m confused where should i go

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

MNIT's doctorate student Kanchan Vishwakarma wins beauty pageant 

A doctorate student at the Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad, has won the Miss India beauty pageant organised by Dellywood, New Delhi.

Kanchan Vishwakarma, 24, completed her M.Tech from MNNIT and is currently pursuing Ph.D. in which SUBJECT? A brilliant student, she stood first in her M.Tech batch and won a gold medal in April this year. 

After being crowned Miss India, Vishwakarma, said, "I have been interested in modelling since my college days. I participated in many college-level competitions while doing my B.Tech at Panjab University, Chandigarh. I also participated in the Campus Princess Season 2 last year; this contest helped showcase my talent on a big platform. Though I did not win the competition, I learned a lot."

She plans to complete her studies even after winning the coveted title. Her area of interest for research lies in plant microbiology, environmental biotechnology and carbon sequestration. "My priority is to finish my Ph.D. As of now, I have no plans of taking up modelling as a career. It was an extra-curricular activity that I always wanted to pursue during my college days." 

Vishwakarma loves watching movies and listening to Hindi songs especially by Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and the talented trio of Shankar Ehsaan Loy.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
1 comment
Sanjeev0120
@Sanjeev0120  ·  597 karma

Cool

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Exams conclude peacefully in NIT Srinagar

Internal exams at National Institute of Technology, Srinagar (NITS) concluded peacefully on May 9. The tension witnessed last month after clashes broke out between groups of students, appears to be have been dispersed.

Protesting students had started returning from New Delhi to the campus by April 25 and classes resumed immediately after. A fourth year student who spoke on the condition of anonymity said, "Our exams were conducted in a proper manner. We (non-locals) and local students continue to speak to each other, there are no hard feelings."

PaGaLGuY spoke to Prof. F A Mir, Registrar, NITS about the conduct of exams. Mir said, "The exams were held from May 5 to May 8. Attendance of students was satisfactory."

Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) soldiers have been camping inside NITS to ensure peace. The fourth-year student also said that presence of these soldiers is reassuring for the all students.

With the exams over, students are waiting for the fact finding committee to submit its report. The committee which consist of two external members is expected give its report by May 15.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Sanitation workers at NIT Jalandhar on indefinite strike since April 12

The sanitation employees of the National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar, have been on indefinite strike since April 12, 2016, to protest against the college authorities' decision to outsource their management job to a private contractor. 

The contractor will oversee the work done by these sanitation workers. The employees feel it will lead to job insecurity.

Following the agitation by sanitation employees, there's garbage piled up at many places on the Institute's campus. The stink emanating from these spots is unbearable, and the unhygienic condition poses a health risk, said students. 

NIT paid the workers, but now a private contractor who has been hired by the college authorities will act as their in-charge. The workers are against this decision. When PaGaLGuY spoke to one of these workers, he said, "we don't want to work under any outsider or a private contractor as it risks our job." 

The officials of NITJ have failed to resolve the issues of the protesting workers. On April 19, 2016, the workers led by the President of the Workers Union, Chandan Grewal, went to negotiate with the Dean Students Welfare, Dr. Jaspal Singh. The meeting took an ugly turn and the two groups exchanged blows after the workers suspected the Dean was inebriated. The Police rushed Dean to Civil Hospital where he underwent a battery of tests to ascertain if he was drunk or not. 

The Union, however, is no mood to relent and call off the strike till all its demands are fulfilled and a strict action is initiated against the Dean. 

In this battle between the college authorities and employees union, the students are suffering. They are forced to live in unhygienic conditions on the campus and their sanitation woes don't seem to be ending anytime soon.

3 likes2 comments
ParthAgnish
@ParthAgnish  ·  0 karma

nice take on the whole situation .. u should have tried to contact the people from administration as well to put up a better picture. 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
rishirajsinghal
@rishirajsinghal  ·  0 karma

@ParthAgnish  sir I tried to contact but it wasn't possible from the adminstration side but indeed I was possible to contact the workers......

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

First, it was the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Srinagar, that witnessed students' unrest for more than three weeks. The dust had barely settled there that another NIT, this time in Puducherry, is in the eye of a storm. The angry protests by Institute's students have rocked the campus for a couple of days. The students of NIT Puducherry, which was formed in 2007, are unhappy over the inadequate infrastructure facilities at the tech institute.  

The institute's building is yet to be constructed and in its absence, the campus is running from another college building much to students' displeasure. The building was promised to the students way back in 2007 by MHRD. The students have been attending their classes at the Arignar Anna Govt. Arts and Science College. They have alleged that the infrastructure like the lab equipment are outdated, inaccurate and abysmal. 

The students have been on an indefinite strike since April 20, 2016. They have alleged that the administration has been ignoring their demands and calling it trivial. The students have also demanded that the college should allow an elected student's body to represent their case. 

The MHRD had sanctioned 31 NITs in 2007. Many of these institutes are grappling with administration and infrastructure related issues. Many NITs are still functioning out of a transit campus. 

Isn't it high time that MHRD shifts its focus to the quality of education imparted at the tech institutes

Journalist
2 comments
rishirajsinghal

Such type of negligence is quite harmful for the students' career....

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
pranaysonawane
@pranaysonawane  ·  11 karma

These are the institutes where India's finest brains study, it makes us think on the path we are following and the place we will eventually reach.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

As classes resume, protesting students back in NIT Srinagar  

Students from NIT Srinagar who were in New Delhi, since April 14, to meet Smriti Irani, Minister for Human Resource Development, have returned to NIT Srinagar as their classes resumed today, April 25. About 200 students, mostly final year students, decided to attend classes after their 'partial victory'.

PaGaLGuY spoke to Rajat Srivastava, a final year student, who was in Delhi to meet Irani. Rajat said, "Out of the 19, 12 demands have been met. This is a partial victory for us. The remaining seven require some paperwork and will take time. So, we decided to go back and attend our classes."

Initially students' opinion was divided about continuing the stir in Delhi or continuing it from the NIT. Some junior students who were part of the delegation to meet Irani felt that going back to NIT may look like they have conceded defeat.  

Rajat added, "We took this decision as we did not want our academics to suffer. We will continue to protest until all our demands are met. "

1 comment
rishirajsinghal

congo 2 the students at their partial victory..........hope they succeed in their future attempts.........in my opinion attending classes is beneficial to them........

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

After NIT Srinagar row, students of other Institutes of National Importance stage protest.

Senior Manager  - PaGaLGuY / Oheyo 
1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

NIT Srinagar students want PM or HRD Minister to hoist Tricolour on Campus

The agitating students of the National Institute of Technology, Srinagar, who have been camping in New Delhi, heaved a sigh of relief after meeting the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) officials on Tuesday, April 19, 2016. 

In a letter addressed to the HRD Minister, the students have presented a set of 19 new demands which includes a special request to the Prime Minister and  HRD Minister to hoist the Tricolour in the Institute's campus.

The students have been camping in the Capital since April 15.

The new list of demands also includes four demands that they had raised earlier that includes the reshuffling of the college administration, formation of an online special grievance redressal mechanism, celebration of all national festivals on the campus, and payment of medical claims of injured students by the college authorities. You can read them here (link to article).

In their demand listed in no. 10 of the letter, the students have invited Prime Minister or Minister for HRD to hoist the National Flag at the NIT, Srinagar, campus to instil a sense of security among outstation students. 

Prof. Rajat Gupta, Director, NIT Srinagar, also attended the meeting.

Students also released the minutes of the meeting about the decisions that were taken in the meeting with MHRD officials. MHRD officials have assured students that their demands will be met soon.

It remains to be seen how and when these decisions are implemented and if they succeed in bringing any relief to the agitating students.

2 likes2 comments
rishirajsinghal

quite informative article......... keeps us updated............

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
2012ume1546
@2012ume1546  ·  0 karma

good to see students are raising their voices in a very sensitive region. Hope the result of the protest come in favour of the students and most of the demands get fulfilled.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

habuyefwye

jsjbfhbf

wkjebfkjwnef

whebfjwmv

weufhiuro

ehbfjvm,

wkefyuutio