New GMAT score or the average of the GMAT scores

14 Posts  ·  17 Users
About this group
Hi All, I wanted to know whetther the Univ.s take the average of GMAT scores or your latest GMAT score. My first GMAT score is not very good so I wanted to know this before I take GMAT second time
Page 1 of 2

Dude!! You've bumped up a 4yr old thread!! Please do look at the last post date.

Locked.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

There are different views on the acceptability of GMAT score. Most of the schools but not all consider the highest GMAT score as mentioned by applicants, though few schools look for average score while the difference between scores are not big enough. Also other few schools consider the best verbal and best quant scores out of all. Sometime good TOEFL score substitutes low score in GMAT verbal. So it depends on university to university. It is better to clarify this by contacting the adcom staff before the application. Schools organize class visits and online chat with prospective students occasionally.
Of course GMAT score is not the only parameter for selection process. I know one person who scored 750. He has exceptional community works, good academics, extra-curriculars along with strong 5 yrs of experience in his domain. But still he was dinged from universities. I feel that high score can secure the availability of scholarships but not admission.

but i've heard of a few cases where B-Schools have asked ppl to re-take GMAT 'cuz their scores were over 2 yrs old.

Uday

dev_dut24 Says
On the GMAT score issue would like to know that whether the score gets devalued or depreciated in 1-2 years of time...............

The GMAT score is valid for 5 years. it does not lose any importance until then.

On the GMAT score issue would like to know that whether the score gets devalued or depreciated in 1-2 years of time...............

I jus came to know that if ur second score is better then the last one and has good increase..above 700 then they would not mind ur previous scores....so all the best

abalahar Says
ya but all the scores are visible to the Univ. Even a single bad score can influence their decision.

IMO, GMAT Scores are not a deal maker. guys get into schools like Cornell with 650's. i know one myself. On the other hand, some schools like columbia are reported to be obsessed with GMAT scores and are labelled by students something which i dont want to write here.

I am not absolutely sure, but i think Harvard didnt even have a requirement for GMAT sometime in the last decade...its only later they brought in that requirement.

ya but all the scores are visible to the Univ. Even a single bad score can influence their decision.

Yep. All your scores are visible to the univ... but one interesting thing I found out a couple of days ago .. they dont have access to the list of other places you've sent your scores to.

Command like a king, work like a slave.

When u sumbit the score I think all the GMAT scores are vissible to the Univ.