My GMAT experience: 720

11 Posts  ·  11 Users
About this group
Hi everyone, My name is Amit. This is my first post ever on this forum. A little about myself... I have a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering from India and a Masters in Computer Systems from a US university. Have been working as a software...
Page 1 of 2

Just thought I'd post my AWA scores - 5.5/87 percentile.
Useful tips: Give a lot of examples in the Ana of Issue essay...real life examples that everyone can relate to. If you are quoting any individuals/leaders, make sure they are extremely popular, so that whoever checks your essay can relate to it.
Make 3 or 4 paragraphs. Check spellings and grammar. Thats all I can think of!

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hi Amit,
Still after lot of efforts, I am getting most of my sentence correction questions wrong and also not able to attempt 41 verbal questions in 75 mins. Could you please share some light or suggest something for these issues. Also for what are the suggested practise papers for GMAT preparation

Hi Pankaj,
I would say that the key to sentence correction is to practice as many questions as you possibly can. I practiced from Arco's, Kaplan, Princeton Review, REA, Barron's (a little) and the Official Guide (OG). Get the 1000 SCs (they are somewhere on this website, dont know exactly where...may be you could do a search OR some other kind soul could point you to it)...Keep practicing. Then go back to your responses. See where you went wrong...Be aware of the general GMAT traps. All the books that I mentioned categorize these traps and give a decent explanation. You don't have to get technical with English grammar (at least I didn't do so)...And remember, dont always go by what "sounds" right to your ears...Know stuff like..."whether" almost always beats "if" on the GMAT. "Hopefully" is almost always wrong. Active voice is always preferred over passive voice...etc...
Regarding being able to attempt everything in 75 mins, I would suggest dividing the section into 3 parts of 25 mins each. Make sure that you are able to do approx 14 questions in that 25 min section. (This was actually the suggestion given by some Expert Pagal somewhere on this forum, and I must thank him for it). Try to analyze what question type is 'eating away' your time. Kaplan computer tests actually give you the time that you spent on each question. That may be helpful to you.
And make it a policy - DO NOT SPEND ANY MORE THAN 3 MINS ON ONE QUESTION...even that is a worst case scenario. Because 41 ques in 75 mins is less than 2 mins per question. If you get bogged down on one, you may not even be able to attempt some possibly easy questions later on in the test. So, guess (if possible a calculated, rather than a random) and move on.
Hope this helps you. In case you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Good Luck with your preperation.
-Amit
Hi Amit,
Thanks for you inputs.

Hi Motu,

Buddy pl do not quote the complete post of a member especially when it is very long one (quote only the relavent part).....

Thankx
Azeem

Hi Amit,
Thanks for you inputs. I am planning to give gmat in next 1 and a half months. Still after lot of efforts, I am getting most of my sentence correction questions wrong and also not able to attempt 41 verbal questions in 75 mins. Could you please share some light or suggest something for these issues. Also for what are the suggested practise papers for GMAT preparation
Regards,
Pankaj

Hi everyone,

My name is Amit. This is my first post ever on this forum. A little about myself...
I have a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering from India and a Masters in Computer Systems from a US university. Have been working as a software engineer for about 4 years now, in a leading medical device manufacturing company in the Boston area.

My brother told me about this forum a few weeks ago, and about how he had benefitted from it (He just finished his MBA from IITB)...I must say, this is an awesome place for everyone to come together and help each other.

I took my GMAT yesterday, here in Boston, and boy, I'm glad its over. Just a couple of things that I would like to share with you all...may be they'll help people, who are looking at taking the GMAT in the next few weeks/months.

My preparation lasted a few months. I registered back in February, beacuse I knew if I did not have a date, I was not going to focus. From Day 1, I knew I had to concentrate on Verbal. I was fairly confident about Quant. I am not a habitual reader, so I started off with reading the Wall Street Journal for a few hours everyday, just to get into the reading mode. Did that for a few weeks and started off with Arco's. I found their CR and RC quite tough at the beginning, but then slowly got into the habit of "talking to myself" before looking at the answer choices. Simultaneously did some practice from Princeton Review. Actually there is not much stuff in there at all, so I just did it once, and thats it. In March, I took one of the official GMAT practice tests and got a 680. I noticed that I ran out of time in the end and had to guess on the last 2-3 questions on both Q & V. Keeping that in mind, I moved over to Kaplan, and took the 4 tests in the following 4 weeks and scored as follows:
Test 1: 560
Test 2: 620
Test 3: 640
Test 4: 600
Then I took the 5 paper tests from Arco's in the following weeks. Got between 680 and 760 in those. The 760 score was kind of skewed because some of the questions were repeats. After Arco's, I did Kaplan and the Official Guide.
Oh yes, I took the 2nd official GMAT practice test a day before the exam and got a 740.
On exam day, things started off OK...The essays were not bad at all. Although I had practiced writing only about 4 or 5 essays in all during my preparation, I could easily write them on the test. First section was Q. And it was just shocking. The first two questions were not bad - Prob Solving. The next 10 questions at least were all Data Suff, and I really started sweating at that time. The toughness level was really nowhere close to my practice tests...My practice tests were much easier. The actual test was a totally different story. I think, in all, I got around 75% Data Suff and only a meagre 25% Prob Solv. Then came the verbal. I was quite happy with the way I handled the questions, and felt much more at ease answering these. The "boldface" popped up around question number 36-37. I think I answered it right, may be not!! Because eventually when the scores came, it was an absolute shocker to see Q50 and V38. I was happy but still not terribly excited. I had expected a total opposite in the sections, and may be a little better overall score, but then I was relieved to see "7" for the hundreds digit on my score report. Glad its over.
Let me know if you guys have any questions. I'd be glad to help you all as best as I can.

Good Luck everyone...and thanks for making this website such a wonderful place.
Folks,
I have a question about the score-report. I got my official report online today. And the question that I have is about the "Undergraduate GPA" on the report. It is reported as a 4.0 on the score-report which is what I selected at the end of the exam/filling up the registration for the GMAT. I did that given the fact that I was in the top 3 in my undergraduate class with around 83% marks. I am not exactly sure if I should have selected 4 for my GPA or 3.7/8/9...I'm kind of confused on this. Could anyone please throw some light on this. Does this matter?
Additionally, I think I had said at the time of registration that I am undecided about my intended graduate study. And sure enough, the damn score report says - "Undecided" for the Intended Graduate study. Could this be a problem, considering the fact that these score reports are seen by the schools. Would this make me look like an "undecided" individual??
Thanks in advance for any help...

Thanks ankush_infy. 720 is not as great a score as some others on this forum have...Kunal Nagpal, Qatil and Baba Yaga, but I can't complain. At least its 700+ as you pointed out. I really haven't thought about apping yet. I may go for Fall 07 or 08. Dont know yet. Kind of in the same dilemma as everyone - leaving a full time job, spending a hundred thousand dollars, and additionally, my wife is taking her exams...So there are a few other priorities before I get to this.
Will still be an active member on this forum though!
Good Luck.

ankush_infy Says
congrats for the 700+ score buddy. to top on this u have a gr8 profile. All the best for the application process. Which schols r u applying to and what profile r u looking at post MBA?

Thanks Pravzmad. I started off with Princeton Review. There is not a whole lot in there, so you will be able to finish that pretty soon. Then I started Arco's. I also had Kaplan Verbal Workbook, which I used to practice the questions and also get an idea about the strategies for verbal, question types etc. I left the Official Guide for the final 15 days. I cannot pinpoint any one of these as being the "most important", but the gurus suggest that you should leave the best (OG) for the last. Thats what I did.

Towards the end, start taking a lot of practice tests.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Good Luck with your prep.

Congrats Bostonian, You got a great score.

Can you list out all the material that you used and what you would recommend as the most important one.?

Thanks..n ATB!!

congrats for the 700+ score buddy. to top on this u have a gr8 profile. All the best for the application process. Which schols r u applying to and what profile r u looking at post MBA?

Congrats Bostonian, You got a great score.

Can you list out all the material that you used and what you would recommend as the most important one.?

Thanks..n ATB!!

great score buddy

Azeem