Ms Vs Mba-civil Engineer

7 Posts  ·  12 Users
About this group
hi guys..im entering my 3rd yr civil engg in vjti(mum)..i wanted to know what is got more scope?...MS in construction management in US or doing an MBA in INDIA. Also the placements from vjti are quite good..so is it worth it to take the placemen...
Page 1 of 1

HEY its the same case with me I am entering my 3rd year in civil engineering and m confused whether to do MBA or MS so plzzz help me out and tell me wer to do INDIA OR ABROAD

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

i got a similar problem...but i m a mechanical engineer....i m really intersted in working in the automobile sector....i would rather prefer or let say like to be a manager in an automobile firm than in pepsi or coke... so assuming i do my MS...is it advisable to come bck to INDIA and expect such a growth in my career....or is it better tht i take up a job in the auto sector(i m currently in
third year) learn the work and then do an MBA....and henceforth luk for a job in the automobile sector...

could u plz help me out in clearing this doubt???!!!

hi guys..im entering my 3rd yr civil engg in vjti(mum)..i wanted to know what is got more scope?...MS in construction management in US or doing an MBA in INDIA.
Also the placements from vjti are quite good..so is it worth it to take the placement for a couple of years and study for the cat at that time or do an mba just after my 4th year...how important is job experience while doing an mba in india??
will my civil engineering from vjti help/hamper me at any stage.??
would love some advice on this....thanx a ton
being a civil engg, let me tell u, almost every civil engg to be has this doubt.. but the point is whether u want to stick to civil engg or move on..

assuming u wanna stick to civil, then, decide rite now as to whether u wanna practice here or do u want to shift base to the US.. a construction management course in the US is not going to help u out much if u r planning to settle down in india and the vice versa.. cos

1. the terminologies used by them r different..
2. v dont hav the technology to implement wat they teach there.. in fact, we r lagging by around 15 to 20 yrs..

also, before u start thinkin abt all this(wrt civil, that is), decide whether u really have to do an MS.. cos

u may want to do MS in CM if

1. u want to start ur own firm someday.(only if u r sure)
2. u hav a midsized firm in the family n u guys r plannin to expand in the near future.

u may not want to do an MS in CM if

1. u hav a just started firm in the family ( cos trust me, if u r plannin to work in india, then everythin that v implement at site is wat v learn at site itself and not wat v learn from our textbooks)..
2. u donno wat to do..

hope i'm clear enuf.. any doubts, post here n i'll reply if i know anythin abt it..

edit: woho! did i really type such a long post!!!
bizskool Says
go for MBA. it has more scope if u do it from A/A+ instt in India.

could somebdy tell me some listing which classifies MBA-schools over all these rating and is authentic one...
hi guys..im entering my 3rd yr civil engg in vjti(mum)..i wanted to know what is got more scope?...MS in construction management in US or doing an MBA in INDIA.

go for MBA. it has more scope if u do it from A/A+ instt in India. MS in construction mgmt in US..US is a matured economy in terms of construction and civils. developing countries have more scope.
work for few yrs in construction sector in India and then go for MBA. many realty consulting majors like Jones lasalle, CB richard ellis etc have opened shop in India to cash in on the construction boom. your career may take you towards these co.s. go thru their sites to have an idea abt their reach and your related career in future.
Also the placements from vjti are quite good..so is it worth it to take the placement for a couple of years and study for the cat at that time or do an mba just after my 4th year...how important is job experience while doing an mba in india??

Well, MS & MBA are altogetther 2 different fields.If you are inclined towards the technical field then you can opt for MS & if you thing marketing/HR/finance/operation anythingappeals to you then you can opt for MBA.If thinngs still arent clear go for work ex and then decide which type of PG you want to do pursue!!:)
Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!