MS or MBA

7 Posts  ·  7 Users
About this group
I am vacillating between the thoughts of pursuing MS and pursuing MBA degree. My ultimate objective is to get to a higher position like the CEO of an organization. I set this goal to become a good leader of an organization guiding it to the...
Page 1 of 1
I am vacillating between the thoughts of pursuing MS and pursuing MBA
degree.

My ultimate objective is to get to a higher position like the CEO of an organization. I set this goal to become a good leader of an organization guiding it to the top.

I know this is a very fundamental question. Would pursuing MBA help achieve this goal?

Mani.

As told by someone below, u can go both ways. But the fundamental difference I feel is that u need to be technically strong in ur field if u wish to reach the top via the ms route. All the examples given like Bill Gates, Sergey Brin, Larry Page, etc had a vision and the technical expertise to back it up. Whereas if u go by the MBA route, people management skills become more important and technical stuff takes a back seat (as anyone from any background can do an MBA).

P.S. I have taken CAT and GRE both but am definitely goin for the MS route (and CAT got screwed anyways )
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hey Mani,

For achieving any objective, whats the first thing you need? Well the answer is that first of all you need to have an objective :). Good to see that you have one. Look across the lives of people who have achieved their objectives and you see one qualification common. No its not an MBA, its no an MS, hell its not even a Degree. All you need is a well thought out plan and also backups in case the plan fails.

How you are going to achieve that objective depends on you. You might take the MS way ala Sergei Brin and Larry Page and setup a google or you can take the Jack Welch way and work your way to the top or you can take the way of many IIM graduates who are now CEOs.

Do not do something simply because a 200000 other people are doing it. (Refers not only to those who give CAT but also to all those who are going abroad for MS.) Think how the MBA/MS fits into your overall plan.

Thanks,
Abhishek.

Excellent point that you make abishek but goals are seldom obvious at the outset and so the ways to attain them remain even more obscure when you lack maturity right at the end og undergrad when you are indirectly asked to make such decisions. Atleast in my case i definately thought i lacked the maturity to make a well-informed decision and thought its always wise to take time away from both MS and MBA and really plan out out a path before you take it.
degree.

My ultimate objective is to get to a higher position like the CEO of an organization. I set this goal to become a good leader of an organization guiding it to the top.

I know this is a very fundamental question. Would pursuing MBA help achieve this goal?

Mani.

Hey Mani,

For achieving any objective, whats the first thing you need? Well the answer is that first of all you need to have an objective :). Good to see that you have one. Look across the lives of people who have achieved their objectives and you see one qualification common. No its not an MBA, its no an MS, hell its not even a Degree. All you need is a well thought out plan and also backups in case the plan fails.

How you are going to achieve that objective depends on you. You might take the MS way ala Sergei Brin and Larry Page and setup a google or you can take the Jack Welch way and work your way to the top or you can take the way of many IIM graduates who are now CEOs.

Do not do something simply because a 200000 other people are doing it. (Refers not only to those who give CAT but also to all those who are going abroad for MS.) Think how the MBA/MS fits into your overall plan.

Thanks,
Abhishek.

Actually alot of promotion is based on your hard-work, commitment, value-added, relationship aka EQ etc to the company although paper qualification do play a important part

:) 😃 :)

You require neither an MBA nor an MS to get to a higher position like the CEO of an organization. All you need to do is join a mammoth old-fashioned company like in the manufacturing sector at the entry level and then chill out. You don't have to do a lot of work or slog or anything like that but you must learn to manipulate people, see opportunities and suck them before anybody notices, genuflect whenever applicable, genuflect whenever not applicable, genuflect anyway, drive the boss's wifes car, etc and you will get there .

I would be interested in knowing other people's opinions on this though.

Cheers,

Just 1 correction though..This isn't true for only mammoth and old-fashioned companies.
degree.

Mani.

You require neither an MBA nor an MS to get to a higher position like the CEO of an organization. All you need to do is join a mammoth old-fashioned company like in the manufacturing sector at the entry level and then chill out. You don't have to do a lot of work or slog or anything like that but you must learn to manipulate people, see opportunities and suck them before anybody notices, genuflect whenever applicable, genuflect whenever not applicable, genuflect anyway, drive the boss's wifes car, etc and you will get there .

I would be interested in knowing other people's opinions on this though.

Cheers,
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv

degree.

Mani.