Moving from IT to teaching career

28 Posts  ·  11 Users
About this group
Hi All I am in SW testing for more than 5 years. Over a period of time , I find my job highly stressful and monotonous :: I was thinking of doing correspondence MBA in mktg/HR by SMU so that I can become a lecturer (My father is a prof...
Page 1 of 3

^^ u didnt reply to my question ?

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hi ..nobody replied to my query ..uhhhhhh !

I have one more query : In all colleges mostly there are summer holidays..typically from Mid May to beginning of July and 10-15 days winter holidays....do teachers are given paid holidays too during this time ???

means 1.5 months of paid hoildays or NOT

I can share my personal experience. I have taught in a B-school for 4 years approx befor moving to IT industry.

I agree with some members posts that life will be cool etc. Obviously pressure will be less and performance demands lesser given the no. of schools/colleges and demand. However to make a successful career in teaching following is the requirement:

1. A good PhD is required to grow to a Professor/HoD level in a reputed univ/college.
2. Research based publications in peer reviewed national/international journals and professional magazines.
3. Good knowledge of Research methodologies (read advanced statistics and econometrics) - irrespective of your field of specialization
4. Good people/student management skills & communication skills
5. Consultancy projects generated and delivered/completed earning revenue for the college/school.
6. Sharing administrative works like exam management etc

In academics performance is measured by publications and industry consulting and not teaching.

Any move to teaching/academics should be guided by these points.

speaking from personal experience, i was a lecturer in an engineering college at mumbai:
here's a brief idea about my experience there

workload: approx 18 hrs per week, 5 days a week, saturday, sunday is off, every bank holiday (almost) is off
workload per day is approx 4 hrs or less, rest of the time, u can do what u want, u are provided a PC, a cabin, and you can do what u want (almost :D)

sal: 23k in hand

i only worked there temporarily, but overall it was a good experience
for more specific info, pm me

kool..u want to be PO..but somehwre I have read thread of some 10 yrs exp guy as PO who wants to come to IT...search that thread in PG

yes ..quite true ..tgt_09 .....In today's delhi ascent .. lots of vacancies for lecturers now known as associate professors

can you PM me your mail id ...so we can think of more strategies

Hello sumit1281,
i want to switch from IT to public sector banking as Probationary officer and have no interest in teaching .... so don't want any strategy for lectureship....i am posted my opinions on this site to tell that these days teaching in colleges is also lucrative option,.:)

yes ..quite true ..tgt_09 .....In today's delhi ascent .. lots of vacancies for lecturers now known as associate professors

can you PM me your mail id ...so we can think of more strategies

Thanks for posting..I was thinking I am alone in this transition

SMU gives masters degree ...also I have read in many univs website and see this page

PhD in Management , MBA , IIM , IGNOU , IICT

Phd requires masters degree wid at least 55 % marks ...and nothing like correspondence or Full time

PS : I have sent u a PM..Plz see

Hello friends,
I have seen today "The hindu" opportunities section that Assistant professor salary is above 37K plus allowances....

so what do u think about this...

Thanks for posting..I was thinking I am alone in this transition

SMU gives masters degree ...also I have read in many univs website and see this page

PhD in Management , MBA , IIM , IGNOU , IICT

Phd requires masters degree wid at least 55 % marks ...and nothing like correspondence or Full time

PS : I have sent u a PM..Plz see