Most Influential Personalities - Face of India

5 Posts  ·  5 Users
About this group
Hey Puys, A day before there was a healthy discussion on Shoutbox - "Who is the most influential politician, worthy for Prime Minister after next General Elections!" For a country like India, given we have so many political parties, so...
Page 1 of 1

I certainly would not like big businessmen becoming the Prime Minister of India. For sure,they can take tough decisions and would focus on economic
development of the country in a big way.But looking at it from a different viewpoint, they have been part of a business setup until they have become PM,have had the interest of that business alone foremost in their mind(till they have become PM), could have potentially been involved in inter-corporate rivalries etc- all of which might potentially compromise their judgement in certain issues.

If however, they have not been playing an active role in day-to-day affairs of their business for a while, then I wouldnt mind seeing them as PM one day.

While policies conducive to free competition and running of businesses are definitely desirable, politics and business are best kept separate.

Btw, what is this thread about?...who is the most influential person in India?...who is the face of India? or who you would like to see as the next PM of India?...in my opinion, the three questions are distinct in themselves.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

I couldnt think of other names, there are so many small names, who have been trying for PM - I would say they being very ambitious, Mayawati is one example. As far as my personal choice goes, I would like to see Mukesh Ambani as a PM - or someone like him, who could drive India's growth rate to double figures and take strong decisions, when needed. Certainly after the horse-trading thing happened in Parliament, no one wants a politician to be a PM of this country.

PS - I cant see even Mr Advanis name in the list :|

Cheers,

A wonderfully written post by vivek :thumbsup:

1st of all, i dont think so Mukesh bhai would even want to take up the post of the PM, as that would lead to him not able to devote time for RIL, and expanding the whole group seems to be his priority right now.

One big name that i feel is missing is Mayawati. Her rise to be the lead of the third front in the current Vote of Confidence, and an optimistic view that the BSP sitting on atleast 40-50 Lok Sabha seats in the next general elections, she may be the one who is making or breaking any government and all of us know of her dream of being the "Number One" in the country. Though, according to me she would not be the best PM our country could hope for.

From the list, i would chose Mr Advani as the best available candidate. His 4 decades experience in politics speaks for himself, the area where he scores over Rahul Gandhi and other young turks. His leadership well defined by vivek in his post makes him the best candidate according to meThiugh BJP idealises Hindutva as its foremost agenda, but still, the economy had seen humongous growth under their government from 1999-2004. Also they are also in support of the nuclear deal, though not with all the covenants of the 123 agreements as been finalised by the UPA government. I think, with the sane parlimanterians, BJP / NDA is the best bet for the next elections and Mr Advani the best man to lead the country

Cheers

MK

India's Next Prime Minister :

I don't think we should have any one from the above mentioned list.
The reason is, we certainly do not want :

A core politician( the only thing he'll do is politics for the benefit of his party)

A businessman because if u pick a big businessman like Ambani or Premji, for one they'll always hav their big business in their mind and hence would never be able to give the PM post 100%. But they would really be the first choice for any PM seeking advice.

The correct person: Frankly, I don't know yet. Because, in reality we all know its gonna be a Politician from UPA or NDA or UNPA. But ideally, now there we need to think a bit, Will get back when I have the next PM.......

Come to think of it :

I feel one potential candidate may be : Lalu Bhai : (I know its in the list 😃 )

We all know what he did to the Railways, if there is someone who can do something similiar to the Country, its HIM.....

Nice thread. I believe the next PM should have some background in environmental engineering and planning of cities. Its evident this is where we are struggling a lot. Our cities are just masses of filthy unorganized growth. No wonder most of our cities are bursting at the seams and even the new or upcoming ones are soon realizing that.

Hey Puys,

A day before there was a healthy discussion on Shoutbox - "Who is the most influential politician, worthy for Prime Minister after next General Elections!"

For a country like India, given we have so many political parties, so many regional leaders, coalition governments in regions - and then there are MPs and MLAs who change hands with ruling / opposition in critical situation. One example - recent UPA confidence motion in Parliament. To start with I have few names, others could join in with other names -

Manmohan Singh - 17th Prime Minister (2004-2009) - Manmohan Singh, an economist by profession, worked for the International Monetary Fund in his younger days. Dr. Singh is known to be an unassuming politician, enjoying a formidable, highly respected and admired image. Due to his work at the UN, International Monetary Fund and other international bodies, he is highly respected around the world. He was awarded the Outstanding Parliamentarian Award in 2002. Before becoming Prime Minister, he served as the Finance Minister under Narasimha Rao.
{I guess he is definitely a good economist, however, not a good leader, he has been more a puppet of Sonia Gandhi & Indian National Congress}.

Mukesh Ambani - Chairman Reliance Industries - Mukesh Ambani joined Reliance in 1981 and initiated Reliance's backward integration from textiles into polyester fibres and further into petrochemicals. In this process, he directed the creation of 60 new, world-class manufacturing facilities involving diverse technologies that have raised Reliance's manufacturing capacities from less than a million tonnes to twelve million tonnes per year. He directed and led the creation of the world's largest grassroots petroleum refinery at Jamnagar, Gujarat, India, with a present capacity of 660,000 barrels per day (33 million tonnes per year) integrated with petrochemicals, power generation, port and related infrastructure, at an investment of Rs 100000 crore (nearly $26 billion USD). Mukesh Ambani set up one of the largest telecommunications companies in India in the form of Reliance Communications (formerly Reliance Infocomm) Limited. However, Reliance Infocom now is under Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group post the brothers' split.Had the two brothers not split, and Mukesh being the president , his net worth would have been around $85 billion ,making him the richest man on earth ever by a huge margin.
{Mukesh Ambani has driven Reliance Industries to 300,000+ Cr enterprise, almost double of where his father left the company with - his Reliance petroleum is among top 10 companies, surely he has leadership skills, I doubt if he is a good politician, however he has good sneak in political arena}

Abul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam (Former President) -Kalam is the Fourth President of India to have been honoured with a Bharat Ratna before being elected to the highest office, the other three being Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan ,V. V. Giri and Zakir Hussain. He is also the first scientist and first bachelor to occupy Rashtrapati Bhavan. Referred to as the "People's President", Kalam is often considered amongst India's greatest presidents, going on to win a poll conducted by news channel CNN-IBN for India's Best President. Kalam's belief in the power of science to resolve society's problems and his views of these problems as a result of inefficient distribution of resources is modernistic. He also sees science and technology as ideology-free areas and emphasizes the cultivation of scientific temper and entrepreneurial drive. In this, he finds a lot of support among India's new business leaders like the founders of Infosys and Wipro, (leading Indian IT corporations) who began their careers as technology professionals much in the same way Kalam did.
{He is certianly face of this nation - however, he is not a politician, everyone will be more than happy if he leads India for next five years, however, there is very bleak probability that he would actually ever become even President - thanks to Indian Politics!}

Lalu Prasad Yadav (Leader RJD - regional party) - He ruled Bihar for 10 years, in a span of 10 years, he became a formidable force in Bihar State Politics. During the Indian general elections in 1989 and state assembly elections, he successfully led the National Front coalition in Bihar. It was, therefore, no surprise that he was elected the Chief Minister leaving behind Ram Sundar Das, a former chief minister from Janata Party when the Party came to power in the 1990 Assembly elections. The World Bank lauded his party for its work in the 1990s on the economic front. According to the BBC, the police unearthed a Fodder Scam in 1996 worth Rs 950 crore (US$ 267 Million) in Bihar (dating back to the previous Congress Government) which allegedly involved Lalu and the State's leading bureaucrats and politicians, albeit the probe itself was ordered by him. Prasad was elected to the 14th Lok Sabha from Chhapra and Madhepura seats of Bihar. He was named as the railway minister in the UPA Government. Later, he gave up the Madhepura seat.
{He is a very strong politician - his recent hard work when he arranged numbers for UPA coalition is one example, however I doubt if he could be national leader, I definitely will not like to see him as a PM of this nation}

Rahul Gandhi (Gen Sec of Indian National Congress) -In March 2004, Rahul Gandhi announced his entry into politics by announcing that he would contest the May 2004 elections, standing for his father's former constituency of Amethi in Uttar Pradesh in the Lok Sabha, India's lower house of Parliament. Before that, his uncle Sanjay held the seat before a plane crash. The seat had been held by his mother until she transferred to the neighbouring seat of Rae Bareilly. The Congress had been doing poorly in Uttar Pradesh, holding only 10 of the 80 Lok Sabha seats in the state at the time.At the time, this move generated surprise among political commentators, who had regarded his sister Priyanka as being the more charismatic and likely to succeed. Party officials did not have a CV ready for the media, such was the surprise of his move. It generated speculation that the presence of a young member of India's most famous political family would reinvigorate the Congress party's political fortunes among India's youthful population. In his first interview with foreign media, he portrayed himself as a uniter of the country and condemned "divisive" politics in India, saying that he would try to reduce caste and religious tensions. His candidacy was greeted with excitement by locals, who had a long standing affinity with the family's presence in the area. He won with a landslide majority, retaining the family stronghold with a margin of over 100,000 as the Congress unexpectedly defeated the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party. His campaign was directed by his younger sister, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
{He is for sure a candidate fom Congress for the seat of PM, however, he is not a strong politician, and I doubt if he has strong leader ship skills, he could be a stronger politician, some 10 years down the line}.

Lal Krishna Advani (President, BJP) -Advani is credited with turning the BJP into a significant force in Indian politics by undertaking the Ratha Yatra (Chariot tour) to mobilize support for building of a temple dedicated to Lord Rama in Ayodhya, believed to be his birthplace. At Lahore, he inaugurated the renovation of the Katasraj Temple, an ancient Hindu temple in Pakistan. Early in 2007, Advani met with archaeologists from Pakistan who had been visiting Indian temples to acquaint themselves with Hindu architecture. Advani made the positive gesture to Musharraf in a letter to the Pakistani leader in which he was effusive in his praise saying: "I wish to express my deep appreciation for this (the restoration of the Katasraj temples)." Elsewhere, he congratulated Musharraf for visiting the Shiva temple in Karachi in November-2006. "The people of India have also welcomed your visit to the Shiva temple in Karachi in November last year", he wrote in the letter.
{Advani is among the biggies in Indian Politics, he has been nominated as next PM candidate from BJP, given his long political exposure, he is surely a big bet for PM - if BJP gets into power}

I couldnt think of other names, there are so many small names, who have been trying for PM - I would say they being very ambitious, Mayawati is one example. As far as my personal choice goes, I would like to see Mukesh Ambani as a PM - or someone like him, who could drive India's growth rate to double figures and take strong decisions, when needed. Certainly after the horse-trading thing happened in Parliament, no one wants a politician to be a PM of this country.

Cheers,