Mobile Phone Cam Vs Digi Cam

26 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
Hi Couldnt find the right thread. So, opened a new one. I wanted some of the tech experts to comment on the comparison between a high end mobile phone with a good digital camera and a decent digital camera. I have been planning to b...
Page 1 of 3
Hi

Couldnt find the right thread. So, opened a new one.

I wanted some of the tech experts to comment on the comparison between a high end mobile phone with a good digital camera and a decent digital camera.

I have been planning to buy a digital camera for quite a while. My budget has been under 15K. However, some guys advise that the best thing to do now is to shell out some more money and get a good mobile phone (say the N73 or N80). This will give me the added advantage of a good phone and a music player as well.

Ofcourse, I am in need of a good phone as well but I am in no hurry! I can do with my old phone for another 6-9 months. However, I am looking for a digicam soon.

Also, I aint a nature freak and I am not looking for a camera to capture really fine images. Just looking for something to capture all the fun moments here in the campus. Ofcourse getting some good pics on the occasinal outstation trip will be helpful too.

So .. what do you guys think? Should I do away with my outdated mobile phone and get a sleek new Nokia N series with a 3.2 MP digicam.
Or
Should I stick to the thought that a mobile phone is supposed to be used only to make calls ! and that even my outdated model can do. Hence, going for a 15 K Nikon/Canon Digicam will be a better option.

Looking forward to your comments!

Cheers
Ramesh

bhai F&V...if; u wait some more time , say 2-3 month more , then u can go for APPLE's iPHONE....
combination of iPOD and 2MP camera..with lots of other cool features...all features u can chk in internet..
so wht u say???
wait till april..
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Bought a Sony Ericsson w700i few months back... It has a fabulous music player and an equally good cam(2MP).

I'd say, if ur looking for a good phone-with-cam, go for a Sony Ericsson. The w810i(2MP) and k750i (3.2MP) are good options in the sub-15k range.

Adv: Its handy, always in ur pocket

Disadv: They're next to worthless at night. A flash is there, but its just too feeble and all pics taken in dim/bad light are too grainy. They are very sensitive to motion and movement while clickng causes blurring of images... not very good. And as others here mentioned, the lack of optical zoom...

Ordered a Canon S2 IS recently, my friend transported it all the way from Chicago, and is it a great cam or what!!!???
Go for a good digicam, and keep ur old phone...
and look for a Sony or Canon... these are good brands

Btw, for any info on digicams, ask steve... Steve's Digicams - Camera Reviews
U will get all the info that u need(and more!!)

dude what are you going to do with original cards??? Even the nokia ones which are available (read:- SD memory and MicroSD memory) at 1.2k are duplicate; if you go to buy original Nokia memory cards they'll cost you atleast 3k (dunno, haven't seen any shop selling them).
In the market three memory cards are available:-
SD/MicroSD Memory :- Used in Nokia Mobs / Digicams too
Trans Flash Memory :- Used in Motorola Phones
Duo Pro (something) Memory :- Used in Sony Mobs / Sony Digicams

Dunno about the Trans Flash, but for the other two, there are chinese duplicates freely available in the market (in case of Duo Pro, they are available with the name of 'Sony Duo Pro'; in case of SD, they are available by other names) :- but in both cases they are either pirated/duplicate/non-original. But they all work fine (my duplicate nokia memory has been working fine for the past 1.5 years, same is the case of 2GB Sony memory on my roomie's mobile for a period of .5years so far)

Still will enquire all options :)

Btw, good morning ;)

Would like to add my sad, sad experiences with dupe flash memory here.

I first had a 16 MB card (yes, it's sinful to say it) with my Sony... Which I used for three months, before I bought a dupe 128 MB card for 2000 (at the time!). It conked out after 5 months. I *upgraded* to a 256, which is currently in the process of conking out. By this I mean, a part of the memory is corrupted, and I can't take photos while that memory is active.

I mean, I can first take 30 odd photos, then for the next 60 photos, whatever I try to do, I get a 'File Format' error... And after this sector is bypassed things are okay :S

I still have that dupe stick, and been thinking of getting a 1 GB thingy. But yes, it's unlikely I'll be buying an original anyway - the investment is just too much! Even given my bad history with flash devices!

My experiences with dupe flash MP3 players is even worse... I bought 3 different ones :|, all conked, before sense got the better of me and I invested in a proper Creative player!

Again, this post won't help your decision , but just offering my experiences with them fake memory cards!

ChUcK
A Mallu Accent is just a Hyundai made in Kerala. http://www.facebook.com/ChucksComicsAndStuff
Dunno about the Trans Flash, but for the other two, there are chinese duplicates freely available in the market (in case of Duo Pro, they are available with the name of 'Sony Duo Pro'; in case of SD, they are available by other names) :- but in both cases they are either pirated/duplicate/non-original. But they all work fine (my duplicate nokia memory has been working fine for the past 1.5 years, same is the case of 2GB Sony memory on my roomie's mobile for a period of .5years so far)

Btw, good morning ;)

Yea majority of the stuff sold in the Indian market is not genuine, because people dont want to spent money on something like 'memory'.

Just for info - There are other companies which make MS Pro Duo. I do not have much idea about the prices. If you are in the market, do check the price of MS Pro Duo manufactured by Sandisk. I guess it should be cheaper than the one by Sony and should be more reliable than the ones made by those unknown companies.

Just saw it here:

SanDisk Products | Mobile Products Memory Stick PRO Duo Cards

PS: Kindly hola me through PM if go to the market to enquire about the prices. I am also on hunt to buy 1 GB MS Duo Pro for my digicam.
floyd&vodka; Says
Just ensure that these are original Sony cards!

dude what are you going to do with original cards??? Even the nokia ones which are available (read:- SD memory and MicroSD memory) at 1.2k are duplicate; if you go to buy original Nokia memory cards they'll cost you atleast 3k (dunno, haven't seen any shop selling them).
In the market three memory cards are available:-
SD/MicroSD Memory :- Used in Nokia Mobs / Digicams too
Trans Flash Memory :- Used in Motorola Phones
Duo Pro (something) Memory :- Used in Sony Mobs / Sony Digicams

Btw, good morning 😉

But i already know this; 1GB Sony Memory card is available for around 1.5k in Pimpri, Pune; 2GB at 2+k:- a friend of mine got 1GB a month back at the above prices.

Just ensure that these are original Sony cards!

I'll drop down to pimpri this weekend if i find the time... Place with the cheapest prices!!!
But i already know this; 1GB Sony Memory card is available for around 1.5k in Pimpri, Pune; 2GB at 2+k:- a friend of mine got 1GB a month back at the above prices.

Will inquire about mobile prices! 😃

Oh forgot to mention one more thing that could be of help/add to confusion...

Sony's Memory Sticks are damned expensive, comparitively... However, the fakes are cheaper (1 GB = 1600 at Spencer Plaza, Chennai), but are not reliable. I'd suggest going in for a Canon which has a cheaper, yet original memory card.

Yes, Sony's obsession with propreitariness is irritating at times.

@ Ramesh: Sorry if I confused you with my earlier post, mate... But as always, I do not look to tell people what to do - I give them the facts which I feel could help them take a decision on their own :)
And I hope that helped :D

In any case, whether you buy a camera/c-phone, you can rest assured that it was the most debated piece of technology on the largest management education forum in India

ChUcK
Happy clicking!
ChUcK

A Mallu Accent is just a Hyundai made in Kerala. http://www.facebook.com/ChucksComicsAndStuff

Ramesh: Glad to add to your kaanfusion.

ChUcK

PS: Hmmm... Joining of two ears: Kaan-fusion? :eh:

HeHe ! Still on your PJ ride ! huh !

Today . I went to enquire about the mobile prices ..
At Hiranandani, powai the rates are as follows:
N73 - 22400 with 128 MB memory
N73 - 24400 with 1 GB memory.

Ofcourse the 128MB memory is way too low!! So again .. I might end up spending almost 25K which is way toooo high ! (considering that I was jus looking for a 15K digicam ??:)

@Ninja - Found out about K790 as well .. Thats much cheaper. I dont remembr but it was somewhere in the 17-18K range. But it has only 64MB memory. and the shopkeeper told me that the add on memory card of Sony mobiles is very costly. It seems a 1GB card is worth 3K for Sony and only worth 1200 for Nokia ... :wow:

So again .. doesnt look to be that attractive. Moreover, I would always prefer a Nokia (but ideally for 20K)

So again .. I might go on a digicam hunt next and for that .. the posts of digi_saint, nik, eddy will prove to be of great help! Thanks a ton guys!

Abe Ninja .. tu mereko pune ke prices bata .. maybe the mobiles are cheap there too ..

Thanks again to all !
Cheers!
Ramesh

Woah :D

This thread is going places...! I think we can continue to have a discussion on phones v cameras...
As camera phones get better, maybe this thread will continue to have it's relevance.

If a mod feels otherwise, please feel free to lock the thread :P

Ramesh: Glad to add to your kaanfusion.

ChUcK

PS: Hmmm... Joining of two ears: Kaan-fusion? :eh: