MIM from LBS vs IIMA,B,C

6 Posts  ·  20 Users
About this group

Hello guys! I am currently pursuing B.Tech from IIT Delhi. I wanted to know which is better-* MIM from LBS* or a *PGDM from IIM A,B,C*? Please use the following parameters for comparison 1\. Placement scenario2\. Reputation:A. ...

Page 1 of 1

Well both these degrees are really great, and have their own particular strengths and weaknesses. 
Which is better? Well that totally depends on what your objectives are.
Some of the points in which these 2 degrees are really different are

Class & Program Structure/ Syllabus:Well the LBS MiM is much more international with people from over 30 countries studying together, also most of the classes are very similar to those of a regular MBA school in India has. ( My cousins study at XLRI and IIM-C so i checked) 
A major difference would be that the MiM LBS is a one year degree, while the PGDM is for 2 years, so you will definitely have a much larger outlook to management studies in the IIM's.
The courses in LBS have a much more European nature, and you will find classes like IFRS, International Marketing and the sorts which have a much broader international scope and application. 

Fees: Well the fees  goes up to 40,000 pounds for LBS and LSE.
The IIM's offer more value for money although their fees has also increased to around 20 lakhs.
Also living expenses in London will usually knock you back by 900 pounds per month.
Although as per me the ROI is pretty good as companies usually give jobs with a median package of 55000+ euros.

Placements: Well in most of the colleges abroad there is no concept of companies coming in, taking interviews and offering jobs on campuses like it is in India. In Europe, there are a huge number of job fairs on campus, where all leading companies from all sectors may it be consulting( BCG, Mc Kinsey), finance( Goldman sachs), Auditing(KPMG, EY) , Google, Drop Box, Coca Cola, P&G etc come & put up stands for a whole day. Here the company executives talk with the students approaching them, talk about the jobs available and invite them to send their resumes via the company portal. Granted it is not as effective as the dedicated Indian placement method, but loads of students do get placed by this way of application. 
Here I must mention that countries such as UK have strict immigration laws now, so finding a job after getting the degree may be difficult. This is especially true for non-EU residents, but of course getting a job is not impossible. You just have to struggle a bit more.
Also the companies coming to LBS would be paying on a much higher scale and the job profiles would be much more international in nature.  

Fame: LBS is a very well known brand and is known to open doors in many countries, so your options are not limited to just the UK.
IIM on the other hand will get you amazing jobs in India ( it has limited recognition abroad) & if your aim is to work in India after graduation, a PGDM is the degree to go for.

Environment: Well studying and living in an international city like London, really changes the way you think. The world is a huge place, and you will only understand this once you go and  live abroad for a while. You will also be exposed to a number of World fairs and events organized by companies in London, so that would be extremely beneficial in your personal development. Plus in a world that is increasingly globalizing and with major international players showing interest in India, some international experience may really help you out in the near future.

Hope i was able to solve some of the questions lingering in your mind.
Let me know if you have any other follow up questions.
Also you can get to know a lot more about the MiM degree and which are the top colleges offering it at 

http://www.mim-essay.com/what-is-the-mim-.html

Founder at www.MiM-Essay.com; ESCP Europe MiM Graduate
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I have the same doubt. I really want to know what holds more value in India. An MIM from LBS or PGDM from IIMs or FMS maybe?

1 comment
GyanOneMBA
@GyanOneMBA  ·  49 karma

@Tyler-Durden We know this is a very later response to this question, but still posting this to help others with similar queries. In India, IIM/FMS/ISB alumni will always get the best jobs, because these are the top schools in India. An LBS MiM may at best be at par with, or on occasion slightly below, these. This is, however, the Indian situation. The LBS MiM will of course have more sway when it comes to jobs in the UK/European region. 

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

IIM A/B/C by far. Due to Visa restrictions it's pretty hard to get recruited in the UK but not impossible if you already have experience in the industry you're targeting. For the rest of the EU, for consulting at least you need to speak the local language at native level.

I will also add that Indian recruiting mainly works through on-campus means. You will be at big disadvantage while trying to score internships/jobs from abroad.

Usefulness : If you look at LBS's curriculum it's an absolute joke. You will learn nothing special. Though the program will do a job improving your people/presentation skills. at IIM's you can specialize stuff and the value of the degree translates close to an MBA.
1 like
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thank you for the reply!

Just have a few more follow up questions:

I don't have any country-wise preferences as of now (ok with working in India as well as abroad) and I want to either work in a consultancy or a finance firm.

1. If I want to work in India, will I get better jobs than IIM A,B,C grads?
2. Due to the European crises, isn't their a dearth of good jobs in UK etc.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@sanit123

@sanit123

Hello guys!

I am currently pursuing B.Tech from IIT Delhi.

I wanted to know which is better-

MIM from LBS

or a

PGDM from IIM A,B,C

?

Please use the following parameters for comparison

1. Placement scenario

Both recruit for different markets and and unparalled in these markets (read countries).

@sanit123

2. Reputation:

spectacular reputations for both. Period.

@sanit123

3. Usefulness of the degree

Not having work experience could be a disadvantage as opposed to working a couple of years and then doing the MBA. But this is a personal choice for most applicants. However, you should consider this factor.

@sanit123

Please feel free to add more parameters and any other insights you may have.

Duration of the courses: LBS MiM is a 12 month program. May be too fast paced for you. IIM's PGDMs are 2 years long - more stretched out learning.

Cost: LBS is definitely more expensive and you may want to think about studying there from a cost/ financial aid/ visa perspective. Essentially you would need to earn top bucks (not in INR) so that you can pay off your debts quickly.

Geography- do you want to work in UK/ Europe post MBA?

CAT v/s GMAT- belling the CAT has never been easy. So is your GMAT more of your game?

@sanit123

I want to talk to people who have substantial knowledge about these things as I don't know have a lot information about MIM myself.

Hope that helps:)

Namita, MBA Decoder

http://mbadecoder.com|  Free Profile Evaluation| Ph: 9901566772. Ask us your queries on PagalGuy
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello guys!

I am currently pursuing B.Tech from IIT Delhi.

I wanted to know which is better- MIM from LBS or a PGDM from IIM A,B,C?

Please use the following parameters for comparison
1. Placement scenario
2. Reputation:
A. In India
B. Abroad
3. Usefulness of the degree

Please feel free to add more parameters and any other insights you may have.

Most of the people I talk to tell me that IIM's are better but a lot of them don't have much information about MIM from LBS.
I want to talk to people who have substantial knowledge about these things as I don't know have a lot information about MIM myself.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...