Mid life IT career crisis

2 Posts  ·  2 Users
About this group
This is a live case for puys on a career transition attempt and will appreciate your inputs: A very brief profile of mine: 1. 10+ years in the IT industry 2. Significant time spent in the US both as a supplier representative for...
Page 1 of 1
This is a live case for puys on a career transition attempt and will appreciate your inputs:

A very brief profile of mine:

1. 10+ years in the IT industry
  2. Significant time spent in the US both as a supplier representative for 4 years (Onsite Manager in common IT parlance, if you will) and as a Full time IT Project Manager for 3 years with a well-renowned Investment Management firm, all in New York
  3. Back to India for good for the last 2 years and working currently as a Program Manager for a leading listed India IT firm
I am now sure that Project and Program management and such IT delivery positions are not what I am passionate about. Dont ask me why I have realized this so late! Perhaps the money in the job made me oblivious and let me reach this point only at this time.
My passion is stocks and the stock market. So what formal/street knowledge do I have? I have been trading and investing as well for the last 10 years and my returns have beat the market primarily due to ESOPs, not that I am a great stock picker already. Barring those ESOPs I have underperformed the market.
With a view of becoming a fulltime market professional I have seriously considered obtaining the CFA charter. I have passed my L1 in Dec 2010 and confident of passing L3 by Jun 2012. It is not that just because I pass the exams some firm will hire me as a Portfolio Manager and entrust crores of money to be handled. Here is where my dilemma begins:
Am I too late to begin a career switch after 10+ years of experience in a field? So do I begin all over again like a greenhorn in Finance?
What kind of jobs are available if I complete my CFA and have no investment management experience? Can I attempt something with my having CFA Level 1 exam right now?
What recommendations puys have in this regard as an overall career strategy?
Constraints:
  1. I will need to maintain at least my current level of Salary, if not more, because of the commitments I have :-(
  2. I cannot take a break to do a 1-year MBA
Your views puys
PS: Trust me, I have searched the forum well and could not find something related and hence this query

Bro plz use the following thread for your query :

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/personal-career-cat-job-dilemma-queries-a-repository-25009670
https://www.facebook.com/abhishek.pnb
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
This is a live case for puys on a career transition attempt and will appreciate your inputs:

A very brief profile of mine:

1. 10+ years in the IT industry
  2. Significant time spent in the US both as a supplier representative for 4 years (Onsite Manager in common IT parlance, if you will) and as a Full time IT Project Manager for 3 years with a well-renowned Investment Management firm, all in New York
  3. Back to India for good for the last 2 years and working currently as a Program Manager for a leading listed India IT firm
I am now sure that Project and Program management and such IT delivery positions are not what I am passionate about. Dont ask me why I have realized this so late! Perhaps the money in the job made me oblivious and let me reach this point only at this time.
My passion is stocks and the stock market. So what formal/street knowledge do I have? I have been trading and investing as well for the last 10 years and my returns have beat the market primarily due to ESOPs, not that I am a great stock picker already. Barring those ESOPs I have underperformed the market.
With a view of becoming a fulltime market professional I have seriously considered obtaining the CFA charter. I have passed my L1 in Dec 2010 and confident of passing L3 by Jun 2012. It is not that just because I pass the exams some firm will hire me as a Portfolio Manager and entrust crores of money to be handled. Here is where my dilemma begins:
Am I too late to begin a career switch after 10+ years of experience in a field? So do I begin all over again like a greenhorn in Finance?
What kind of jobs are available if I complete my CFA and have no investment management experience? Can I attempt something with my having CFA Level 1 exam right now?
What recommendations puys have in this regard as an overall career strategy?
Constraints:
  1. I will need to maintain at least my current level of Salary, if not more, because of the commitments I have :-(
  2. I cannot take a break to do a 1-year MBA
Your views puys
PS: Trust me, I have searched the forum well and could not find something related and hence this query
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.