MICA Aspirants with not-so-great scores - CAT or XAT score?

142 Posts  ·  94 Users
About this group
Okay MICA hopefuls, What do we do? What do you do with a score thats quite terrible but you still dont want to give up hope? Here's my score: QA: 6.33 VA/RC: 18( according to CL....I dont even wanna think about IMS's answer key....Eve...
Page 1 of 15
CAT-15: 99.65 | QA:99.6 | DILR:99.96| IIM Calcutta, Batch of 2018
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

MICAT 1 forms are out???? 

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello guys

I have to apply for MICA. My CAT score is 88.25. Expecting somewhat better score in XAT (based on marks). Should i apply through XAT or CAT or both while filling the application form.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hi,

My name is Abhishek currently a graduate in B.Com (Hons) from Delhi University. I'm particularly interested in Advertising and Public Relations. I'm planning to work in a advertising firm so as to gain some work ex in the field and then later pursue post graduation in Advertising and Marketing Communications. Please guide me through the MICA admission process. I'm have certain queries listed below:

1) I have heard that MICA does not take into consideration CAT scores since recently, Instead they conduct a test known as MICAT. Is this true? Do we still have to appear for CAT or just the MICAT?

2) What are the other colleges providing post graduate degrees in this particular field in India?

Thanks in Advance.

Hi Abishek,

MICA does not accept CAT anymore. SIMC offers a similar degree.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

My name is Abhishek currently a graduate in B.Com (Hons) from Delhi University. I'm particularly interested in Advertising and Public Relations. I'm planning to work in a advertising firm so as to gain some work ex in the field and then later pursue post graduation in Advertising and Marketing Communications. Please guide me through the MICA admission process. I'm have certain queries listed below:

1) I have heard that MICA does not take into consideration CAT scores since recently, Instead they conduct a test known as MICAT. Is this true? Do we still have to appear for CAT or just the MICAT?

2) What are the other colleges providing post graduate degrees in this particular field in India?

Thanks in Advance.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Guys this information is WRONG . One of my friends had 85.44 percentile last year with 98.71 percentile in Verbal. He did NOT get a call.

This statement seems to be tailor made towards attracting more applications this year. The important things to be kept in mind are :

(A)If there are 120 seats this year , cut offs do not automatically go down !

The number of applicants is increasing every year.

Cut-offs of other institutes are going up . While that does not automatically mean the MICA cut-off is going to shoot up, it shows us that greater number of seats is not necessarily indicative of lower cut-offs .

This time we have XAT,CAT & GMAT routes available.Even if the number of seats goes upto 120.The cut-off seems unlikely to fall or even remain at last years' levels.

(B)How many candidates are they actually going to shortlist ?
The website says 2000 based on CAT,XAT and GMAT.

Fine,but it also says that candidates in the top 10 percentile (XAT & CAT) and ANYONE with 600+ in GMAT can expect a call.

GMAT isnt as tough as CAT/XAT.

What is the Equivalence formula ie , 'X' GMAT score='Y' CAT percentile='Y' XAT percentile.?

What is the proportion of seats to be apportioned between candidates applying through GMAT and candidates applying through CAT/XAT ?

These are the questions which need answers.

are u talking abt me?thts my case too...85,44 overall and 98.7 in va bt no call last year.....

by gauri....
also mica's registrar kgk pillai in a VSAT session at CL told the candidates that last year's cut off was 85 overall.

well this is either false marketing gimmick my mica or i think thy overlooked my application last year in which case thy have played with my career....
how come the registrar make such a comment.n if true how come i didnt get a call.

ur logic is right----cutoffs will still go up as increase in seat nullified by increase application and pple applying with multiple scores of multiple years.....my guess anythng above 90%ile.

and dotn bank upon the wensite saying no sectional cutoffs-IMI WEBSITE SAID THE SAME-BT SEE THY HAVE SECTIONALS OF 50%ILE this year.....so these people are so complacent and non transparent tht u never know-their words have no weightage.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hi guys!

i'm in a bit of a worry abt a call frm mica .. can anyone help me? my percentile scores for 2005 CAT are:

Verbal: 95
DI: 93
Quant: 68
Overall Percentile: 94.10

fresher with no work ex.. super extra currics. decent acads.

Hey! I think with that score u should get a call. Bcoz i had the same score last year
Verbal :94, overall:95.5..No work ex & i had a call from mica.

So do apply & start preparing seriously bcoz they call too many ppl for GD/PI & that is a tougher fight than the written test(that's where i lost)...ATB..even i am planning to reapply this year.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hi guys!

i'm in a bit of a worry abt a call frm mica .. can anyone help me? my percentile scores for 2005 CAT are:

Hey! I think with that score u should get a call. Bcoz i had the same score last year
Verbal :94, overall:95.5..No work ex & i had a call from mica.

So do apply & start preparing seriously bcoz they call too many ppl for GD/PI & that is a tougher fight than the written test...ATB..even
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
hi guys!

Hi All,

The cut off theory goes like this and I have this from a MICA Prof. "Cut-offs change each year. They depend on two things : A. No. of applicants to MICA B. Their overall performance in CAT/XAT. Therefore it is very difficult to tell what will be the cut off this year before the last date of receving the application."

I also agree dat at this time, it is better to concentrate on the future strategies of getting thru any institute rather than debate over procedures.

Pa-Gal
Only Gyan, no fire in ice!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Guys this information is WRONG . One of my friends had 85.44 percentile last year with 98.71 percentile in Verbal. He did NOT get a call. It seems to be tailor made to pull in greater applications. The important thing is : (A)If there are 120 seats this year , cut offs do not automatically go down ! The number of applicants is increasing every year.Cut-offs of other institutes are going up . While that is not automatically mean MICA cut-off is going to shoot up, it shows us that greater number of seats is not necessarily indicative of lower cut-offs .
(B)How many candidates are they actually going to shortlist ? even if 2000 candidates using CAT , XAT and GMAT only . Then is 99 percentile in CAT equal to 99 percentile in XAT ? How do you compare these scores to the GMAT scores. GMAT is a completely different type of exam.In case of a tie does the verbal percentile become decisive .

These are the questions which need answers.

Hi,
of crse your questions are valid enough......but then this is the way it is in MICA and you can nothing about it......the bottom line is that it is a very instt and the BEST in advertsisng.....its got amazing placements and from what i've heard life@MICA really rocks.......so you actually need to be worrying about making it through..........
In any case I have 93.13%ile with a VA of 87%ile.......as for last year the cut off was nothing less than 90 overall........and ya the website says that they don't look at sectional cut offs........in any case since i had taken my GMAT and had a gud engh score of 650 I applied with that as well........so hoping to get a call one way or the other....if I'm really lucky might just get 2.......lets c.....................
ALL THE BEST

Regards,
Akshay
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...