MBA or IAS

82 Posts  ·  51 Users
About this group
Hi All I have a serious career dilemma. Let me tell you my background first. I am a BE graduate (computers). After engineering, I came to USA and finished my MS in computers and Project management. I am also working in USA as a softwar...
Page 1 of 9

Hi guys,

I am working with a MNC ,after completing my Engineering and now i have 1.5 yrs experience.
I am bit confused as to choose what,MBA or IAS..I was preparing for MBA previously but I want to do IAS is the thought in my mind also...Please throw some light on as to what is better or positives of both..
Help is really appreciated..
Thanks in advance...
1 comment
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

What are the best global executive mba programs for business in Latin America?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I have read all the comments posted here but sadly they do not help solving the dilemma that this guy shared. Specially I read vishavjeet .. everything you said was not logical..

Heres what I think about both of these

IAS .. People fear to choose this because its hard to crack theres no other logics of not choosing this as these guys are discussing..

you can set up policies, help the people in your society, bring your Ideas in action and make some real changes and this way you are doing a great part for your country (as you know situations are very bad in our country and its driven by mute Mr. Manmohan=:) so I dont think its a bad Idea for people joining civil services and help the country grow.. I dont think everyone is corrupt .. and if you are corrupt from inside you do not even have to be an IAS ..you are already corrupt.. what about those people who are not IAS and corrupt, why for once you do not think that you are corrupt still you are not an IAS..

MBA.. one should do MBA if they are interested learning and applying Management strategies, if they dream becoming CEOs of big firms.. I am not sure about Money and cars that MBA people drive but i still know millions of MBAs who still earns less than 20K and who even works at McDonalds or PizzaHut 😃 .. I dont think all of MBA people make an impression and I dont think even if they earn good money many people know them and their work

Mr. vishwajeet talked about bosses .. IAS people are ruled by Bosses .. Are u kiddin 😃 MBA people are free and IAS is ruled by Bosses . IAS is like King of the whole district .. He does get orders from top but no one has direct control over IAS.. and if you are IAS you definetly are very smart and can rule Politicians who rule you .. dont you think ?

Conclusion .. I do think if you are damn interested in IAS you should prepare for it , if you lack interest dont even think about IAS.. just close your eyes and do MBA as billions of people do and agree with Vishwajeet ..

Hope it helps someway(Just posted coz I was in dilemma too, not meant to be Personal for anyone)

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

Recently I have made a career change. I have moved from being a core developer and have taken a job with a financial service company as a business analyst. My work is on SAS, excel, Macros etc. We generate reports and dashboards which helps analyze credit card holders behaviour.

Since this is an entirely new field for me, I would like to get some feedback on the switch. And also what options are available for me to choose in terms of further job changes. I would primarily want to land up as a business analyst in SDLC but could not get such a profile as I do not have a MBA degree.

What I want to understand is whether my experience as a data/tech analyst be helpful in landing up with a job as a business analyst in SDLC. I have experience of a developer.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello ..

I am a B.Tech graduate in Electrical engg.
Currently working as Asst, Manger in state Electricity Distribution company.. I have completed my B.tech in 2010.I am really worried about my career. I am in a quandary what to do next?? Whether I should go for an MBA or prepare for civil services.. Am appearing CAT-2013 this year and only a few months left.. So suggest me with your views in choosing the correct career path..
Thank you..
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hey guyz.which iz d best coaching centre for ias in delhi?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hi all

i m a final year engineering student.. with a 55% aggregate.. i m not into engineering and would like to do either MBA or civil services... i can crack CAT with a very good percentile but my luv is civil services(IFS especially), but i m really worried about my studing habits and my sudden mood swings,, should i first give CAT, gain some confidence and then try for CS?? really confused

one more thing with that percentage in b.tech i will not get any gud job

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@vishwajeet is speaking as if he has cleared both the Exams...

IAS top 100
CAT 99.99pc

There is no point discussing a really futile point. U study go abroad, send money to home increase the investment of the country. A IIT aspirant who studies for 18 hours a day contributes to the Knowledge Capital of the country. A MBA who drives a BMW and resides in one of the most posh colonies of country employs a thousand employees. Its hard to imagine India the way we do without the big corporate houses. IAS officer on the contrary contributes in his best possible way. Earlier the pool of IAS officers were poor and most importantly driven by curroption. Now majority of IAS officers are either IITans or toppers of university who could have easily bagged a hefty 70-80K salary. So there is not point arguing. The thread started with promise and could have answered a lot of career dilemmas, unfortunately someone came with this rather idiotic idea of comapring both for no reason at all. Honestly I would rate IAS to be a tougher exam than CAT any day simply because of the reason that you need to toil hard for huge amount of time. If you are cracking all MBA from an elite institute, you have done wonders to your carrer. So pointless discussion leads us to nowhere just as the way it did.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

vishavjeet.............Bhai u have given an awesome speech for the all the ppl who nvr go up to ground reality of our country and they always think of comfortableness and life security.

But Bhai I just wana say Corporate can bring changes for common ppl life and can help in daily life living in easy way by giving job.
But dear they can't change or control Law and Order of country to maintain all peace at a small district and villages where our 60% of population lives.
So we the young generation should learn by all the past act done by all prestigious officers that we have to become an IAS or IPS to improve the current status of Law and Order of country and those who wana go for corporate they should as Tata and Ambani did for people.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

well said dude@ vishwajeet!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...