MBA Career prospects for IT professionals

23 Posts  ·  16 Users
About this group
Hi all, I've done my btech in computer science and am currently working in an IT firm... I'll be writing my GMAT this august.. Most of the schools asks specifics about why MBA, where do u see yourself 5 / 10 years from now... which...
Page 1 of 3

Hi All,

I might be lil diff than lot of the folks in this discussion. As for me, coding is my passion. So, IT really does not suck for me ! i hv abt 4 yrs of exp in IT n m currently managing a team of 10 looking after multiple technologies n ensuring project deliverables. so i not only do the tech stuff but also ensure the associates are motivated enuf and ensure the project meets the timelines (or call 'em deadlines). my work also involves coordinating with client in US.

ok.. now on, why do i want to do GMAT--

first, to be honest, i dont think i can make to CAT.. i just don't hv time (or rather 'will') to prepare for the same. GMAT seems to be relatively an easier task !
second, I think i hv in me the kindaa folks ISB looks for (ISB is my aim)
third, I feel that getting into ISB wud be to my true potential.. so even though i enjoy working, it feels irritating when sbdy else giving less output (in terms of work) and lesser experience gets promoted at ur rank n draw an equal salary. I know I can crack GMAT (thats is confidence n not over-confidence 😉 ) n prove to this guys n my bosses what I am.

- fundoo

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Hi Rajiv,

I believe 2 months is more than enuf if you are willing to put in a little more effort.
I started 2 months back cause I knew that between work, I might not get the same amount of time each day.

And no, Ive not gone for any coahing classes. If u r interested Ive seen ads of Priceton. I think its in Jayangar or JP nagar, not sure though.

-Nisha

Nisha,

I too plan to take up GMAT in Aug'06. Can you tell me the time-frame you been prepraring for? as i started preparing about a week ago, having exactly about 2months to the GMAT.

Also, did you attaned any institutes in bangalore for coaching for this?

Thanks,
-RAJIV.

Hi ,

Actually both Dinu and Amit are right, depending on how many years you have been into the IT industry and the work culture of the specific company that you work for.

If you are a fresher, with an experience of less than 2-3 years, then it is very difficult to lay down your rules at office or telling your superior that its his problem that he had agreed to a particular deadline or just doing work that interests you. You would wind up with a bad reputation at office, of not being able to pull your weight in a team. The end result being that your boss would give you a bad appraisal or tend to overlook you for any new responsibilties that might have been interesting.:satisfie:

Plus a major factor is the company you work for. Many IT comapnies are now on a recruiting spree among freshers just out of college, mainly cause they can be paid less than a lateral and one can train freshers in any field for which there is requirement.
In such a case , it is very difficult for the fresher to refuse working in a particular domain even if he is not interested and in general would not have that much lee way.

Having said this, I must say that if you have an affinity for this field then you should stick it out for the initial period. After you have a strong domain knowledge, you can draw the line at unjustified or unfair demands from your bosses. Plus you can command the salary you wish. You can take certifications and always be one step ahead of the demand in your field.

I may be wrong in all this. But i can draw only from personal experience. As a fresher, I never had the clout to draw the line. I got transfered to places that I didn't want to. First got trained in Java and than in SAP. Not for once , do the HR people ask or even listen to our requirements. They have just one refrain " Be Flexible. be it domain or places ".

But then I see the way seniors and laterals get their way. There are people three years into developement, who have such good rep for the quality of their work , that their demands for sabattical from the comapany, onsite opprtunities are all granted, just so that the talent can be retained.

IT or for that matter , any job would suck if you don't want to be in it in the first place or you are in it for all the wrong reasons.

Wheew! thats it guys.. sorry it was sooo long...

Till next time 😃
-Nisha

Dinu,

So you have to stay late in night what stops you from coming tot he office at 12. Have you tried it? My friends in sales/marketing envy the fact that I can sleep as longas I want with no alarm clocks.

Well if Ur manager says sorry he accepted it without correct planning you can tell the manager its his problem,not yours. Have you tried saying it? Tellign him he made a mistake so he should suffer you wont come on weekends or work late.

No finding another job is not problemetaic for the cgood people ever. I wont recomemnd it but I do know people who regularly have changed 1 job per year and they are still sought after. And you dont have to leave immediately, you can fight it out. And it doesnt come back to haunt you if U alwasy attack the decisions and judgeents not the person. And I knwow enough peopel who have job hopped it doesnt come back to hit you as Ur differences are only with one manager not with the organisation. i ahev changed mutiple companies for differnt reasons and I stillhave open offers from all of them to join back anytime I want and have fought in each one of them.

Stand up and recognise yourself, if U think U cant fight if other push you they will keep on pushing you again and again and yes then life will suck.

As for casual wear try doing business with Japanes or east coast customers without proper attire. The cluture we are following is west coast, which gives us loads of leeway.

And dont think of the majority think of Urself only. You are responsible for your life no one else if you think majority cant stakebe decisive in life and U can its Ur advantage.

Ho w many 40+ IT people do you know who have spend all their lives in the IT industry. LEts assume a avg age of 40+ as 45 that will put them at 24 yrs of work ex. i.e they started in software in 2006-24=1982. How many of them do you know? The majority of the 40+ people who are seeing are career switchers who switched as managers from other industries and since then have found that the IT industry unsatisfactory. You are planning the same, shift from one to another how sure can U be that U wont have the same feelings as they do today.

-Amit

dude..ur views r fine..but i still blv that it aint so cool as it looks....

Well I have t disagree here. Life doesnt suck in IT development, we make it suck by our actions, by the work culture we follow. The main difference is in the other functions a person cant survive without being proactive.
You dont get sales deal sitting at home or in a nice cozy AC office desk.
Same thing applies in dev too if you keep on doing whats asked of U life will suck. The Q is how proactive can you be. ( Even in IT u have to proactive...i spend half of my day with my clients..which in turn boomerangs into sitting late into the night...but can;t help..."client is the king"...i cant bang the phone even if i have loads of work to do..)There are always things that are interesting, but how many times do we take the risk of reaching out and grabbing it, of challenging the management. In addition we dont learn how to say NO to unncessary demands like working in weekends or late nights.( mate...none wants to work on weekends...and lotsa ppl put their opinion frankly....but it all depends on how ur superior manages with the client...if he nods head to deliver something in a stiff deadline....it boils down to the dev to slog and finish it...coz u cant go bak n say...sorry i accepted that unknowingly w/o estimation)
I was personally lucky to work outside under US managers and then had the guts/self confidence to say NO and also to be proactive, well which results in my assigned work lagging but I get to do the work which gives me more visibility and more satisfaction. (consider the majority of the population buddy....)
And if things dont work out we have the option of calling it quits and easily finding a job with better salries before the notice period is over which is a rarity in other professions. ( come on be realistic....u can easily find alternate jobs...but it hits u back later in life)

As for timings folks make Ur own, u are not in a call center you need not rely on a bus, you can come and go as U please as long as U attend Ur meetings irrespective of if Ur company has official flexi time or not. Other benefits U need not shave everyday,U need not look perfect everyday, U dont need to dress in a tie everday, you need to speak in sweet words to everyone everyday. ( these form a part of proffesional etiquette...and arises out of self-discpline...i have seen enough of marketing wizards who dont shave...it all depends on how u project urself infront of others...if i feel i can get the sale done even in casual wear...thats it..nothing can stop me..and btw there r dresscodes which r applicable for all depts..)..

Having said this, i would also like to put up something regarding the longetivity of a career in IT vis-a-vis traditional industries....Here lotta ppl get frustrated by the time they r 40+....i do agree there r 55+ guys....but look @ the majority........

Amit, pls take these as my personal comments...no intentions for a debate/fight with ny1

cheers
NK

-Amit

Well said Amit...
couldnt agree with u more...

This thread got me thinking and I wrote something here:
http://askpsycho.blogspot.com/

Arun

So finally you have ur blog!!!! Good to see that...was waiting for it...

Catch me on http://ashishyahoo.blogspot.com...

Ashish
MDI Gurgaon(Batch of 2009)

Well I have t disagree here. Life doesnt suck in IT development, we make it suck by our actions, by the work culture we follow. The main difference is in the other functions a person cant survive without being proactive.You dont get sales deal sitting at home or in a nice cozy AC office desk.

Same thing applies in dev too if you keep on doing whats asked of U life will suck. The Q is how proactive can you be. There are always things that are interesting, but how many times do we take the risk of reaching out and grabbing it, of challenging the management. In addition we dont learn how to say NO to unncessary demands like working in weekends or late nights.

I was personally lucky to work outside under US managers and then had the guts/self confidence to say NO and also to be proactive, well which results in my assigned work lagging but I get to do the work which gives me more visibility and more satisfaction.

And if things dont work out we have the option of calling it quits and easily finding a job with better salries before the notice period is over which is a rarity in other professions.

As for timings folks make Ur own, u are not in a call center you need not rely on a bus, you can come and go as U please as long as U attend Ur meetings irrespective of if Ur company has official flexi time or not. Other benefits U need not shave everyday,U need not look perfect everyday, U dont need to dress in a tie everday, you need to speak in sweet words to everyone everyday.

-Amit

true abishek...IT life sucks...but then to a certain extent it also depends on where one is in an IT company...i know guys in my company who r in pre-sales, markting and consulting....for them its cool....but if u r in a developer bandwagon....thoieeeeeee....that sucks...

Abhishek Jha Says
Seriously speaking guys, no IT after MBA!! IT life sucks, god save IT slaves:)