MBA after very long work experience (10+ years)

26 Posts  ·  121 Users
About this group
Just thought of starting this thread for those people who have a very high work experience in terms of no. of years (10+) and who want to pursue MBA. Like me I'm sure there a a few others here as well who can get involved in this discussion. ...
Page 1 of 3

Business colleges around the globe lean toward selecting contender with experience  for their MBA programs. A working proficient can have an edge over fresher because of their reasonable work experience amassed with classroom studies. For more read 

https://edudrona.com/importance-of-experience-while-pursuing-mba/?mref=oshipau

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

well this is a very old thread. any options and insight into an MBA post 10 years of experience and how to go about it and the ROI

1 like1 comment
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello Puys,

What's your take on going for a 2 years MBA from a top 15 B-school in India after having 6.5 years of work experience in IT services? I know a 1-year MBA is specially designed for aspirants with such work experience but on the other hand I want to give sufficient time to learn and grow into management concepts. I somehow think that 1 year MBAs are so fast-tracked that it won't give ample time to learn.

I don't have any issues with staying in IT industry - rather will be happy to have a career in Consulting or Analytics. But, I would like to explore other areas like Marketing, Strategy etc. That, I believe, will be possible in a 2 years MBA.

But, questions that concerns:
- Having 6+ years experience in IT domain will it be considered negative approach by the top B-School adcoms to aspire for 2 years MBA?
- Will I be considered less competent or suitable during placements? I just heard this thing from few people that after 2 year MBAs the recruiters doesn't prefer candidates with 5+ years experience.

Please advise.

Regards
1 comment
iec073
@iec073  ·  0 karma

did you get any answer on this?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

suggestions on executive MBA in telecom based in Pune...weekend only course...Have work ex of over 5 years...any suggestions , please help!

😁😁
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hi.....I come from an IT background...good work experience in IT company in Pune...now looking for executive MBA options in pune...preferably a weekend only program so that I can balance my work with my studies...want to specialize further in IT..have heard about SCIT...any suggestions or ideas on IT b schools in pune

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi !!! I have more than 10 years of experience and now I want to do an MBA .. I am searching for an one year MBA program €Ś.. How is S P Jain Global ?? Can anyone tell me about the eligibility criteria and the selection process??

1 comment
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

MICA Memoirs touches upon the dilemma of a Long-distance MBA:

http://mica.mbas.in/going-the-distance-long-distance-mba/

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Long distance vs. Full Time?

what MICA Memoirs says:

http://mica.mbas.in/when-is-long-distance-mba-a-good-option/

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I am in the same boat and deliberating cautiously. No final decision as yet.

You need to define you TRUE purpose of study (not the eaasy one!!). There should be one and only one purpose, rest are just secondary. If you are not sure then start from the very basic, do you need to do an MBA?

For me it is 'knowledge', strange but true, I have reason for that. money, career change, progression etc are not so important as I am already doing pretty well, neither cost of the study is a determining factor. You need to understand very clearly your priorities and key objective. Don't fool yourself!!

For knowledge, I am more inclined to UK colleges over US and rest of EU knowing fully that it is a major gamble as UK job market is tough for Indians, even if you are from the top 3 and not interested in Finance. Yes, it is tough. Some one got some flying job does not mean that you will also get. If you are interested in IT or any finance job then may be a bit different. Then again, that defeats your purpose of changing industry. Dear friend, you do not have much time to experiement.

Secondly, most of the UK courses are 1 year, except LBS in the top league. Then again, LBS is more for Finance.

Indian school, you need to understand whether you like the Indian style of management or American or European style.

Whatever it is, it is a major risk as not necessarily you will get a job as per your current position, excluding IT. I am from a traditional and conservative industry , where you need to move up in the lader. I am not sure whether I can come back to my industry or not. Definitely I would not go to IT industry like TCS/Infy/Wipro after doing my MBA, I an not that desparate.

Anyway, learn from this forum and focus on your GMAT.

A word of caution, no offence to others, this forum has mostly 2-5 years IT guys, who may not be able to appreciate your way of thinking.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

I am also in similar situation with 9 years IT experience and now as a Project Manager. Want to move out of IT and currently in US. I have strong domain knowledge in Insurance and have completed FLMI. Would MBA in Organizational behaviour be useful considering the fact of career shift? Pls suggest..

Thanks
Shri

1 comment
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...