MBA Admissions - thread of gyans

105 Posts  ·  59 Users
About this group
I am starting this thread as an effort to accumulate all gyan-wali posts all over PG. Based on inblue's recommendations, the focus will be on the following three areas of the application: 1\. Essay Writing 2\. Obtaining effective Recommenda...
Page 1 of 11

This thread seems to have moved beyond its original intent.

Locked.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
I need help!

Hi...i did my grad in bsc comp science...and therefore i have only 15 years of education...i understand that most good b-schools in u.s. accept only 16 years of education...i have been told that i could do a 1 yr pg diploma course...please suggest what are the courses available to me that could be accepted by the top colleges in u.s....oh yeah...i also have almost two years of work-ex and am still working so cant go for a full time masters programme....

a lot of schools in the top 30 take 15yrs.. of the top15, most take except i think ross, berkeley and anderson.. the east coast schools are ok with it..
purdue, kelley and fisher are not.. there's no blanket rule - i'd suggest writing to the schools you are interested in and finding out!

roughly:

15 years accepted

wharton, ISB, chicago, columbia, kellogg, tuck, nyu stern, yale, LBS, cornell, darden, cmu tepper, mit sloan, harvard,simon and emory

15 years NOT accepted

berkeley (haas), michigan ross, texas mccombs, krannert purdue, anderson, kenan-flagler (NC), ohio fisher, georgetown, olin (washington U)

but like i said.. please CHECK!

hope this helped.
I need help!

Hi...i did my grad in bsc comp science...and therefore i have only 15 years of education...i understand that most good b-schools in u.s. accept only 16 years of education...i have been told that i could do a 1 yr pg diploma course...please suggest what are the courses available to me that could be accepted by the top colleges in u.s....oh yeah...i also have almost two years of work-ex and am still working so cant go for a full time masters programme....

Hey dude,

Dunno where you got ur info from, but most schools in US accept the standard Indian 15 years os education..

The schools in CANADA need 16 years of education and almost every school there is quite particular about it.. As far US is concerned, u neednt worry.. Ur 15 year education will suffice..

Sameer

I need help!

Hi guys

am in need of some serious help and advice and that too real fast....so hoping to get a lot of inputs from you guys to make up my mind

My Query is more of a pre application one for the time being

First my profile

Did BCA(3 years undergraduate degree,not a 4 year one),through correspondence(distance mode) from kurukshetra university in india.passed out in 2007

My view is that you have already answered your own questions. I think you have a pretty unique profile and any school will be happy to have a serious look at your application. Certainly the top 10.

jskarrer

certainly not a paga guru 😃 but will try to give you my 2paisa bit anyway..
dont agree abt needing managerial wkexp... i have none of that.. and ive got a columbia admit (plus some others too).. i had just over 2yrs wkexp when i started apping and only an undergrad degree from DU.. so i dont think anyone Expected me to have managerial experience..
the point is to show Leadership in some way.. if not at work then elsewhere.. you have to show that youre potential CEO material, know how to be in a team and lead.. and that you've had some leadership experiences outside of work.. maybe in college heading a club, or as simple as being the captain of your neighbourhood cricket team, and sorting out some people-issues! that could be an interesting story and could show an interesting side of you!

hey ppl n all the PAGAL gurus out there .. pls help me out on this one ..

In India we're a lot of young IT guyz .. the software engineers working at top MNC's .. so evrybody has professional work ex ..

My quest here is whether the global B-Schools accept our professional work ex or they only want a managerial work ex. .. what are the chances of ppl like us ..

Till now I've seen only Nanyang B-School statting clearly about acceptance of managerial as well as professional work ex.
LBS asks for managerial only ..
Can anyone shed some gyan on this .... plz plz plz !!! :-?

hey ppl n all the PAGAL gurus out there .. pls help me out on this one ..

In India we're a lot of young IT guyz .. the software engineers working at top MNC's .. so evrybody has professional work ex ..

My quest here is whether the global B-Schools accept our professional work ex or they only want a managerial work ex. .. what are the chances of ppl like us ..

Till now I've seen only Nanyang B-School statting clearly about acceptance of managerial as well as professional work ex.
LBS asks for managerial only ..
Can anyone shed some gyan on this .... plz plz plz !!! :-?

hi guys,

I am just reporting here that essayandsop.com, b-school essay editing ppl in town are actually fraudualent. I paid them money (BIGGEST mistake) to get my essay edited in some discount deal. They edited 2 essays and made them much worse. There were spelling and grammatical mistakes in it. My friends who are in b-school and one of them who is a prof at US univ. told me strictly to not to use essayandsop after reading my essays. But since I have already paid them, I asked them to edit other essays too. To my surprise, after 7 days I got a reply, that your essays are perfect. So no edits.
Here is a summary, I found essayandsop.com as,
Very unprofessional,
they do not provide any contact no. (just email id).
Did not allow me to talk to editor (as claimed in site), poor response time in emails.

I am not sure whether this site has proven beneficial in getting anybody admission. If yes, then congrats, but I will declare this service as bogus.

Hi,

I am planning to apply for MBA schools in 2009 and I have some queries regarding the same.

My profile is as follows:
Indian / Engineering / IT / male
Experience : 9 (by the time of joining college)
Work experience : All my 9 years I would have spent in the Automotive domain - hard core embedded systems work. Have been leading teams for the past 4 years.I would have spent around 3 years at the client site performing onsite co-ordination activities.Majority of my 9 years would have been spent more in a technical role rather than managerial role.
International exposure : Around 3 years.
GMAT : Planning to take it in April 2008 and hoping for a good score.

My reasons for doing MBA are as follows:
Planning to switch over to a career in consulting and on a long term planning to be involved in strategy consulting.I know a jump from IT to strategy consulting is very difficult.
Hence planning to move over to roles of technology consulting - either in IT or automotive domain - and then after some experience move on to hardcore consulting work.

your questions have already been answered quite well but i'd like to add:

5. How big a disadvantage, while applying for b-schools, is the fact that I have spent more time in a technical role rather than a managerial role?
its not a disadvantage at all, if you can show steady growth in manegerial areas... if you spent your recent years in a managerial role, you should be fine.
in consulting you need a certain amount of industry knowledge: your deep understanding of the auto industry can be used to your advantage.
in my opinion, a bigger issue may be convincing the ad-com and future employers that you are willing and ready to start afresh in a whole new career, and that you have logical, strong reasons to do so; and also why you need an mba to crack consulting. (u could very well be asked why you didnt leverage yuor extensive experience to move into an auto consulting co, and then to a strat consulting role.)
Hi,

I would like you all to analyze my chances... I really need to go this year...

My profile:

Indian/Programmer Analyst/ Female
Work Ex: 2yrs by Fall '08
Academics: 85 school, 93 inter, 82 engineering
GMAT: 720 (49Q, 40V)
Student coordinator for placement division in college, class representative in departmental organization, organized various cultural, literary and technical dos.
Part of team in office for organizing events.
Community service: ever since junior high
Reason for MBA: Business really drives me. I want to be able to set up a firm, contribute my mite to the Indian economy and give back to the society.

I'm planning to apply to Tippie(Iowa), Terry(Georgia), Smeal(Penn), Wisconsin(Madison) primarily because I think I stand a chance in these schools and to get some aid which is important for me.

Chandana

dont know much about these schools; but you should look at vanderbilt as a possibility as well.