Manmohan Singh-Architect of Liberalisation

16 Posts  ·  10 Users
About this group
Hi Junta It is almost certain that Dr. Manmohan Singh is going to be the next PM. If if he fails to become the PM , I thought we should be starting a thread to discuss on the architect of Liberalisation in India. I first saw this gentlema...
Page 1 of 2

i request chuparusdtam to first find out exactly what happened and maybe that will reinforce his belief in manmohan!

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

laloo's request fr home has been apperently turned down

anyone saw Dr singh's granson . boy he speaks so maturely at such a young age. 😃

saxenakush Says
Jairam Ramesh, Jalan, Rangarajan et al are all very good economists but Dr. Singh is way better than all of them and I think its most logical for him to retain FM wid himself. Thatd avoid al lot of heartburns. I wonder who will get the defence portfolio Laloo is tipped to be the next home minister!

wldnt that be too much of a burden-running the coalition itself is going to be a thankless full time job.and fin min is one area where the minister cannot adopt a hands off approach.But probably in the short term,it wld be a good idea.Becos,if he appoints anyone now,it wld have to be a compromise candidate,else it may rock the coalition boat.Six months down the line,he wld hv a much clearer idea abt the elbow room he has.hopefully,then he can get Chid in.

Laloo cld hv actually demanded the home ministry since he has 18 MPs.Thankfully,there is a hitch in it -he has been chargesheeted by the CBI.If u remember,some years back,he was forced to quit his CMship by congress and the left on the very same grounds.So highly unlikely that they wld now give in to laloos demands.
defence to pawar (as he has already held that post before)?

Jairam Ramesh, Jalan, Rangarajan et al are all very good economists but Dr. Singh is way better than all of them and I think its most logical for him to retain FM wid himself. Thatd avoid al lot of heartburns. I wonder who will get the defence portfolio Laloo is tipped to be the next home minister!

Bashers rejoice - Manmohan Singh's place of birth is now in Pakistan ;-)

And so is Advani's .. remember!!!

more than opposition from the congress,it wld be the left who try to prevent C from getting that post.They just cannot poltically afford to hv two hard core reformers occupying the top slots.There is talk of a jalan or rangarajan getting the ministry.Thats not a good idea .we already hv a top class technocrat in singh.In this politically difficult imes,we definitely need a seasoned politican on the hot seat to do the tight rope walk between politics and economics.and i cant think of a better guy than C .so its a pity C is not a serious contender for the post.Pranab too wld hv been a reasonable choice though i think he is more leftist than reformist.Reports say he lobbied hard for the post of PM.can understand his reluctance to work under singh.he as the FM had appointed singh as guv.
hey,what abt jairam ramesh for the post-of course he suffers the same lacunae as C,from the left pt of view,i.e,highly pro-reform.But he is a close confidant of sonia.You hv got to say one thing abt sonia,whatever her weaknesses,she has the great quality of identifying and valuing talent.unlike her predecessors,she doesnt get misled by coterie politicians.See the kind of CMs she chose-krishna,dixit,gehlot,digvijay.and at the central level-ppl like singh,jairam,sibal etc.
Hope she continues with the same policy of rewarding taent in the ministry forming erercise

Chidambram seems to be an unlikely choice. He was out of congress fold for almost a decade and Im sure Top congress leaders wont like to see an erstwhile rebel as FinMin. Beyond Chidambram n Mukherjee I cant think of anyone competent enough to hold FM portfolio.

I guess the FinMin will remain with Dr. Singh because mukharji has apparently declined to accept it. Lets hope the Left Front lets Dr. Singh implement the right kind of economic policies.

yes... apparently mukherji has reservations bout workin under the guy whom he'd brought in as RBI governor (?) during his tenure as FinMin.....
Chidambaram shud really be a gud candidate... but some apprehensions in congress apparently due to his party-shiftin earlier....
dont think the PM also handlin FinMin is such a hot idea..... wudnt he already have 2 many things to take care of??

o n heard somewhere bout an episode during PV N Rao's tenure, when singh had devalued the rupee and rao developed cold feet....
apparently singh staved off the pressure from his PM by saying tat he was unable to reach the RBI governor over the phone (Mera Phone Nahi Lagta 😉 ).... lol
tats the kinda stuff our new PMs made of ..... hats off 2 him 😃
saxenakush Says
I guess the FinMin will remain with Dr. Singh because mukharji has apparently declined to accept it. Lets hope the Left Front lets Dr. Singh implement the right kind of economic policies.

Why ? What happened to P.Chidambaram ??

Bashers rejoice - Manmohan Singh's place of birth is now in Pakistan 😉

I agree that the liberalization process was started because of shabby condition of Indian economy in 1991 and of course due to the pressure of IMF, World bank etc but it was Dr. Singh who actually worked out all the policies and implemented the reforms successfully. Narsimha Rao invited Dr. Singh to take charge of the Finance Ministry because he wanted a sound economist to carry out the liberalization process. And sound economic decisions were just what we got from Dr. Singh.

Kush

PS-> Dont know if I am correct but probably Dr. Singh is the most academically qualified PM India has ever had.