London Business School alum answering questions

6 Posts  ·  4 Users
About this group
Hi all, I didn't seem to come across a thread on life at LBS. Seeing that I am a recent LBS graduate and very passionate about LBS and it's MBA programme, I thought of starting the thread on LBS. I am here to answer any questions you may...
Page 1 of 1

Hi,
first of all thanks for your proactive thread. I am planning about applying in London Business School but not sure aboutmy probable chance of getting there.

My GMAT score: 710
Work exp: 6.5 years (in IT)
Experience outside India, in client-facing position: 3 years in US

My GMAT score might be low for LBS; also I am worried about extra-curriculur activities; I have participated and organized a few events in school and college life but nothing major. I never worked with an NGO ; neither doI have any such certificate to showcase. Does this lower my chance of getting there?

ANy kind of suggestion will be helpful.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks! That helps a lot.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi TechFinance,
The one thing that I would recommend is to start thinking about what internship/post MBA career you'd want since you don't get any time to think about it and the career office starts asking you to structure your CV from day one. Obviously you need to know what industry/role you want to apply to in order to structure your CV. I found that the initial months are so busy with the intense classes, getting to know people, attending on campus events, that one hardly gets any time to focus on what they want to do for their internship.

My second suggestion would be to start linking in with people in the field you want to get in rightaway. Don't wait until you have started your b-school or for the career office to set up events. Believe me, most of the successful students were the ones who knew exactly what they wanted to do and act on it BEFORE the programme started...

With regards laptop, unlike the American b-schools, LBS does not allow laptops in the classes unless it is specifically required for a course. I know that people had a problem with Apple since most of the stuff is run off windows. Once you join the LBS community ( I am assuming you've made it to LBS), they will assign you your own email add and a link to the LBS portal where you could get answers to all technical questions amongst others...

Depending on your definition of expensive, I would say that LBS has a canteen (sit in) which costs around 6 (decent sized meal). The other bars (Nash bar and the coffee shop) have some sandwhiches, bagels,soups etc, which would cost you anything between 3-6.

Hope this helps...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I appreciate the offer!

What do you recommend doing at the beginning of the course, besides meeting as many people as possible and any mandatory things?

What kind of laptop/pad computer do you recommend?

How expensive is food around campus?

Thanks!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thread moved to International MBA section and renamed to LBS queries.

I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi all,

I didn't seem to come across a thread on life at LBS. Seeing that I am a recent LBS graduate and very passionate about LBS and it's MBA programme, I thought of starting the thread on LBS.

I am here to answer any questions you may have on LBS right from life on the LBS campus to the applicatin/essays/interview process at LBS.

In a nutshell, I have 10 years of Banking experience and have been based in London for the last 14 years. What really attracted me to LBS was its location (key for placements), the level of focus on diversity of the class, the school's culture and ofcourse, its brand.

An advise to anyone applying to b-schools abroad- since it is a huge financial investment (to say the least), nake sure the school is the RIGHT fit for you. Just because it is an LBS, INSEAD or Wharton doesnt automatically make it the best school for you. I got through LBS, INSEAD, Chicago GSB and was waitlisted at Wharton, but when I visited the schools' events, spoke with the respective alumni bodies, I knew that LBS was the perfect match for me.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...