Life@IIFM Bhopal

32 Posts  ·  57 Users
About this group
Hello friends, This thread will provide all the information about life in Indian Institute of Forest Management Bhopal. It will throw light on how awesome campus and infrastructure is? How does a residential course make a difference? why IIFM is...
Page 1 of 4

Hey Man, Thanks for your deep information on IIFM. But can you please put some more light on placements, avg pckg, highest pckg and what kind of profile companies offer to IIFM students. I would be really grateful to you as I am also looking forward to join IIFM.:p

For all such queries placement and package related questions, please see the latest admission query page for the IIFM.
Life@IIFM page is to showcase what IIFM is all about and the kind of experience and exposure you get over here.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Three years back when I started thinking of writing CAT and land in a B-school, I came across a very exciting name of an institute and that to providing business education and managerial know-how. It was no other than Indian Institute of Forest management Bhopal, from where I am scripting this post. Right now I am sitting under a green tree canopy and monsoon drizzling is making the whole atmosphere harmonious.
Yes, for a moment I was lost in watching flock of birds playing in a group a few feet away from me. I was saying that when I heard of term Forest Management, I didnt believe that at that moment. I googled for it and the whole notion started changing and taking a new form. One of my seniors got in IIFM for 2007-09 batch and all the news, vibes, air and fragrance started flowing towards my side that day onwards.
Indian Institute of Forest Management is not just about Forest Management. The term forest management is more of symptomatic rather than being a comprehensive. There is no doubt that IIFM is a sector-specific b-school and it has a few limitations associated with that. But at the same time it enjoys certain privileges of the same sector. It deals with the holistic aspects of Development, Environment, Climate Change, Livelihood and Conservation. Rather talking as an intellectual let me say IIFM is an Asias stalwart in Grassroots related management education.
Having strength of twenty passed out batches in the core industry and sector it has global reputation. You name any organization or agency dealing with the sectors and fields I mentioned above, you will find an IIFMite working or more probably, heading that organization. There is nothing in boasting and filling air with illusive image of an Institute where we spend two precious years of our life. Even if I have courage to do so, I will never need to do so. Because there are real successes stories associated with our alumni. I will come to that later on; let me tell you more about campus and life herein.
A large stretch of lush green campus (over 241acres), bigger than the village I did my schooling, architectural award winning building-blocks and a serene feeling of being at the top of the world, not world then at least top of the Bhopal. Chirping of birds, whistling of crickets, chorus of a couple of hundred species (not excluding human beings: I mean we) make it a one of the best b-school at this part of the globe. Visit it during July-January and you will say what you have just read. Really, awesome campus, world class infrastructure (I dont know who does define this term) and modern management training tools, above all most acclaimed, highly intellectual and (what adjective to use) down to earth faculty members. Most of the faculty members are above 50 with more than two decades of experience in industry and their respective sectors.
Now let me come to the point, here in IIFM one does not get time to sleep: I am saying so because one hardly wants to sleep in such a lively campus. Life begins with the sun rising as usual, rush to mess and then process of enlightenment continues till the dusk, lunch break apart. Then we are back in our dens but just to begin a second day in the same twenty four hours stretch. Some of us rush to sports complex, some towards cafeteria and those who need more Gyan towards library. Most of us are busy in handling their respective clubs activities. Yup CLUBS.... we do have six clubs all taking care of your personality enhancement, leisure and entertainment. It is in these clubs and other students committees where we learn real management. Everything from mess, guest lecture, internships to placement is handled by us, the students only. We do live far from home but not from hearts and that is here that one comes to know the importance of residential program. Learning process continues till your eyes are open and ears are sensitive to do their job. Dinner brings a new spectrum of managed chaos and divided harmony. Why I do say so? For this you will have to come to IIFM... because words are not always efficient enough to communicate real experiences.
IIFM has student from all streams of education; professional education preferably. They do stand on one platform and make this small world of ours a most happening place at the city of lakes in the heart of India.
A few points one aspirant always looks for:
Food quality: I can bet that it is better than any other B-school because we have students cooperative to run and manage it. Si decision is always ours.
Hostel: Vast room, all facilities, Wi-Fi and LAN enabled
Studies: One has to....
Sports: All of them whether indoors or outdoors... but make sure that you can play volleyball or badminton at 2 am.
Placement: Touching new pinnacle year after year... 100% since inception. Here you look for 5 years down the line... because it is in job profile rather than figures quoted in CTC and company charging you for your 4*4 cabin...
The IIFM campus is something that one needs to explore and exploit for betterment of your batch and your brand Institution. We always do that whether its dawn or dusk, afternoon or midnight. Birds of a feather flock together ... and we are here to do that. Y? Aray kabhi kabhi assignments time par pura nahi hota to do-teen paanch ese students mil hi jaate he... But life here is real mix of pressure from academic block and a pull from hostels fun.
I can keep on writing about night trekking, camping, fieldtrips, excursions, hammocks and different varieties of musti and studies but let others also share their experiences. While being in campus, we do usually find one or two alumni coming to the campus, staying in the guest house, sharing their experiences with some of us. They do come here just to have the feel of the campus life which one always misses in ones life after spending 21 months here.
Before I say Adios let me sum in a few words: whenever you think of IIFM, do not think of it as just a forest management it has got wider spectrum to lead to highway of higher and demanding job altitudes. It has got a power of being an Institute with double II... I hope you got the point. Think of IIFM as one of Asias best b-school in the niche sector. Ask someone from this sector and you will come to know why IIFM stands apart from others...
Best Wishes to all of you and all of us.

Hey Man, Thanks for your deep information on IIFM. But can you please put some more light on placements, avg pckg, highest pckg and what kind of profile companies offer to IIFM students. I would be really grateful to you as I am also looking forward to join IIFM.:p
A proud IIFMite.
3 likes
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Sir, how is the gym at IIfM.

Do students go out or get time to go out for gym?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
A glimpse of activities of one of the students club-Nature Club and life at IIFM (our Bhandhavgarh NP trip photos and report)...

Check Prakriti Feb. '10 issue: http://bit.ly/baCRFf

Hi Senior,
Can u post the link for other issues of Prakriti...

Thanks in advance...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

heres, what we have been doing after a hard days work

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

A glimpse of activities of one of the students club-Nature Club and life at IIFM (our Bhandhavgarh NP trip photos and report)...

Check Prakriti Feb. '10 issue: http://bit.ly/baCRFf

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

ignore previous for some errors

Hi Aashish,

I apologize for being inactive on this forum. Your's is a general querry which has already been answered in initial posts. Please do not see it as just a FOREST management, it is a holistic MBA and Forestry is just an add on. Coming to your basic ques.there are many bright openings in the core sector like Forest Certification, CDM Registartion and consultancy, Environment Management Consultant, Afforestation/Reforestation project manager, Agro-forestry, Green-belt consultant, Env. Impact Assessment Field and many many...

This is a sector which is going through a transformation. Earlier it was a charity driven sector, now it is becomimg a compulsion and regulatory norms driven sector. This is an omen...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
AASHISH1 Says
Sir i have interest in forest management but the problem is i dont know how the life is by doing fm.is there any progress in this field and what about packages in this field?

Hi Aashish,

I apologize for beingn this forum. Your's is a general querry which has already been answered in initial posts. Please donot see is just a FOREST management, it is a holistic MBA and Forestry is just an add on. Coming to your basic ques.there are many bright openings in the core sectors like Forest Certification, CDM Registartion and consultancy, Environment Management Consulant, Afforestation/Reforestation project manager, Agro-forestry, Green-belt consultant, Env. Impact Assessment Field and many many...

This is a sector which is going through a transformation. Earlier it was a charity driven sector, now it is becomimg a compulsion and regulator norms driven sector. This is an omen...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Sir i have interest in forest management but the problem is i dont know how the life is by doing fm.is there any progress in this field and what about packages in this field?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...