Life@DoMS,IIT Madras

168 Posts  ·  74 Users
About this group
Hi Puys, I m opening this thread as it can benefit MBA aspirants who want to know what does DoMS has to offer besides good placements, excellent facilites and great profs. To start with ill post of few of the last years happening: 1...
Page 1 of 17

how are the possibilites for a student exchange program in DOMS? how many went on exchange last year??

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi team, How to prepare for MS research at IITM. How is the selection process ?

GRE 302/340 !! 2015-2016 Calls : IFMR, SPJAIN GMP
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Update !!

For admission notifications and related discussions for the session 2015-2017, follow our thread:

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2015-2017-doms-iit-madras-admission-notifications-related-discussions-30456332

CAT'13: 96.20 (Sec 1: 95.3, Sec 2: 92.53), SNAP'13: 98.27, XAT'13: 93.58 ... Joining: IIT-Madras DoMS !!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

When you wait for it to come, well, it is a lifetime of expectations and assumptions. The thing is, when it comes, you are not aware that you are in middle of it. You just carry on, hazed and dazed, through the course of events. It is only when it has passed on do you get to reflect on it. Life at DoMS, IIT Madras is so very much about the journey, rather than the destination. Should one choose to make the journey, one will be at a loss being at the centre of all the things to do all around and all the more unavailability of time.
Now starting from where it all began-
I am standing outside my hostel room and staffs from the hostel wardens office are wielding iron rods in front of me! Quite a way to welcome a freshie! Actually no, they were trying to break the door lock because they lost the key!
I had just arrived in Chennai one hour back. As the Auto Rickshaw had swerved along the jungle path inside the IIT Madras campus, the sightings of spotted deer and blackbucks had conveyed a very beautiful welcome note (more so when compared with legendary pricing policies of Chennai auto services!).
The lock was broken. As I sat in my room I knew for sure next days would be exciting. I took a cue from the initiation I guess! What I couldnt guess was that I would have little time to be in that room afterwards.
Next few days remained pretty much blurred for us. Yes, blurred! Because we had to squeeze in so many things in one day that everyone wanted earth to rotate a little slower.24 hours a day just was not enough! Second day morning the HoD gave welcome speech with all the teachers present. We got to know our teachers. After that all of us got to know each other. Well, actually we played a game for that! And the real fun started later that night from 10.Its a Simple thing called Role play and we were assigned roles by the seniors. But one had to see to believe how people made the whole show a laugh riot! It takes time to earn nicknames in schools and colleges. In our case, we got ourselves nicknames out of that one single show! Next day started at 5-30am for us with campus tour. The 650 acres campus was something to behold! It still is, even to this day. Every now and then, a new nook of the forest, a new bend of the road, a new view of the lake that is discovered leaves one spellbound with its serenity. Really, from the initial days to this day, the WOW factor has never subsided.
Next we had a chance to interact with alumni from the first batch. The interaction was very enriching to say the least. We got to know a lot about industry and the institute as well. After the re-union lunch, came the real surprise-we had to give presentations to our seniors starting at 10pm.We struggled a lot to market products those would never exist. And laughed heartily at the struggle! Of course at that time we laughed little less, being the tired, sleepless bunch we were at that time.

Today when I write this, I have already spent quite a few months in campus, made quite a lot of friends, bombed even more number of exams and attended some wild midnight parties. My days here have ranged from skipping breakfast day after day to almost being in a food coma by the grace of awesome chettinad cuisine! I have attended brilliant, eye-opening lectures given by industry bigwigs. I have also slept like a baby sometimes in the morning class after doing some group assignment that went on till 5 am. But, I guess the real thing is to be able to laugh at all the pressure, to be able to appreciate the new, the odd. And I have done that. I have done that in each passing moment. My awesome neighbours in hostel have helped me in that. My awesome classmates, teachers and seniors are helping me in that. The lush green forest ,the lakeside, the two fighting blackbucks in front of hostel, the night-outs, the group assignments turning into group chats, the surprise quizzes, the market surveys-everything enrich me and make me realize that I could enjoy being so much and doing so much! These all are my life now.

And I love every bit of it.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

dear friends...
first i thank this forum for such a motivating platform...i am having doubt please guid me...what is the difference between ms entrepreneurship and MBA at iit through DoMS...i have been searching for a long time by gods grace i got this place...Whether GATE is necessary for doing MS entrepr...pls help me...Advance thanks guys....am eagerly waiting for your reply....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

In Instructions for Applicants , it is written that "
1. Please attach copies of National Level Entrance Test / GMAT Score along with the application.
4. Sponsered candidates except Defence Personnel should have a valid score in national level entrance test such as JMET/CAT/XAT/MAT or equivalent. "
That means IIT M is accepting XAT scores ?
ASAPPPPPPPP reply , thanks in advance ::

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

First of all best of luck for the upcoming JMET exam :)... as for going for MBA straight after college..that is completely upto you..as of now our class has a nearly 50-50 ratio of freshers to people with work ex...and even in people with work ex, a lot of them have less than 1 year...

as for placements....companies look at a lot of things apart from work ex so that is usually not a constraint...for further placement records you can always visit our website and check the placement report given there..DoMS IIT Madras

Hope this helps!!

Neha Khanna
DoMS Interface Team
Class of 2012
DoMS IIT Madras

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

I'm about to take the JMET 2011 and am hopeful fo getting into DoMS IIT-M...I would like to know if it's advisable to go for a MBA right after college without any work exp or is it better to work for two or three years before my MBA.I'm in the final year of my B.E and would like some clarity on this.

also, what is the situation like for freshers without work exp in DoMS IIT-M, in terms of placements etc???

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

July 26th, 2010, 9:35 am - My first steps into what everyone calls as our second home DoMS. I have no words to describe that feeling. Seven days have passed and I still have no words. The last week has been a roller coaster ride (that's also an understatement). From formal sessions to impromptu (2 hours notice) presentations, from being absolutely dressed in formal clothes to letting our hair down while putting up a cultural event for our seniors and their seniors, the week was a mini showcase of the next two years to come.
Starting from the start we had an introduction to the faculty (amazing diversity you will see here) and also our seniors. We also had a session in which we had to build a bridge and a highway using nothing but newspaper and tape. End of it our highway wasn't the best but our team definitely bonded reallly well..which we later came to know was the whole purpose ( all of us being engineers took it as a challenge to build the best bridge 😉 ). Unfortunately I missed the night event but I later came to know that it was the time where everyone had the most fun. Next day started with a 5:30 a.m. introduction to the campus (which I had again luckily missed 😉 ). Registration took up the rest of the day. After getting free all of us got down to making our first ever presentation. Probably the most learning i have had about south Indian actresses ever. 1 a.m. and all of us were ready to drop dead!!! But the day had not yet ended...hostel life is notorious for ensuring that you don't sleep on time and that's exactly what happened...we only ended up crashing by 2-3. The next day pretty much followed the same pattern...formal sessions in the morning and a presentation at night. THURSDAY came and with it our excitement...finally something different...today was the day we would put up our cultural show...the time where all of us would be showcasing our talents in front of the audience. My profile in cultural activities goes something like this...Singing - Bathroom singers can put me to shame....Dancing - Never tried it and not planning to....Acting lets just say that a two year old baby wouldn't be impressed...so being the host of the evening was my only option. We prepared and we prepared, made this plan and that plan. They have this saying "Man proposes, God disposes"...here it was we planned and the others de-planned. The end result was that at 10 at night we were running helter skelter trying to ensure we had enough performances to put on the stage. But as the say - All's well that ends well. The show was a huge success, we got to meet our super seniors and we all left for our hostels a group of happy people. The next day was convocation day - a free day- or so we thought. But alas that was not meant to be. A 9:30 am session followed by interviews for the various committees starting at 3 and ending after 10...that was the end of our first official week at DoMS. Not the end of our fun though.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

hey guys..... i really wish to follow this thread, but all the posts are so huge that i cudnt read more then 1 or 2 of them. I dont mean to offend nyone of u but plzz keep the size small so that it doesnt get boring nd people like keep following u.... cheers

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...