Lancaster MBA 2012-2013: Applications and beyond

38 Posts  ·  22 Users
About this group
Dear Friends, I was kind of hoping to connect with others who are planning to join Lancaster University Management School for the 2012 intake. I recently got an offer of place from them and apart from the FT rankings of this school, I do not ...
Page 1 of 4
@twins23
(Pls excuse me if I am posting something in the wrong forum, as I am new to this platform)
I have done B.Com from a reputed College in Pune, however my score in B.Com final is only around 57%. I am quite confident I will score well in GMAT and IELTS. I have work experience of about 3 years 3 months but not in continuity. I am aiming to get into a decent University (Manchester, Lancaster, Reading, Leeds, Warwick, etc.) in UK (for an MBA or MSc) which has a good ROI (Job Prospects).. I wanted to know if there is any point writing the GMAT with below average marks in B.Com { (57%) 😞 😞 . Since the GMAT form grading regards less than 60% at degree level as 'fail'.} If not, is there any scope for doing a decent MSc or MBA from UK without writing the GMAT? I have not registered for GMAT yet, but will be writing IELTS in Dec 2012. Kindly guide!! Regards Inita
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@[483319:twins23]

Thank you so much for such a nice sum up. I highly appreciate your very balanced views.

I was interested in LUMS bcoz of their quality and probably due to Henry Mintzberg connection.

But I was worried about location. You rightly pointed out, in UK, you must be very near to London to be part of the action. I stayed in Luton and still found it difficult to visit London frequently for interviews and other stuff.
Wife's job is a major issue in small towns
Half of the students are Indian simply put a red flag for me. If that is the case then why not IIMs?
Visa is a great issue now. My personal experience is, many of the employers are clueless about the process and conveniently assume the process to be very complex and simply ignore non EU candidates. Whether you like or not, as an Indian, you need to far more superior to be considered for a job in UK.
Unable to comment on Rain part but I know, winter is very depressing in UK, with just few hours of day light in a day.
Would like to hear some positive views too.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hello guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying. MBA at Lancaster is very hectic and at the same time fun too. Here are the pros and cons

+
24 nationalities in class.
Extremely focused on strategy and consulting.
Has a great flair for sustainability and CSR modules as well.
Minimum you get to work on three consulting projects. Apart from these projects, you get an opportunity to work with start ups and participate in global business plan competitions representing the school.
Curriculum is case based and group work. Its more of deliberation and challenging each other's ideas and opinions and learning from that.
It has a very good mindful manager module that tailors your thought process in leadership.
You get an opportunity to work with the worldwide CEO and make real business plans for the company and learn from a CEO's perspective
Very good school for sports especially Cricket and Football. Opportunity to play other sports as well. It has a massive sports centre in a beautiful sprawling campus. Very good accomodation.
Dedicated MBA suite, which is 24 hour learning zone exclusively for MBAs.

-
Career service is not at par compared to other business schools
Class size is not encouraging. This year (2011-2012) has 56 students, out of which there are 23 Indians.
Location is a HUGE problem. In UK, London, Birmingham, Edinburgh and to some extent Manchester are the prime cities. If you are not around them, then it becomes difficult for employers to meet you.
Does not have good marketing module and operations module. If anyone coming from that, probably reconsider your decision.
Alumni relations and networking events are to a minimum compared to other schools because again location is a factor.
Weather is another area. If you love rains or hate rain doesnt matter, you will start hating rain when you come here. In a year there are barely 15 sunny days, rest of the time its raining and chilly.
If you are married and plan to get your spouse or kids then working wife may have some issues finding a good job because of the location.

Overall, the visa scene is not at all encouraging in UK, Tier 2 is the only route to get a job unlike PSW. Employees are not at all in favour of providing Tier 2 to work. They would prefer if someone has the work permit.

In terms of books, I dont think so you would require any books to get along with you because you get books from the university for core modules. there is a massive library and you can issue upto 15 books at a time. The library has a very good collection. There is also a management school's library that hosts all the books required for an MBA.

I hope that was useful. Do let me know if you have any more queries, I would be more than happy to respond to them as quickly as possible. Good luck!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Hey guys,

First of all; congratulations to all the awesome guys and girls that are joining the Lancaster MBA 2012. I just accepted my offer, so it seems I will be joining too:-) Second; do you know if anyone created a facebook group yet. It would be nice with a FB group, where we can share ideas and advices on frequent basis.

Otherwise, check out a group I just created and join it here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/247528455365175/

I have a bit of sparetime before October and want to spend some time with pre-mba books. Or even better, does anyone have a reading list for the modules in the first term?

Furthermore, I am very interested in Management Consulting, sustainable development and NGO's, so if anyone have some of the same interests, please contact me. We could perhaps make a society or be helpful to one another in other ways - Let the networking begin for the benefit of all.:)

All the best!
TD
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey twins23 & mnandres!

Nice of you to help us out.

I have an offer from Lancaster, Bath & Birmingham for their Full Time MBA.

I wanted to know what you think of the above and what are aspects of your RESPECTIVE MBA (Lancaster for twins23 & Bath for mnandres) that have really made it awesome?

How far is it from the town? Does it have any disadvantages as that of a uni in a big town?

Also, what is the class make up like? And the students having good experience??
I have my own business so for me it more important that the class be very international and with good experience.

Thanks!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

@iimrohtak - this is not the ideal platform for such questions. You should visit the uni website and/or email them directly.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Pals,

I am looking to apply to some of these schools. I would like to know about the fees of the course, if bank loans (in India/UK) are available for funding, the job scenario and the duration of investment recovery.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Dear Guys,

I got MBA offers from following Universities for 2012 session:

1. Lancaster (UK)- with 3000GBP scholarship
2. Smurfit UCD (Ireland)- with 10k Euro scholarship
3. Univ of Edinburgh Business School

I am doubtful about UK due to new visa implementation. Ireland provides one year post study work visa and employment seems relatively easier there.

Kindly let me know your valuable suggestions to help me decide one of the schools. Last date for deposit to confirm the place is approaching very fast for me.

Thanks!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi, I graduated from the Bath MBA in 2010 and am now working in financial services in London. Very good MBA choice in my case and fantastic value for money. I recovered the investment a year after graduation, and am happy to answer any questions

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hello everyone and congrats to all those who have got an offer and accepted it!

I am a current MBA full time student at Lancaster University. I would be more than happy to help anyone with any queries regarding Lancaster MBA. So please feel free to shout out any queries that you have here.

Thanks and good luck!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...