IVY League colleges

6 Posts  ·  5 Users
About this group
I have done b.tech(2006) and m.tech( 2008 ) in CSE and now planning and aiming to do MBA from IVY league college in US or atleast from IIMs in india(trying for 2011-2013 batch). Since aug 08 i m working with IBM as associate system engineer (prior...
Page 1 of 1

one question to anuraag, u scored good in GMAT ... how did u prepare for GMAT ? coaching or self study.If self study then plz let me know what was ur strategy and how did u do it and if coaching then from where ?

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

thanks anurag 4 ur suggestion, really appreciate that!!

but guys my acads is average type and I m not interested in NGO stuff eiither.
On the work profile front (working as application developer @IBM) i m doing good(can show few things here to adcoms when I apply), is there anything else that u would like to suggest that I can start doing to boost my profile.(will start applying to colleges next season ) .

Hi sohailmbaprep,

I would agree with everything that ankurgupt said.

The last thing I would mention is that you really have to present yourself as offering something unique. Really strive to be in leadership positions so that you can stand out among your peers.

Hey ankur thnx a ton ! that will surely help

Sohail,

let me answer your questions one by one:
1)When is the right time to take GMAT for IVY leagues
There is no right time to take the GMAT, whether you are applying for an Ivy League school or any other school. Just make sure you give it your best shot whenever you do decide to take it.

2)Apart from GMAT scores .what other things one should have in their profile (some ppl have suggested me to enroll in a nice NGO to boost my profile)
LEADERSHIP: applying to top school requires consistently demonstrated leadership, either at work or in the academic sphere, or better still, both!

Academics: if you have weak undergrad and graduate acads, then you make them up with a strong GMAT score. Else, just make sure your GMAT is around the average GMAT score for the schools you are targeting.

Extra-Curricular activities: enrolling in an NGO is worth it only you are passionate about social service and that kind of work. that passion should reflect in your writing, else it's not worth it. u must know that the ad-coms are well aware that students enroll in an NGO a few months before they apply to "boost" their profiles! unless you show substantial achievements and leadership in an NGO, you'll only be wasting your time! instead find an activity you really really like and write about that.. it could be as diverse as cooking or traveling or photography!
in a nut-shell, it's good to have EC's but not mandatory. More important is your work-ex and the QUALITY of work you have done.

3)Which month their admission process starts
you need to visit each MBA program's website and look it urself.

4) Any good inst. in Delhi/noida and Bangalore region to help me out planning all these...
There are lots of threads on PG on that. Look Around.

I have done b.tech(2006) and m.tech( 2008 ) in CSE and now planning and aiming to do MBA from IVY league college in US or atleast from IIMs in india(trying for 2011-2013 batch). Since aug 08 i m working with IBM as associate system engineer (prior to that 1 yr as Lecturer)
I m targeting IVY League colleges (2011 batch).Seniors plz let me know below mentioned details:-

1)When is the right time to take GMAT for IVY leagues

2)Apart from GMAT scores .what other things one should have in their profile (some ppl have suggested me to enroll in a nice NGO to boost my profile)

3)Which month their admission process starts
4) Any good inst. in Delhi/noida and Bangalore region to help me out planning all these...

thnx in anticipation of all ur replies