Is'nt it too early for Mock CAT

12 Posts  ·  9 Users
About this group
Hi, TIME has already started its mock cats. is it not too early for mock cats. in classes, we are somewhere midway thru concepts, and in no shape to take a mock cat. it will only dishearten me, if i score less or my rank is really bad, but not b...
Page 1 of 2

And here i agree.....or atleast partly agree, that compalcency is a sin. but then one has to enjoy preparing for CAT, and then there will be no burn out even if you take two tests a day. for eg. i enjoy answering math questions as they really make me think deep, and require a lot of imagination.
neha

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hi Kapil,
My thoughts too. Or atleast till sometime back. But took a couple of tests at home over the weekned, and shook me up from the complacency. i guess that is what a mock CAT does.
neha

there isn't anything such as early or late...it's about plugging your loopholes.

the danger of burn-out is something that has to be guarded against.

complacency is a sin for CAT.

Hi Kapil,
My thoughts too. Or atleast till sometime back. But took a couple of tests at home over the weekned, and shook me up from the complacency. i guess that is what a mock CAT does.
neha

Hi,
TIME has already started its mock cats. is it not too early for mock cats. in classes, we are somewhere midway thru concepts, and in no shape to take a mock cat. it will only dishearten me, if i score less or my rank is really bad, but not because i am bad but i have not yet completed concepts in class.
please advise ?
kapil

No big fight.
Dont bother about your ranks in Mocks till august. once you have covered entire syllabus and have your strategies in place then start cracking them.
You see all 50s and 60s in these mocks. But dont compare yourself with these scores. most of the toppers are repeaters. Instead focus on your material and aptitude skills. but make sure that you take those mocks. They will keep you near to the reality. :)

HTH ,
Chandoo
catapult
@catapult  ·  1,270 karma

so my feeling is that it would only help students who have taken cat earlier or are preparing for more than a year with long term programs.

kapil

dude...i dont quite agree with u...

u see...lets take IMS for instance....b4 u join there u r made to take a Preliminary Test...i.e. CAT paper of the prev. yr.....that way u'd know whr u stand as compared to cat crackers earlier....u'd also hav a basic idea of ur Strenghts and Weaknesses....all along taking mocks always tells u ..ur level of preperation and is the best tool for ur SWOT analysis....juz taking a terst wont help....checking on ur performance...i.e. accuracy...speed...time taken...mistakes made and their nature...all this for each section...wud do a lot good....

neway..i thnk its upto u to onto what u do...

regards,

vamsi sv

Thanks to all who have written.

Yes i do see the point that it would be a wake up call, butthen it would be a wake up call only if you have been sleeping.

i have been preparing for cat for 1.5 months now. this is my first attempt. the diagnostic test was sufficient to give me an idea that i needed to wrok hard, and i am working hard. i am seeing improvment as i can answer more questions in class tests than when i had started.

But very frankly most people who are better than me are people who are retaking CAT.

My question is "is time correct, even if you are on the right track". if you say that it is correct, then why only just 2 mock cats in 2 months. I feel that it is just to get students enrolled early, so that they do not join any oether coaching class which is starting later .

I took the AIMCAT from a friend. honestly, i could not answer so many questions as i have not even reached those questions in concept class. i could still answer only 20-22 math questions and took almost 80 minutes to do this. so if there were easy questions in areas that i have not yet done in class, they are not easy for me, and i get a incorrect picture of where i stand.

so my feeling is that it would only help students who have taken cat earlier or are preparing for more than a year with long term programs.

kapil

agree with all of the above... it helps you get serious... ideally speaking mocks from sept onward will see the real McCoys . Use these mocks to get used to the style and pressure of two hours ...practice different strategies as and when applicable. but most imp analyse these mocks throughly...

hey vipin
me from NSIT 2...can't quite recall seeing u some how tho
I'm in ECE...which branch u in?
newayz...nice score ..hope to c u in college during placements
ciao
rohit

Hi,
TIME has already started its mock cats. is it not too early for mock cats. in classes, we are somewhere midway thru concepts, and in no shape to take a mock cat. it will only dishearten me, if i score less or my rank is really bad, but not because i am bad but i have not yet completed concepts in class.
please advise ?
kapil

Believe me buddy its never too early to start. In my college (NSIT, Delhi) people start giving mock CATs from Second year, even though they will be eligible in the fourth year.

In my personal view, this mock CAT gives a much needed kick to wake up and smell the coffee, and realize where you stand. This will put you into action as I believe most people including above average ones are complacent or overconfident about their standing vis - a -vis CAT, and this brings them down to earth and spurs them into action.

Moreover, this was just a jolt, next Mock CAT is on 18 July and then next one a fortnight later, so you can even pace yourself before the crunch time comes.

Vipin

hi kapil
dude i think u need to look at these tests in tis way...first of all u will only have 2 mocks in the first 2 months i.e. 27-6-01 and 18-7-04 so in effect the regular tests will start along with the other test series...
...now what these couple of eatly tests will do is that either u'll get screwed and will realise tht u need to work hard...i know u can say tht u'd realise this at home also just by solving some mock but i think an All india mock gives u a much beter perspective of where u stand
The other scenario could be that u do well in these tests then prob u get a bit of a morale-booster viz would really boost ur enthu for studying so i think all in all its a win win situation
ciao
rohit