Is this kind of robbery acceptable !!

22 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
Hi all, I would like to share some of my observations on MBA admissions in recent times. Carry on furthur if you have anything to do with it. Note: This is an assumption , statistics are not exact, any coincidence with real or fictious t...
Page 1 of 3

Look, MBA education in most countries is associated with exorbitant fees. For instance, applying to a top US university for a PhD in English costs about $70. Applying to the same university for an MBA costs around $250.

The logic behind this, I presume, is that MBA graduates will make a lot of money - much more than the cost of their education - throughout their career, so that somewhat justifies the expense.

What cannot be justified is the average and poor colleges charging similarly high fees. These colleges don't have the same quality of education, and their graduates will have a difficult time in the job market. Yet, their fees continues to be exorbitantly high.

The issue, at least in this country, is the 'system' - this mythic entity on which you can blame pretty much every problem faced by the nation. The system has become such that you HAVE to apply before you even know your scores. You can't afford not to apply - after all, you can't force all 2.5 lakh people to not apply with you. If it has to change, it has to change from within the colleges itself.

I think there can be a consumer complaint filed against the colleges, or a PIL filed in the court. This is in the interest of the public. I'm applying to just a select few colleges (IIMs, FMS, SP-Jain, MDI, IIFT, JBIMS), but even then I'm already Rs. 35,000+ in the red, if you include the cost of coaching classes.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

had expected that mfc/mbe would keep the application fees low .. considering the fact that their fee structure is something to vouch for . but the application fees are 1000 and 1700 . what can be said 😞

IIM Udaipur 2011-13

I completely agree with Dhaval. At he moemnt there are about 20 odd enterance exams going on for Top 30 Business institutes in the country. The reason why this is reprehensible is because, its cumbersome, expensive and confusing. Look at the amount of just the extrance exam fee that is charged per institute, its somewhere areound Rs. 1000-1200. Straight 20K would go just for appearing in the written test. Moreover like MBBS and Engineering enterances, this too should be one single test.

Hi puys..back 2 dis thread again carrying the same disappointment nd anguish...forms of b-schools are out again and some like IMI are charging as high as 1900/course nd MDI also 1600/1750 for one course and as usual deadlines are before CAT exam...i sent several mails to HRD ministry,Kapil Sibbal,AICTE few months back regarding dis bt no-one seems to be concerned....its simply a loot!!!

I think 4 all the mba instt there should be a common exm!
In which there will be no need to fill xtra forms seperately 4 diffrnt colleges..

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

i agree with Rahul.... i second his proposition of filing a PIL or something like that to check that B schools dont make profit from selling application forms !!!

Well i do not want to organize a boycott or something like that....even we students are in need of these clgs.....i just feel that if we can gather enough support ova here,we can certainly proceed to the supreme court with a writ petition demanding that clgs should not be allowd to make profits out of application forms nd then in the interest of the masses,court shall make its relevant decision...i am welcome to hear all views so that we can analyse all type of perceptions and nt try 4 sumthing unfeasable

c my point is why r these colleges not annoucing any cutoffs officially , only so that they can sell more application forms . If their intention is to help the student community, they can wait for the CAT results, device a formula basing on college rankings , accredition levels, no. of students writing the CAT, no.of students who got above 80 percentile marks and something like that in 1-2 days. Then the college can announce a cut-off and start selling the application forms. This is one of the ideal scenarios , we should expect .

Also , everyyear top 10,000 students writing CAT get admissions to 5-6 colleges on an average. and the next bunch of guys are in waiting list, why can't we try to avoid it .

Well, that sounds quite dicey to be honest
I mean it would be very very difficult for an institute to estimate the cutoffs without knowing how many people are going to apply to it

I will give you a practical example which took place this year
2 institutes did announce their PROVISIONAL cutoffs without first seeing how many candidates have applied.
They are IIM Ranchi and IIM Rohtak
Both said that candidates above 95%ile can apply. Just last week IIM Ranchi confirmed that they got far too many forms and in the final list of selected candidates the cut off is actually 99.68%ile:shocked:
Unbelievable

So if some other institute devises a formula and gives a cutoff, they may end up getting either a higher or lower number of students for gd/pi.
Either way it will be a disaster
There has to be a better solution i guess:thumbsup:
Hmmm...., have to agree with that.

The anomaly you have pointed out is that(correct me if i am wrong)
"Candidates who arent going to score enough marks in an exam would still have to fill up a college's form as the last date for form submission is before the announcement of results"

But i see 1 small blemish in that argument:
Lets say we can submit forms even after the results, in this case candidates do know their marks but "NO ONE" knows the cutoff of that college.( Its true that we have certain indicators like "previous years cutoffs" but if you have followed this season carefully you would realize that the cuttoff for almost every exam has increased drastically, so basically "NO ONE KNOWS" what the cutoff will be even after the exam.It is just an "ESTIMATE")

So even in this revised scenario many people will have to waste their money(though the number of such people would be less that the 1st case)

c my point is why r these colleges not annoucing any cutoffs officially , only so that they can sell more application forms . If their intention is to help the student community, they can wait for the CAT results, device a formula basing on college rankings , accredition levels, no. of students writing the CAT, no.of students who got above 80 percentile marks and something like that in 1-2 days. Then the college can announce a cut-off and start selling the application forms. This is one of the ideal scenarios , we should expect .

Also , everyyear top 10,000 students writing CAT get admissions to 5-6 colleges on an average. and the next bunch of guys are in waiting list, why can't we try to avoid it .

Hi trivedi, thanx for your concerns, i feel normal people like u, me , Aven , rahul and all can bring this change. (atleast in our current issue of robbery)

only thing required is awareness, knowledge of what we can do & what we r doing.