Is this journalism...?

6 Posts  ·  3 Users
About this group
Some time back there was this controversy or rather the issue of newspaper columnar space being sold ... We even had a reports of Times of India selling its editorial space. Check out this link... _http://ww1.mid-day.com/news/city/2004/may/8...
Page 1 of 1
That is completely untrue. People love to blame the cosmos for the lack of good newspapers but have a very superficial knowledge of what their city's press offers.
Since your avatar has SPJIMR, I assume you are in Mumbai. Have you ever picked up the Free Press Journal or Indian Express? They're good newspapers both. Errr.. not in the sense of eye-candy, but in the sense of the depth, quality of stories and columns. Same with Hindu, The Pioneer and Asian Age (Delhi edition) for the north. These papers don't have a brand name, which is probably why you don't pick them up. And because people go for brand names rather than take the effort to probe deeper, they bitch about the few handful papers at the top while remaining ignorant about the good newspapers.

In the age & time of media net, most papers find it hard to compete...so we may pick the papers but the popularity of a paper is decided by the "numbers"....n as much as i like hindu, in north, it juz deosnt sell....as for content...anyone who can pay can get into any paper...b/w have u seen asian age/ indian express/ pioneer in delhi...its amazing how bad the quality (overall-content & look)....becoz of media net & ht, no other paper survives...& slowly & gradually ht is going toi way...tho not as blatantly...as for "brands", these papers were brands in their own way...its juz that they suck overall...& how! there USE TO BE A TIME wen one could agree with IE havng an edge..now they all are trying to survive cut-throat business...& if it wasnt for the "loyalty" of ppl from south...hindu wud be shut long ago!
u guys remember how ht & toi came together to cut-out DNA in mumbai...that my frnd, is journalism today-a business.period.
p.s: m a PR professional....& tht juz killed the "integrity" of journalism for me!
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Well.... I guess i was misinterpreted or rather misread... 😃 ... ( evn contributed to some extent to the very two we discussed.. )

Now, editorials usually represent the ethos of the newspaper... you know what with you relate the views expressed in The Asian Age to those of M.J Akbar, to Shekhar Gupta of the Indian express fame...
~

Anyways thats exactly the point I was trying to make..... There are the IE's and Asian Ages and they have done a fabolous job....and thats the key... and they done so and will hold on the very basis of superior content.... ( Times on the other hand has gone the deccan chronicle way - I hope people are aware that deccan is one newspaper ( hydy based ) where in even suicide in a luv story makes the headlines )... something that u mentioned - eye candy part.... Very valid point made by you.... Also the fact is that Hindu, Hindustan times, Pioneer and others still don't have the numbers Times has generated over the entire nation....( Thats what i meant by national dailies... the recent numbers may say differently... ) other wise the quality of these are far better than Times... ( won't get into that discussion as therz another thread on the same issue. )... but then its upto the readers.. they know and they can decide either which ways they pick... and thats the best part.... 😃

Moreover, the discussion was only aimed at the practise of selling the editorial / columnar space and not the entire industry as such.. though the practise is gaining ground among other players....

~

That is completely untrue. People love to blame the cosmos for the lack of good newspapers but have a very superficial knowledge of what their city's press offers.
Since your avatar has SPJIMR, I assume you are in Mumbai. Have you ever picked up the Free Press Journal or Indian Express? They're good newspapers both. Errr.. not in the sense of eye-candy, but in the sense of the depth, quality of stories and columns. Same with Hindu, The Pioneer and Asian Age (Delhi edition) for the north. These papers don't have a brand name, which is probably why you don't pick them up. And because people go for brand names rather than take the effort to probe deeper, they bitch about the few handful papers at the top while remaining ignorant about the good newspapers.

There are harldy any National dailies in India in the true sense... and even if selling the editorials is fraught with the risk of decrease in quality, Times can get away with it banking on their brand and fewer options among the general populace....
Well.. I used Times as an example.. Over the years the trend has been seen in some other newspapers as well to some extent... wonder whether one day we'd have a situ where the likes of Shobha de, Bachi k, Jug Suriaya and then some, find themselves unable to get their stuff published thanks to some one with deep pockets.... 😃
...so now its gonna be deep pockets vs deep thoughts.. !!!
and the way we are going.. looks like this sure would reduce my monthly paper bills....
~
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
There are harldy any National dailies in India in the true sense... and even if selling the editorials is fraught with the risk of decrease in quality, Times can get away with it banking on their brand and fewer options among the general populace....

Well.. I used Times as an example.. Over the years the trend has been seen in some other newspapers as well to some extent... wonder whether one day we'd have a situ where the likes of Shobha de, Bachi k, Jug Suriaya and then some, find themselves unable to get their stuff published thanks to some one with deep pockets.... 😃

...so now its gonna be deep pockets vs deep thoughts.. !!!

and the way we are going.. looks like this sure would reduce my monthly paper bills....

~

Medianet is oooold news... you came to know this now? TOI bluntly says that it is not journalism but only a product. When they themselves don't claim to be ethical in the traditional sense, why blame them? Don't buy the paper

Some time back there was this controversy or rather the issue of newspaper columnar space being sold ... We even had a reports of Times of India selling its editorial space.
Check out this link...
http://ww1.mid-day.com/news/city/2004/may/83022.htm
Now, editorials usually represent the ethos of the newspaper... you know what with you relate the views expressed in The Asian Age to those of M.J Akbar, to Shekhar Gupta of the Indian express fame...
Outsourcing them doesnt seem like a good idea.... and if there's a committee ( of the newspaper ) who evaluates the editorial views ( of the people who hav bought the space ) and passes/rejects them if they are okay/not okay... then the whole idea of selling the space for the views gets defeated....
Moreover i guess its okay if its an invited editorial but not quite the business of selling the editorial space... which till now had been sacrosanct to the editors themselves....
Wonder how the junta at large feels about this.. but this surely redefines the bare bones of journalism ...!!
~
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
Some time back there was this controversy or rather the issue of newspaper columnar space being sold ... We even had a reports of Times of India selling its editorial space.
Check out this link...
http://ww1.mid-day.com/news/city/2004/may/83022.htm
Outsourcing them doesnt seem like a good idea.... and if there's a committee ( of the newspaper ) who evaluates the editorial views ( of the people who hav bought the space ) and passes/rejects them if they are okay/not okay... then the whole idea of selling the space for the views gets defeated....
Moreover i guess its okay if its an invited editorial but not quite the business of selling the editorial space... which till now had been sacrosanct to the editors themselves....
Wonder how the junta at large feels about this.. but this surely redefines the bare bones of journalism ...!!
~