Is Piracy really too bad????

22 Posts  ·  17 Users
About this group
Everytime I enter my favourite bookstore,I wonder If this time too I'm going to come out empty handed.List price behind the almost every book I set my eyes on & meagre amount of money in my pockets are enough to make me forget how bad Piracy is & ...
Page 1 of 3
zzz
@zzz  ·  0 karma
Hmmgood question.
I believe obscurity is a far greater threat to authors than piracy. Therefore, in my view, publishers bear the larger damage..

Hmmm.......... Lets say i am a newbie to reading, and dont want to be left alone , when my frendzzz discuss on works on some hi-fi author having a celebrity wife (Pun intended ! ) what do I do ??? Will I, on one sunny day, storm into a reputed bookstore, and spend my hard earned money on a few hardbound volumes, for which I dont have any guarantee if I ll be able to understand the sheer vocab !! Here comes to rescue, my bookwallah bhaiya, sitting near juice shop. I can have a couple, and can find my taste w/o calculating my finances ! And since I am a newbie, the first intro to world famous and revolutionary authors is thru pirated copy.. for the only reason that I can take enough risk to try it, which otherwise I would nt have even thought of . If I like the literature, I can choose to spend more on it, or otherwise. But the point here is, if the bookwallah bhaiya would have chosen to sell vegetables instead of books, I would probably never have opted to meet MR. XYZ via his book, if the way goes thru my pocket to a big costly bookstore. These pirated copies atleast save the authors and their creations from being obsure, coz it s general public like me, who makes them famous. The Mass governs the market !

If anything, it is a rude wake up call for the publishing industry.

And there is no single silver bullet solution to it. The way I see it, publishing houses would have to come up with less expensive and innovative alternatives soon. This could mean reducing paperback profit margins to encourage sales or exploring online hybrids. Whatever it takes.

Silver lining? ..at least piracy is helping keep alive the pleasure of reading.

Two kinda goods -- Luxury, only few can afford ( Original ), Cheap, becomes a mass revoultion ( Pirated ) . Publishers have to decide what they follow
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Piracy and India. Two things that go hand in hand.
Everytime Monsieur William Gates comes down, he keeps talking about the rampant amount of piracy here, and goes on to plead the Indian populace to buy original software.

That's all great from the corporate point of view, but let's look at it from a consumerist angle. To be more precise, a position that I am in, a college student (though I passed out two months back, never mind :|)

If I buy a new system, and want to install an OS on it, what would I do? My options are:
1. Go and buy a new CD of Windows for 4000 odd bucks.
2. Borrow the goddamn CD from a friend, and get the CD key from the 'net.
3. Use Linux.

And though I've always wanted to use the latter, I've never pushed myself to do so. So the viable option is number 2. I mean, can you imagine me askign my dad to send me half a grand to buy a Windows CD?!

Next, music. The norm today is to go to Music World, check out the latest music, make a mental note of it, and get back and torrent it.

Music label prices are something I've always been against, the high prices simply deter the populace from buying them.
Look at it this way.

Iron Maiden have released their new album last week or so. How many of us Indians would actually shell out 350 bucks to buy 10 songs? Even if we are so-called, self-professed metal-maniacs? Taking a sample size of 1000 metal freaks, 2 may buy it, and the rest would just download or copy it.

Now suppose the labels made the CD prices more pocket-friendly, say 40-50 Rs a CD (I'm not kidding), atleast a hundred of those people would go and buy it. At least. I leave it to you to do the math and see which would benefit the company more.

It's something I've never understood, and when major Indian record labels reduced CD prices to double digits in 2001, I was really hopeful that this would trigger off a revolution, sort of what mobile telephony has udnergone today. Unfortunately, the kick has never come, and piracy remains rampant.

And books. Apart from public libraries, rich readers and collectors, I really don't fathom how many people would shell out 500 bucks for a book that can be read only once. Apart from, maybe, the moralists who shout from the rooftops about Intellectual Property Rights and all, even if they're willing to pay such a huge price for a book. I am not against literature here, I myself am an avid reader, and ALL my PG Wodehouses are pirated.
When you buy the book, you don't think about how his grandchildren are not going to benefit, and all that crap.

In America, these products may be cheap. Shelling out 350 for a CD may not seem much by their standards, but the thing here is, we still use the Rupee, and to us, that is a very large amount.

Bottom line, unless prices are reduced, there is no way in hell that piracy is going to be stamped out. No amount of trying to prick the conscience is going to do it. And we always find wasy to bypass security.

ChUcK

A Mallu Accent is just a Hyundai made in Kerala. http://www.facebook.com/ChucksComicsAndStuff
I know that since I am in Intellectual Property, I should say that piracy is a bad thing as it is the theft of intellectual property of an individual and is equivalent to robbery, that is it causing loss of revenue to certain people etc. But I can not help saying that at times buying pirated stuff might as well be nee of the hour. Some people will scoff at the thought of buying pirated books but would not even spare a seconds thought while buying pirated software, games etc. And sometimes you can not even help it how many times are you going to buy genuine soft wares, each of which costs more that 2K each. This might be possible on an institutional basis but not on an individual basis.

I am myself a voracious reader and I know that in order to read I would either have to buy a book or lend it from someone. But you may not get a title from your friends and the book normally costs more than 300 bucks. Now the question arises how often can I buy books which cost in excess of 300 bucks and that I will most probs read only once? Though there are certain books that I am willing to buy in original even though they cost nearly 700 to 800, because I want to treasure them but that can not happen to all the books that I buy the only way out is to buy pirated books or look for ebooks ( which are also pirated and a lot more dangerous than the hard copy pirated version)

Another aspect is the music how very often is a person going to buy original music CDs when the flavour changes practically every month or so. The only viable option would be to buy (or Google search) pirated versions of the music. That is the only long term sustainable model if you are a regular for the stuff, be it books, softwares, games, music etc. but if you are to buy a one off thing, I would recommend you to go for an original copy.

Regards,
Aashish Sood
QuintEssence Says
i just adore Piracy think of it as my way of getting back at The Man In short, Pirates rawk !!

Do we really need to hear your opinion on piracy? Isnt it obvious to neone who reads u sig which side u support?
Dear Quinty,

This is the first time I've seen you take such a one sided and biased view in an argument.

~hear me out saar!~

say that i wish to have Mona Lisa in my possession. Now, only one god-darned copy in the world. Either i steal this, or buy a fake. Now stealing is again another god-darned expensive proposition; so i'd rather buy the fake. however, in buying the fake, what do i do ? Piracy...of a sort :wink:

Same argument holds here as well; i expend my time, internet bill & energy (and whatever be the resultant opportunity cost/whatever ) to find one book/music. Over a period of time, i develop an expertise. However, it wasnt developed free of cost, as i indicated earlier. In this time, i could have read more Macroeconomics and consequently scored higher in my exam So, i gave up the future benefit of scoring high by reading mankiw in favor of developing a more short-term skill I am only reaping the benefits of that skill, which is not so obviously available to any random junta out there. So, basically i exonerate myself (hopefully :wink:)

Now, any friends of mine, like you, get stuff for free. what did you do? you spent your own precious time and energy in talking to moi on Y!, PG and whatnot so that, you built a relationship with the guy (thats me). What you are reaping is simply the economic benefit of doing so much work in the first place

Bottomline: there aint no such thing as a free lunch. however, dessert can be free

P.S. obviously totally agree with you, but a man can have one blind spot, cant he :wink:
i just adore Piracy think of it as my way of getting back at The Man

hmm..lets see. book piracy. Scallawags and Pirates have been known to mankind ever since the first vessel disturbed a Viking with a headache. The most famous Pirate of all...William Drake, got knighted, for crying out loud. think of them as people who redistribute and make people (read publishers) look down from their own babel towers into hardcore economics. (read eastern economy editions)

Do the smart thing :wink: never buy books..or rather, never discount ypur ability to stumble upon a once hidden treasure on the internet & the subsequent lamentation of spending $ xx.99 on the same stuff :wink:

now music..aww..come on! you are telling me that your 1001 CDs have all been bought from Planet M/Music World ? i mean, ofcourse if Telgi is not how you spell Uncle Santa Claus. i mean, its ridiculous how much an original CD/DVD costs these days. i'd rather support all those uber-groups who ask for like a $10/month membership and give you like a hazaar new links every month. Discover the power of collective computing, na :wink:

In short, Pirates rawk !!

Dear Quinty,

This is the first time I've seen you take such a one sided and biased view in an argument. OK, agreed that you're god when it comes to finding stuff online, and have probably saved yourself and others thousands of rupees by now, you must consider the other aspect as well, even if for some intellectual stimulation...

What if you were a publisher or an artiste who's earnings were being cut by anywhere between 40% to 80% due to pirace? How would you feel about it? Agreed that publishers and artistes may be making more money than they need, but not all do, and that's not the point anyway. It's a capitalist world, and at the end of the day, we are just stealing someone else's money by reading, watching and listening to pirated stuff.

Don't take this to believe that I'm on the anti piracy bandwagon. I was just trying to show you the other side of the story, which, even though you are aware of, has been clouded over by the glee of finding free stuff online. 😃

i just adore Piracy think of it as my way of getting back at The Man

hmm..lets see. book piracy. Scallawags and Pirates have been known to mankind ever since the first vessel disturbed a Viking with a headache. The most famous Pirate of all...William Drake, got knighted, for crying out loud. think of them as people who redistribute and make people (read publishers) look down from their own babel towers into hardcore economics. (read eastern economy editions)

Do the smart thing :wink: never buy books..or rather, never discount ypur ability to stumble upon a once hidden treasure on the internet & the subsequent lamentation of spending $ xx.99 on the same stuff :wink:

now music..aww..come on! you are telling me that your 1001 CDs have all been bought from Planet M/Music World ? i mean, ofcourse if Telgi is not how you spell Uncle Santa Claus. i mean, its ridiculous how much an original CD/DVD costs these days. i'd rather support all those uber-groups who ask for like a $10/month membership and give you like a hazaar new links every month. Discover the power of collective computing, na :wink:

In short, Pirates rawk !!

Piracy is definitly wrong and should be stopped but we as common man put any effort in this cause only if govt helps ow for us the money and the knowledge in these expensive books both r imp and if we get these books at much cheaper rate then i wont mind going for a pirated one.

If there is no demand for pirated books ,then gradually its market will be over.Now how can the authority make sure tat there is no demand for pirated books in the market,is by bringing the original book prices down for that matter they can compromise with the quality.Obivously the prices cannot be brought down so drastically but atleast the cost of the books should be atleast in the reach of the middle class society.Then preaching or putting the propaganda of not buying pirated things will make some sense to the ppl.As saving saving 150 and above on a book no body will think twice and just go 4 the pirated books but the gap is just 100-150 ppl there conscience may force them to buy the original and here the money wont come in between.

Hmmgood question.
I believe obscurity is a far greater threat to authors than piracy. Therefore, in my view, publishers bear the larger damage.
If anything, it is a rude wake up call for the publishing industry.
And there is no single silver bullet solution to it. The way I see it, publishing houses would have to come up with less expensive and innovative alternatives soon. This could mean reducing paperback profit margins to encourage sales or exploring online hybrids. Whatever it takes.
Baby I can empathize with you. I have had a bad experience with pirated copies myself. So now Im on financial suicide mode (read: Id rather go bankrupt than compromise on the experience of reading). The manifold pleasure of buying first editions, owning them, reading them at leisure and adding them to my collection outshines buying either the cold e-book or the second hand, torn, tattered, soiled & sometimes oiled pass ons.
Im convinced all these publishers are playing on my sentiments and laughing their heads off while depositing my hard earned money into their accounts.
Silver lining? ..at least piracy is helping keep alive the pleasure of reading.
Baby Says
Hmmm....true...though I don't support your idea of pirated books:smile: . (The last pirated book I bought was an year ago. More than a couple of pages were missing and the book literally fell into pieces by the time I was done with it. Also I just love the smell of new books, it is just heavenly:smile: ).

Well, have never had such a problem with pirated books though so I am not complaining. Just buying more and more