Is Family Business accepted as a work experience ?

5 Posts  ·  44 Users
About this group
My Profile:10th :- 83% SSC12th :- 75% HSCB.E(Computer) :- 70%I completed my B.E in 2012 and now I want to pursue MBA. I will take admission in a BSchool for the academic year 2014-2016.So there will be 2 years gap as I am currently not doi...
Page 1 of 1

There's no reason why it shouldn't. It's not like you were sitting around doing nothing. You worked. You gained certain experience. Besides, when I was part of one startup I learnt way more than working as a manager in a big corporation. In a small business you tend to grow quicker professionally. And as mentioned in https://artelogic.net/blog/post/how-to-scale-your-startup-team startup teams strive for innovation, always keep up with the demand and workload. They are doing their best to not let down their customers. So working in a family or any other startup business is defintely a work experience

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Me too same 

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Everyone,

I have a query regarding work-exp. I have been working with a Big-4 IT consulting from past 2 and a half years. From the last year, I have been helping out my younger brother with his start-up in the field of fashion. Recently, I have decided to give up my job as an IT consultant and join the business venture with my brother as a director of the firm. I have my GMAT score of around 730 , and planning to apply to ISB for round 1 this year, along with few other business schools in US.

Here are my queries:

1. Does this 6 month as a director of our start-up count as a relevant work-ex?If it does, what all documents and proofs are required to be submitted to the B-schools.?

2. In case, my start-up experience is counted as relevant work-ex , Can I still get a recommendation letter from my previous employer to be present to the B-Schools? (the industries and nature of job is entirely different and unrelated , prev emp. is IT , start-up is in fashion)

Please reply. TIA.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Expert and senior puys mg plz help!

(This has been asked in reference to CAT'13 exam.)

I have a query regarding work experience. I had opened a company with my brother some years back but I didn't take any salary out of it. I'm it's one of the director of the company.

(1) Now, can I use it to produce it as work-ex showing work experience on the certificate signed by other director?

(2) Do I need to produce any salary slip at the time of interview if I am selected for PI at any institute or is that only work-ex certificate enough?

#Please elaborate a bit to explain me if I can simply use the experience certificate instead of joining letters and salary slips.

(3) Does the panel cross-checks the authenticity of the certificate, I mean do they verify by calling at the office of the company?

3 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 3
Jain93
@Jain93  ·  7 karma

@KumarBhai What did you do ?? I mean how you showed your experience in family business.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
sumit3pat
@sumit3pat  ·  63 karma

you can show it as experience with proper documentation. In my case, it was my own startup company and not my family business. It was a tech company not a shop of any kind. I had all documentation right from company registration, share holding, etc, salary, work experience cert with proper seal n signature. U just need to show proper documents bcoz at the tym of adimission u will have to submit all proofs which u have mentioned in the form.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My Profile:

10th :- 83% SSC

12th :- 75% HSC

B.E(Computer) :- 70%

I completed my B.E in 2012 and now I want to pursue MBA. I will take admission in a BSchool for the academic year 2014-2016.So there will be 2 years gap as I am currently not doing any job. I am currently into my Family Business. So these 2 years will be considered as gap or work experience. I mean is Family Business accepted as a work experience? What documents will be required to submit during admissions and placements?

I am not paid in our Business.

I can only show an experience letter mentioning the duration and code of conduct.Will this suffice?

P.S : I had offers from Accenture and Infosys. But I did not join because I did not want to relocate at that point of time due to some family issues.

If I would have joined these companies as software engineer would it have had any value for my MBA?
1 like10 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 10
drmz
@drmz  ·  0 karma
@ishaquek52012 I ll give CAT this year....i also have same query. I am also currently into family business, very small, with no pay...can u share your interview experience and docs that u needed for work ex
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
bharat_gehlot
@bharat_gehlot  ·  0 karma

What types of questions could be asked if someone havng family business exp?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...