Is 'brand name' of the company important for experienced ppl?

7 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
Guys,I am working in a software company for 2 years and this year I am plannig to go for MBA.So I wanted to ask that whether brand name of the company that I am working for is important or not. If it matters then upto what level?If I am working in...
Page 1 of 1
The G0dfather Says
very difficult to say......my 2 cents is that the brandname doesnt make much of a difference unless it's a Microsoft or a similarly prestigious company........the companies that came to IIMB seemed to be more interested in the candidate's educational background and his achievements during work rather than the brand of his employer

Dude could you please elaborate on educational background and achievements during work??I mean I'm working in a good enough but not exactly a Microsoft kinda company where my present role is limited to coding and testing.Nothing exceptionally notable here.Again my background is Engineering from a private college with average acads.

What are the odds of people with such backgrounds(Non IIT/NIT,average acads,just good enough workex)getting cool placements at the IIMs?Or rather,what are the profiles and packages at which such junta that you know got placed at B in particular??
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
chaitanyas Says
Guys,I am working in a software company for 2 years and this year I am plannig to go for MBA.So I wanted to ask that whether brand name of the company that I am working for is important or not. If it matters then upto what level?If I am working in a company with really big reputation then will it be helpful for me in GD/PI rounds in any way?Awaiting for reply.Thnx in advance.

Well i sincerely believe...rather than brand name ... job profile makes a diff.
B-Schools generaaly select people from diverse back grounds.... a software profile is a very hackeneyed... and hence shldnt make significant difference
brand name makes a diff for second rung colleges who consider giving marks based on wether ur company is listed or not!!!!
chaitanyas Says
Guys,I am working in a software company for 2 years and this year I am plannig to go for MBA.So I wanted to ask that whether brand name of the company that I am working for is important or not. If it matters then upto what level?If I am working in a company with really big reputation then will it be helpful for me in GD/PI rounds in any way?Awaiting for reply.Thnx in advance.

I feel that it is one of the parameters B schools look upon during GD & PI round. Since B schools have the responsibility of placing you at the end of course, they will always prefer candidates from MNCs. They would also consider the domain and role you are handling in your company. With so many software professionals vying for MBA these days, B schools have surely become choosy
chaitanyas Says

hmm.. your company's brand name doesnt matter any more than what u've learnt from working there...having said that, it does help if u r from a microsoft or intel...then again, its what u've learnt thats most important..
chaitanyas Says

Brand name of the company doesnt matter that much but what matter is the things you have learnt from your work & about your companies future plans!!
Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!
chaitanyas Says
very difficult to say......my 2 cents is that the brandname doesnt make much of a difference unless it's a Microsoft or a similarly prestigious company........the companies that came to IIMB seemed to be more interested in the candidate's educational background and his achievements during work rather than the brand of his employer