INVINCIBLE CAT 2013

91 Posts  ·  73 Users
About this group
Guys this group i created for discussion related to all topics. Hope we all participate actively and discuss in depth each and every question , nd finally the winners of cat 2013. Help out each other in queries is main motive of this thread :smil...
Page 1 of 10

Making a distinction between fictional and fictitious, however, is both useful and customary.

Fictional tends to be used in talking about fiction in the sense of creative writing:

Alice in Wonderland is a fictional character created by the mathematician Charles Dodgson.

Fictitious tends to carry a negative connotation and is used to denote fiction associated with dishonesty:

The man used a fictitious resumé to obtain the job.

________________________________________________________________________________

Compliment

compliment as “an expression of esteem, respect, affection, or admiration; especially : an admiring remark”

I was trying to pay that girl a compliment, but she ignored me.

Complimentary also has the meaning “free”, when something is given as a courtesy or favour:

Please accept these complimentary tickets.

I thought that the mini-bar was complimentary, but we were charged for our drinks.

Complement

The word complement comes from the same root as complete. It has nothing to do with being courteous, and comes directly from Middle English, from the Latin word complementum. Merriam-Webster's first definition is “something that fills up, completes, or makes perfect”, and it can also be used to mean“the quantity, number, or assortment required to make a thing complete”,though can sound a little odd or old-fashioned in this context:

We had the full complement of pots and pans.

Our store does not have enough employees to work the required complement of hours.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

The function f ( A, B ) is a function of two positive integers A and B. It is known that f ( 1, 0 ) = f ( 0, 1 ), that f ( 0, k ) = k + 1 (for natural number k ) and that f ( A, B ) = f ( A − 1, f ( A, B − 1 ) ).

What is the value of f ( 1, 1500 )?

(1) 1500

(2) 1499

(3) 1498

(4) None of these

@Dazed-Confused

2 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

He was known for being acerbic and sardonic; it was this trait which made him friendless and isolated.

Who among the following would complement him?

(1) One who is fawning and speaks as a supplicant.

(2) One who speaks saccharinely, and lets loose no opportunity to be grandiloquent.

(3) One who is terse but ambivalent; his utterances show equivocation.

(4) One who is encomiastic and employs skills to come out with paeans, at the right time and for the right occasion.

@Dazed-Confused

4 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

He rode roughshod over the members of his team to fuel his ambitions.

What of the following is remote with respect to the above statement?

(1) It was a heart-rending sight to see the people of the region wallowing in poverty, with the elected representatives playing ducks and drakes with the resources available.

(2) Although the situation was not friendly, Michael rose to the occasion and was the Good Samaritan for the afflicted person.

(3) The incumbent has shown to be a worthy successor and can hold a candle to the predecessor.

(4) He has shown the ability to arm-twist his employer and hit below the belt, if the situation so warrants.

@Dazed-Confused @pratskool

5 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

From the first 20 natural numbers, a combination of 3 distinct numbers is selected and then arranged in ascending order. How many such combinations can be picked such that the average of the extreme numbers gives the middle element?

1) 102

2) 90

3) 94

4) 86

With method please

does we not suppose to take arrangments here ..like if i took 3 numbers ..then they can be arranged in 3! ways ...???

@rudra13 @amresh_maverick @zuloo

3 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Ne1 frm New Delhi ?
I want to know .. Which is d best Coaching centre of TIME among der Delhi Branches?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Triangle ABC is right-angled at A. D is a point on AB such that CD = 1. AE is the altitude from A to BC. If BD = BE = 1, what is the length of AD?

(1) 2^1/3 - 1

(2) (5^1/2 - 1)/2

(3) (5^1/2 + 1)/4

(4) 2^1/2 - 1

(5) none of these

ans=2^1/3-1

Solve it..................

taking similarity of triangles (AEC & ABC ) , AD =x

x^3 + 3x^2 +3x-1 =0 ..cant able to find the roots of this eqn

@amresh_maverick @zuloo @rudra13
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

apologize / apologise .... is there any difference in their usage ??? .. or apologise is incorrect word ? @sreekantkkurup

1 comment
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

How many 4-digit positive integers have the sum of their two leftmost digits equal to the sum of their two rightmost digits?

none

ans 615

@sreekantkkurup @rudra13 @zuloo @amresh_maverick

4 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

difference between the usage of advice/advise ?

like i write ..please advice / advise me which is correct ? @sreekantkkurup @amresh_maverick

4 comments
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...