Indra K. Nooyi appointed as CEO of Pepsi Co.

75 Posts  ·  64 Users
About this group
A great news for Indians, Indra K. Nooyi, and IIMC Alumnus, appointed as the CEO of Pepsi Co. She has been the President and CFO of the group since 2001, and will now take on the resposibilty of CEO from 1st October 2006, following the retirement ...
Page 1 of 8
Ummm...

Given the 'discussions' going on in this thread, maybe I shouldn't post this here...

Yesterday, a new angle came up in our current affairs class. We were discussing the cola controversy - PestiCola et al. One question discussed was, 'Have the Cola co.s failed in their PR efforts?' Somewhere during this discussion, Indra Nooyi's name came up.

Indra Nooyi becoming the CEO of Pepsico will not matter to the end consumer. He or she is more worried about their children drinking more pesticides than go in an equal area of their fields, and their wells running dry because the local plant has sucked in all the groundwater. But it will help raise PepsiCo India's stature in the Indian Industry, if it were meant as a PR venture.

I personally believe that Indra Nooyi rightly deserves to be where she is, PIO, Indian education, glass ceiling, conservative background et al notwithstanding. But the discussion in class brought out a new facet to the story, local optima to global optima, that made me write this post.

Regards,
Harshal
Grondmaster

That is something really interesting,funny how things can be interpreted by people but its certainly an aspect to think about.Maybe Indra K Nooyi was a sureshot successor but the timely announcement by PepsiCo really helps it to regain people confidence in their brand maybe not to a large extent but still,well it could also be a really great diversion technique,atleast it helped in diverting the media anyways thanks GM this new facet to the story is definitely something to think about.

Cheers
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Boy O boy!!!

Dont I love all the dense rambles out in the even denser bushes in PLand Bonkers, hence, I must observe! Attascouts folks!!!

cheers!!!

Don't grow up!

Now that the heat has settled down, here is another link on Nooyi the "average" student. Our prof got quite an ovation when he detailed how she was nowhere near the top There is still hope left for mankind!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1902571.cms

What the..? :wow::wow:

Fine this is really (I mean really my last post in this thread )...Why is everyone piling up strawman after strawman ?? So much so that the point du appui of the whole 'discussion'(?) was lost somewhere in the initial posts!
Admittedly I myself am guilty of adding to the literal fracas ( On hindsight the 'branding' stuff and 'intellectual honesty' was unnecessary and irrelevant..my apologies...)

Enough Said.

DG
Out of the 7 NWITs (National Waste Institutes of Technology) , how dare you narrow down on IITB?

Anyway, I don't see any harm in IIMC people rejoicing over their alum's success. And there is no point in finding how much %age of her success is attributed to IIMC That's not at all the issue.

Don't we rejoice when team India wins a Cricket match? Now how much %age of SackHim's century is attributed to a remote small kid fan rejoicing in the small village of TN?
And if that fan aspires to be SackHim in 10 years. Will you tell him to be practical?
So will you go to that fan and tell him to control his emotions or what? :

And regarding *my B-school rocks* syndrome, there are many PGites with huge signatures singing laurels about their instis.Now that's fair for everyone because one can always hide that stuff under the jargons like creative advertising and applying marketing concepts learnt in the class in real world live-scenarios 😁

If consig comes up with a signature like *Indra Nooyi becomes CEO..And I want to be one like her*, then for some, that is snobbishness. :|

Isn't this the case of double standards?
Anandu roksssssssss ... Hum aa rahe ha IIM L BULLOCKCART me baithke saari LUCKNOW dekhne ... LIVE LIFE LUCKNOW SIZE
anandv
@anandv  ·  2,055 karma

Harvard sells itself through its alumni and so does IIT Bombay...

There has to be an assumption of intelligent readers... If someone says my Bschools rocks... which is prevalent on this forum... From the Stanfordite to the MDIites... its a kind of patriotism to an extent and should be taken with a pinch of salt... Again these and the other generalizations are the only things atleast I was talking about:)

K

DG
Out of the 7 NWITs (National Waste Institutes of Technology) , how dare you narrow down on IITB?

Anyway, I don't see any harm in IIMC people rejoicing over their alum's success. And there is no point in finding how much %age of her success is attributed to IIMC That's not at all the issue.

Don't we rejoice when team India wins a Cricket match? Now how much %age of SackHim's century is attributed to a remote small kid fan rejoicing in the small village of TN?
And if that fan aspires to be SackHim in 10 years. Will you tell him to be practical?
So will you go to that fan and tell him to control his emotions or what? :

And regarding *my B-school rocks* syndrome, there are many PGites with huge signatures singing laurels about their instis.Now that's fair for everyone because one can always hide that stuff under the jargons like creative advertising and applying marketing concepts learnt in the class in real world live-scenarios 😁

If consig comes up with a signature like *Indra Nooyi becomes CEO..And I want to be one like her*, then for some, that is snobbishness. :|

Isn't this the case of double standards?
I think people miss the point here . Sure the college you attend makes a contribution to your career , but to juxtapose Indira Nooyis success as success of IIMC or its excellent ranking is pure bullcrap. By that logic Harvard should be worlds best institute by law cse by last count over 800 CEOs were from Harvard and should have been demoted to worlds worst institute in 2005 cse bad apples like Jeff Skiing , Ken Lay and George Bush were its alma matter. I think it has been universally accepted that it is the research input in a University that ultimately decides its rankings and by that reckoning IITs and IIMs are nowhere. Infact if we go by the latest Economist rankings IIMs are not even in top 100 and comprehensive ranking by Jiao Tong University in China placed only one Indian University IIT Kharagpur in world ranking universities and that too at rank 500(Stanford was number 1). Infact IITs and IIMs derive their strength from the fact that Private sector participation in Indian education is still restricted by government and wages/ research grants, fees etc cannot be independantly set by institutes. In a oasis even a frog can behave like a shark .
Does that mean its not relevant to crack CAT , sure not studying in IIMs is great but there are much better and much worse alternatives as well .

Cheers

Harvard is what it is because of its alumni.True they have great research work but the reason Harvard is in a superleague and is different from a MIT Sloan or a Kellog is its alumni plain and simple. Even if George Bush were a bad President; fact is he is the most powerful man in the world. I do not see the justification for Harvard becoming the worst college here just cos his presidency was bad. Alumni matter, Harvard is perfect proof of that.

That said I totally agree with your point on IIMs thriving as "monopolies" in this sector. This has been a very long debate and all of us at some point or other have said the same thing. But you must understand that they have very successfully managed to perfect the art of "Catchin em early" which ensures that very often any other option in India is only due to inability to get into the IIMs.

One more pertinent point is that The Economist's rankings were fundamentally flawed. IIMA was rated the 'toughest school to get admission' into and was rated a zero in 'student quality'. The simple reason being 'student quality' was measured in terms of the GMAT score alone. Also the increase in salary post MBA was measured in dollar terms which obviously wasn't high enough for the IIMs. Rankings are all about what metrics you choose to measure. And I disagree with your absolute assertion that it has been universally agreed that research output is the only way to decide a school's worth. I have been reading on this debate and research vs practice is an eternal debate in management education.
The point DeAngelo is missing is that a business school is a professional school," USC's Warren Bennis said in an interview. "It creates knowledge not just for the priesthood, but for the wide general public. The work of a businessman is to be a generalist -- to deal with messy data, ambiguities, and uncertainties."
I would advise you to check out the larger part of the debate in the Business Week site if you have subscription. Anyways there is no doubt that the IIMs have a long way to go if they intend to match international standards, but the point being no one is sure of what the role of the IIMs are. Are they vehicles for social reforms or centers of excellence. Till somone in the government figures that out we aren't going anywhere

@grondmaster interesting observation, but given the fact that she was President & CFO for over 5 years now I think it is just natural that she was in line for becoming the CEO. I wouldn't read too much into the timing cos this is not the first time cola cos have got themselves into trouble

I think people miss the point here . Sure the college you attend makes a contribution to your career , but to juxtapose Indira Nooyis success as success of IIMC or its excellent ranking is pure bullcrap. By that logic Harvard should be worlds best institute by law cse by last count over 800 CEOs were from Harvard and should have been demoted to worlds worst institute in 2005 cse bad apples like Jeff Skiing , Ken Lay and George Bush were its alma matter. I think it has been universally accepted that it is the research input in a University that ultimately decides its rankings and by that reckoning IITs and IIMs are nowhere. Infact if we go by the latest Economist rankings IIMs are not even in top 100 and comprehensive ranking by Jiao Tong University in China placed only one Indian University IIT Kharagpur in world ranking universities and that too at rank 500(Stanford was number 1). Infact IITs and IIMs derive their strength from the fact that Private sector participation in Indian education is still restricted by government and wages/ research grants, fees etc cannot be independantly set by institutes. In a oasis even a frog can behave like a shark .
Does that mean its not relevant to crack CAT , sure not studying in IIMs is great but there are much better and much worse alternatives as well .

Cheers

Ummm...

Given the 'discussions' going on in this thread, maybe I shouldn't post this here...

Yesterday, a new angle came up in our current affairs class. We were discussing the cola controversy - PestiCola et al. One question discussed was, 'Have the Cola co.s failed in their PR efforts?' Somewhere during this discussion, Indra Nooyi's name came up.

At that point of time, a classmate gave a pertinent example. Post the cold war era, an American Fortune 500 co. was trying to get a foothold in the erstwhile USSR. Unable to make a mark, it brought in a senior mgmt. person, with the company for 15 years, as the Russia head. The fact that this person was a Russian was, to quote, 'his most important eligibility criteria'. The company found its foothold quite well, and did well in the country.

Of course, this does not hold true here. Indra Nooyi rightly deserves to be the head of a company she has helped do well. But when her company in her home country is getting panned for using pesticides in the products, well, the timing of the appointment does raise a few hackles.

Indra Nooyi becoming the CEO of Pepsico will not matter to the end consumer. He or she is more worried about their children drinking more pesticides than go in an equal area of their fields, and their wells running dry because the local plant has sucked in all the groundwater. But it will help raise PepsiCo India's stature in the Indian Industry, if it were meant as a PR venture.

I personally believe that Indra Nooyi rightly deserves to be where she is, PIO, Indian education, glass ceiling, conservative background et al notwithstanding. But the discussion in class brought out a new facet to the story, local optima to global optima, that made me write this post.

Regards,
Harshal
Grondmaster

@convo, dg,
I've no problems if an IIMC student feels good about his institute when an alumna has become the ceo of one of the world's largest corporations.
It is, but natural.
By the same token, I would expect an IIMC student to feel let down and ashamed if one of its high-flying alumni were to be implicated in a high-profile corporate malpractice a la Enron/Tyco.

If you don't, one senses an element of hypocrisy.

Absolutely Srikanth, but has there been any such incident reported as yet? Do not pr-empt my reaction to such an event! I am proud because something good has happened, I will feel ashamed IF something bad happens. What you say is not restricted to IIMC but to just about anything in life. So while I totally agree with your point I really do not see why you brought it about!

PS:Howz K? From what I've heard you are going hell for leather out there. Keep us 'post'ed