Indian Premier League

700 Posts  ·  136 Users
About this group
I think its time to kick off discussions on the much awaited (and hyped) thing happening in Cricket - IPL. I believe its gonna get enormous success in India. What with the money being spent to buy players. Since the player auctions are under-way...
Page 1 of 70

IPL Over. Thread Closed.

For more discussions, continue on the Cricket Trivia and Discussions Thread.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

on a side track, it is good propoganda for the govt position on kashmir.

it was shown as a part of india. so non- indians will think that is the case.

ps: my personal opinion, kashmiris not terrorists or indo-pak army people should decide the future of that land.

I THINK RAJASTAN IS GONNA WIN

jshah29 Says
another thing - how many of you agree that the "trophy" was not really upto the mark......... i found it very intriguing that it totally lacked any aesthetic sense and was done in a jiffy.... with kind of money, media and hype, the actual trophy put the entire event to shame.... and worse, this will not change in years to come....

True, Totally agree Its been reported as the costliest Trophy ever made with lots of diamond and rubies . Sheer waste of money!! Infact wats more appalling is the same trophy will be rotated each year
jshah29 Says
another thing - how many of you agree that the "trophy" was not really upto the mark......... i found it very intriguing that it totally lacked any aesthetic sense and was done in a jiffy.... with kind of money, media and hype, the actual trophy put the entire event to shame.... and worse, this will not change in years to come....

i disagree...
the trophy has been tagged "the most expensive trophy made till now"

i thought it looked great!!!!

Wow! that was fast - Can you please also provide the source ? I really want to see loss made by Vijay Mallya and Ness Wadia :D
Thanks!

Swagath bhai....answering on your behalf.....;);)

The article is available in The Economic Times dated 03/06/2008. It has given the details of all the IPL teams. The only good part about it is......Swagath's post about the Profits made by only two teams. And will give youa gist of the B'lore Royal Challengeers which screwed Vijay Maalya Royally Net Loss:45 Crores:banghead:

Thought IPL Teams would reap profits due to the media coverage and Indian fans. But, it went the other way round. Hope the next season would bring windfall profits:tongue:

Cheers

KKR ROCKS

A possible reason that I can think of is not financial- it's social. The D.Y. Patil stadium, which had organised half the matches in Mumbai is situated out of the city. This makes it tough for the junta to reach there, and apathy kicks in, with people finally not going. This was the case with D.Y. Patil stadium, where apart from the final, no match had a full house.

swagatsinha Says
The Source is Business Today. And yes, Mr. Mallaya has made a huge loss. Expect his franchise to break even only in Season 4. And one major reason for this is: Lack of Sponsors. The Royal Challengers Bangalore have no sponsors, the only team to have this pitiable condition.

That is because they had sponsorship from in house brands like "Royal Challenger"... and hence no sponsorship revenues....

another interesting perspective (which is puzzling me) - the gate receipts of Mumbai Indians is paltry 17 crores despite having 3 extra matches as compared to 20 crores for KKR...

dont jump on me saying eden is the biggest ground but 3 extra matches shld have atleast leveled the revenues....

True Chamara Kapugdera was a worst choice..They shud have allowed Badrinath to go ahead of Him...such a stupid thing...Badri is a guy of Immense potential ..and i really dont know why he was never given the lower order batting chance..They never utilised his skills properly...
There were few catches missed like the Yousuf's one to Raina..
And balaji also didn't bowl well..esp the costly wide in the final over..
Anyways RR really played well and they deserve this..