IMS or INFOSYS ????

18 Posts  ·  15 Users
About this group
hey guys, i am a biomedical engineer in my final year in mumbai. I have already secured a job in infosys as a software engineer. now the problem is that IMS has offered a job me as a full-time teacher at their centre in mumbai. I did not do t...
Page 1 of 2

i will say that infosys or for that matter ne other it company will be a good option...
a. u get plenty of free time there...but most ppl dont utilize it...
b. if ur into hectic project..u can ask b4 cat to be transferred to some crap project......to aid ur prep......
nd to crack cat only one thing required is sincerity and hardcore discipline...seen lotsa my frez do it..nd crack all iims..

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

"Never allow education to interfere with your learning"
Just for the sake here it is education with work,take the job at hand at Infosys.Its a far better choice than IMS for the folowing
1. You gain quality experience
2. Even if you fail in your next attempt (just for the sake of telling no hurt intended)you have a fine job at hand which will help you to travel further.

Learning from the industry is something more relevant than from coaching institutes.

But one big mistake which lot of people (including me)have done is once into job having seen gud money 7-8L pa people dont find the neccasaty to study,as they feel its better to live the life at hand .
So dont pln to settle ,make some initial effort and keep your inner fire always ignited,you will reach the goal

makes a personal remarks on a poster's intelligence. - no intention at all on the poster's intelligence(after all he'll probably join infy). But on the question and the thought !

If you didn't mean that then I apologize - that is what I felt through the details of your response.

candidate whose aspirations are in teaching - with all due respects dude, what is he gonna 'teach' . If he has interests in teaching, recommend doing a M .Tech from a good college, doing some research and then coming onto teaching.
MBA coaching is not teaching !!

At the end of the day a teacher is not evaluated by *what* he teaches. Rather *how* he teaches. Remember all the teachers who have taught you during your school. Your high-school math teacher perhaps. Was he/she a loser? Just because they didn't do an "MTech from a good college". Teaching is a more noble profession than that.

Infact those who shield themselves with a degree from a reputed institute and end up having plans to teach at the same institute with a solid retirement plan are the worst of the lot. They lack the passion, the conviction, the higher objective of enabling students reach their potential. They give the teaching profession a bad name.

Helping students selflessly *IS* teaching
Being passionate about new methods to deliver *IS* teaching
Creating content to help students better *IS* teaching

and if you do all of this right then MBA coaching *IS* teaching. Else nothing else is.

longer than you have been with Infy - its been 7years now - had you been in an IT company you would have become a Sr. Proj. manager handling a turnover of close to 10 -15 million (approx.) ...what has been your contribution to your company in numeric terms (now this is vitriolic !).

I work as an Account Manager with an Internet products company dealing with global clients handling projects worth close to $10million. So you indeed were ptretty accurate in your assessment. However, you have wrongly presumed that my full-time job is to teach. I do that part-time

FYI - With 7 years experience I bet my bottom dollar no gets this kind of responsibilities in *any* company - Infy, Wipro (I have worked there too), TCS etc. Especially now that you had a huge deluge of IT professionals joining the industry in the 2003-2005 era. At best one can be a project lead or a team lead.

And guess what - my teaching skills has helped me a lot in essaying my professional success. When I talk to a VP at Citibank about credit-card authentication, my job involves educating the clients about the domain (thanks to classroom management skills and ability to crystallize my thought-process in the lectures) , negotiating statements of work (thanks to the countless hours spent discussing topics with bright students in my class) and last of all composing crisp, articulate mails (thanks to my close-to-2000 posts)

Maybe I have a bias towards Infy and its work (u mentioned some thing abt. mainframes - did you just learn the word from someone ....??) It did reflect that you have zilch knowledge abt. tech work.

Among my various roles I have played in the past - I have once architected a reporting solution for a hedge-fund company dealing in the volatile commodities exchange market specifically Energy futures. At that point I have had to create a solution to integrate the database backend with their mainframe solutions.

To answer your question - no I did not learn about the word from someone. I hold a Masters degree in Computers.

"IT-Male-India" tag during application to Bschools abroad. - IT-Male-India - I don't think that tag is bad......what is gonna be bad is having a B.Tech and then teaching in an IMS !!

I would admire to have someone to dares to dream and aspires to do something away from the normal flow. I would admire his passion for teaching. And I am sure he would not want to just enconse himself in a classroom surrounded by students. If he is taking that decision I am sure there is a larger picture to it. A bigger goal that he is working towards. If not, then either as a software engineer at Infy or as a faculty at IMS he is doomed.

there are various pros and cons. - agree with you on this point completely !
Beside I think you have gone out of scope of the discussion and made it a personal issue with a IT vs. 'me' attitude.

When did I ever say it is IT vs. "me" attitude. IT gives me my bread and butter. That is the industry that I work for. At the end of the day technology is what brings home the bacon for me. I am sorry if the verbiage of my post indicated anything else.

However since many of your comments have been personal to me I think it is necessary on my part to educate you. Apart from my full-time job, I have close to a decade of teaching experience - right from software engineering at Aptech to semantics of the Queen's language at IMS/CL/Kaplan. During the course of my weekend batch (read about it here: Home), I confront people from various backgrounds, various levels of interest and aspirations in life. As a teacher my challenge is to enable them realize their goal. There can be no larger satisfaction than to see my students score well and get into their school of choice.

I'll just add at the end that I'm just a normal Software engg., who likes the work and the environment @ infy.

Perfect. No body ever had problems with that.

I hope we can end this discussion between ourselves now and end the caustic env.
Let's just focus on what the real question was.

Dear friend, it seems you are forgetting I made a post and forgot all about it. I responded to your post because I take it as my personal responsibility to help you know about the culture of our forums more. In our pagalguy forums we do not write such condescending replies to a geniune concern of the OA. We have a very healthy atmosphere and I am not willing to allow this atmosphere to be spoilt by someone who has arrived less than a year ago and with 46posts to his name. Tommorow when you become a senior memeber - I would expect you to propogate the very same culture to others.

P.S . what has been your contribution to your company in numeric terms - though is seems as though, but I have no personal animosity, trying to put across the point of 'success' relatively. What I did not like was the example of comparison of 7 years in IT vs test prep.

I can still argue on this I still feel I could have been far more successful as an entrepreneur in test-prep than in IT. You can PM me and I will be happy to share my number with you and we can continue this discussion offline.

Arun

PS: My last post on this thread
India's fastest growing GMAT & GRE Test Prep Company: http://crackverbal.com
There are no stupid questions. Your response has been vitriolic though - written in haste and makes a personal remarks on a poster's intelligence.

I have been associated with the test-prep industry for longer than you have been with Infy - its been 7years now. I know for a fact that for a candidate whose aspirations are in teaching, and who has good managerial skills, this industry offers a lot. Atleast better than working on a maintenance of a main-frame system tucked away in a small cubicle in an isolated corner of the office. Better than a job-title where almost every other role seems to be vertically above you. Better than getting stuck with a "IT-Male-India" tag during application to Bschools abroad.

So as I have mentioned - there are various pros and cons. One should be more circumspect before jumping to hasty conclusions.

Rgds,

Arun

makes a personal remarks on a poster's intelligence. - no intention at all on the poster's intelligence(after all he'll probably join infy). But on the question and the thought !

candidate whose aspirations are in teaching - with all due respects dude, what is he gonna 'teach' . If he has interests in teaching, recommend doing a M .Tech from a good college, doing some research and then coming onto teaching.
MBA coaching is not teaching !!

longer than you have been with Infy - its been 7years now -
had you been in an IT company you would have become a Sr. Proj. manager handling a turnover of close to 10 -15 million (approx.) ...what has been your contribution to your company in numeric terms (now this is vitriolic !). Maybe I have a bias towards Infy and its work (u mentioned some thing abt. mainframes - did you just learn the word from someone ....??) It did reflect that you have zilch knowledge abt. tech work.

"IT-Male-India" tag during application to Bschools abroad
. - IT-Male-India - I don't think that tag is bad......what is gonna be bad is having a B.Tech and then teaching in an IMS !!

there are various pros and cons.
- agree with you on this point completely !
Beside I think you have gone out of scope of the discussion and made it a personal issue with a IT vs. 'me' attitude.

I'll just add at the end that I'm just a normal Software engg., who likes the work and the environment @ infy.

I hope we can end this discussion between ourselves now and end the caustic env.
Let's just focus on what the real question was.

P.S . what has been your contribution to your company in numeric terms - though is seems as though, but I have no personal animosity, trying to put across the point of 'success' relatively. What I did not like was the example of comparison of 7 years in IT vs test prep.
Straight to the point - I think u have no idea, and have asked a stupid question.

There are no stupid questions. Your response has been vitriolic though - written in haste and makes a personal remarks on a poster's intelligence.

How can you compare infy's work-ex. with some 'coaching' job ...its not even proper teaching !!

I am in Infy, and had taught at IMS prior to joining infy (after graduating and before joining - Infy's joining date was in oct. and i graduated in may. )

Its a different ballgame altogether if u think that u may not have enough time on ur hands to prepare for the next year if u join infy or if you are morbidly afraid of programming or anything remotely connected to computers

If u do decide to join infy, and like it here ....would be glad to hear from u.

I have been associated with the test-prep industry for longer than you have been with Infy - its been 7years now. I know for a fact that for a candidate whose aspirations are in teaching, and who has good managerial skills, this industry offers a lot. Atleast better than working on a maintenance of a main-frame system tucked away in a small cubicle in an isolated corner of the office. Better than a job-title where almost every other role seems to be vertically above you. Better than getting stuck with a "IT-Male-India" tag during application to Bschools abroad.

So as I have mentioned - there are various pros and cons. One should be more circumspect before jumping to hasty conclusions.

Rgds,

Arun

Straight to the point - I think u have no idea, and have asked a stupid question.

How can you compare infy's work-ex. with some 'coaching' job ...its not even proper teaching !!

I am in Infy, and had taught at IMS prior to joining infy (after graduating and before joining - Infy's joining date was in oct. and i graduated in may. )

Its a different ballgame altogether if u think that u may not have enough time on ur hands to prepare for the next year if u join infy or if you are morbidly afraid of programming or anything remotely connected to computers

If u do decide to join infy, and like it here ....would be glad to hear from u.

hi murthy...ur true and you've said things very correctly......but i have another viewpoint to the first statement....if someone is confident abt cracking cat........then whats the purpose in joining a coaching inst......and there are chances that cat (and other mba exams)might go well but there is a chance of facing trouble in the g.d./pi....also in future...i.e....during mba placements...this coaching inst workex...might be of little use...
and i truly agree to all other points ...well said...
cheers
TGVRRR

Yes, it might not go down well in the gd/pi but if you have a decent percentile,such things are invariably overlooked. There have been many such cases in the past. They grill you only when you are a borderline case and they need a strong case to eliminate you. The other side of me saying like that was, if you join infosys you may not get time during the initial training period, so a good four months will be lost before you seriously start preparing again.

And yes I forgot to add, 1 year workex anyway doesn't make you eligible for laterals in mba placements. You are considered a fresher only.

i guess going forward any more dicussions on this topic can be continued at the infosys thread.
this thread can be locked as it is a repeat

mods kindly decide.

regards,
bharath

As with most other things in life - there are multiple factors involved and what can be best done is take them objectively and apply it your unique circumstances.

Teaching at IMS:
-------------------

Pros:

(a) If you are passionate about teaching - and are able to look beyond what is in it for you - and start thinking about it for yourself, this is definitely an option you must mull over.

(b) If you think that this will hone your communication/presentation skills - something that is so very important in a BSchool, you are not mistaken.

(c) If you aspire to grow into a manager in an exciting domain - education, the options are limitless. An IMS/CL/TIME etc. will definitely reward people who stick to it and who can back it up by ability. Realize most of the top guys in this institutes are top Bschool guys. With the number of centers growing by the day its a fantastic opportunity for you to grow.

Cons:

(a) Your employability will be come restricted. You can just apply your knowledge and skills to various institutes in this area - Jetking (hardware) or say Kaplan (GMAT) and such. An IT guy can walk into any of the thousands of great-paying IT companies (given he has a strong skill-set.)

(b) After a point it can become monotonous and bore you out of your skull.

Job at Infosys:
-----------------

Pros:

(a) As mentioned above - very high employability. Being in IT, you can never be out of a job (and a decent paying one at that) in the near future. Period.

(b) Ability to take variety of roles/projects as well as travel outside India.

(c) No body is going to raise an eyebrow during MBA interviews (not that they should if you show IMS exp but then )

Cons:

(a) You can be stuck doing a munchkin level job which has zero visibility OR if you are assigned to bench - then you are virtually sentenced to death by boredom.

(b) Its hard to diffrentiate yourself from a few million others in the same career stage and with little scope for rapid advancement

(c) If technology is not your cup of tea - you are deadmeat. You have to endure the pain for another 8years before you can get into actual management.

HTH,

Arun

murty001 Says
It depends on what your mindset is. If you are prepared to join any mba insti next year or you are confident of cracking the CAT big time, then you may take up the IMS offer. The problem arises when at the end of it all you still find yourself in a swamp. I mean to say that, what if you don't get an MBA insti of your choice? Are you prepared to go to any institue for that matter? Or if not, then are you willing to continue at IMS for another year? The thing is while at Infosys you get quality workex. And while during the intial training period at infy you might not have time to prepare, you will be able to find time once you get into production. And a majority of people here do prepare for CAT. So you can think along these lines and decide what is best for you.

hi murthy...ur true and you've said things very correctly......but i have another viewpoint to the first statement....if someone is confident abt cracking cat........then whats the purpose in joining a coaching inst......and there are chances that cat (and other mba exams)might go well but there is a chance of facing trouble in the g.d./pi....also in future...i.e....during mba placements...this coaching inst workex...might be of little use...
and i truly agree to all other points ...well said...
cheers
TGVRRR