iit -worth a drop

12 Posts  ·  11 Users
About this group
hello friends hey i need a bit of your advice. i am a class 12 student. i applied for iit this year. but did not get through but i am getting another decent good college. should i appear for iit next year.well i also plan to do mba later.so is...
Page 1 of 2
Crash_test_dummy Says
is it just me, or did that post ACTUALLY not make any sense? clarity of thought needed ppl!

really 😃
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

i dropped ...... and even after dropping i wrote only one entrance test...
and .........
......now i think i can crack any written test on this planet........

not coz test was very difficult .......coz i learnt how to do things ..passion...zeal..
And abt priority...
once u get into ... there will be several + after A against the name of insti from which u would like to do ur mba ...
just imagine... some of ur friend will do from Harvard .. some from MIT........ some from IIMA ...B....C....
You will be bound to think several + after A......although its not officially compulsory

is it just me, or did that post ACTUALLY not make any sense? clarity of thought needed ppl!
Pal... you have to decide your priority...Is it doing engg from A+ institute or MBA from A+ college!!
So, if you think you will defintly do MBA then dropping a year is of no use!!
If you are not sure about MBA , then go for IIT!!
All the best.

:D
I was in a similar situation few years ago..
what should you do ??
drop a year or continue? its completely personal choice ....

Go a little easy on the fonts...

Also, if you did go thru the posts, you will get to know that we were talking about REGULAR colleges. No one mentioned anything about BITS or BHU!!!

Her posting is on a completely different thought. She doesnt want the other top colleges to be labled as IIT's in the future. WE, on the other hand, are trying to get into any one of those. What do you think happens to people who dont get a good rank in IIT? They go into a branch of their choice into BHU. And also, as everyone has commented, BRAND LABEL MATTERS!!! It is the real reason all of us are after the IIM's. Otherwise why not go ahead and join "eye eye pee yem"!!!!

Read the posts, get the facts straight, read them again, and still if you feel that my post is not right, go back to the starting of this sentence.

All those lover of iities check out this link
http://in.rediff.com/getahead/2006/jun/28rashmi.htm
Crash_test_dummy Says
i feel the whole IIT craze is too over-hyped. Wasting one year of your most productive period in life is inexplicable. If you put in one year of hard work into other activities along with your engineering from a regular college, you can do wonders. The time/money/energy you spend studying for IIT entrance for one year can be used to do courses on the side, do a part time job, pursue a hobby, acquire a new skill, carry out a research, write a paper, do an internship, etc etc...WHILE doing your engineering! If you prepare for IIT by taking a drop, i feel you are relying more on the IIT label to carry you thru life rather than your own hard work. i was in the same situation 5 years ago...i decided to go for the regular college. at the end of four years, i got placed in an MNC. the person who was filling the joining forms next to me...i asked him which college he is from, and the reply was: IIT! So as long as your other college has decent placements, I suggest you drop the idea of a drop and end this wild goose chase right away. A bird in hand is better than two wherever.

Now that i can juxtapose the 2 opinions, I dont give a rat's arse about the second one!! There are so many things here to dwell upon that i'd rather write a book!

First of all, if you did get placed into an MNC, did you ask the IITian what was his GPA? Just getting into IIT is not good enough. You need to go through the grind and then show how different you are...

IIT label to carry you thru life!! Which label are you dependent on?? The MNC you joined? Everyone in here is searching for a label to "CARRY THEM THRU LIFE". What is different in Harvard and Wharton and ISB and Insead and MIT?? They are all labels that you and me are fighting over!!

For a lot of people, it is just not IIT that's the aim. The target is to show that you can compete against over 100,000 peers, and then come through on top. Obviously the name matters, obviously after 4 years they will not be seen in the same light as you or I, obviously when they send their application to MIT for MS they'll get preference over yours or mine...

To answer your other parry - It is not COMPULSARY for someone to join coaching. As i said in my earlier post as well, they need to braoden the base instead of just thinking about IIT. It ould go a long way if they get involved in something apart from Physics and Maths. But let me tell you, if he does 3 things less that year, and makes it to IIT, it'll be worth it!! it is worth the sweat and the hard work these people put in, or else why this discussion at all!!

i feel the whole IIT craze is too over-hyped. Wasting one year of your most productive period in life is inexplicable. If you put in one year of hard work into other activities along with your engineering from a regular college, you can do wonders. The time/money/energy you spend studying for IIT entrance for one year can be used to do courses on the side, do a part time job, pursue a hobby, acquire a new skill, carry out a research, write a paper, do an internship, etc etc...WHILE doing your engineering! If you prepare for IIT by taking a drop, i feel you are relying more on the IIT label to carry you thru life rather than your own hard work. i was in the same situation 5 years ago...i decided to go for the regular college. at the end of four years, i got placed in an MNC. the person who was filling the joining forms next to me...i asked him which college he is from, and the reply was: IIT! So as long as your other college has decent placements, I suggest you drop the idea of a drop and end this wild goose chase right away. A bird in hand is better than two wherever.

But dont loose heart as both are possible as well. If you are that keen on IIT, go for it man!! Nothing like it. Gain some exposure after college, and you can easily explain a year GAP!! There will be MANY who have gone down the same path.

A friendly advice - Dont limit yourself to BOOKS this year. Try to do something else apart from IIT JEE preparation as well. Something that relaxes you or takes your mind off everything else.

All the best!

hello friends
hey i need a bit of your advice.
i am a class 12 student. i applied for iit this year. but did not get through but i am getting another decent good college. should i appear for iit next year.well i also plan to do mba later.so is it worth .i hope u reply me soon. it is needed.

Pal... you have to decide your priority...Is it doing engg from A+ institute or MBA from A+ college!!
So, if you think you will defintly do MBA then dropping a year is of no use!!
If you are not sure about MBA , then go for IIT!!
All the best.
Only thing i like about stone in my path is, when I cross them, they become my milestones!
hello friends
hey i need a bit of your advice.
i am a class 12 student. i applied for iit this year. but did not get through but i am getting another decent good college. should i appear for iit next year.well i also plan to do mba later.so is it worth .i hope u reply me soon. it is needed.

there r two things in conjunction
1% of knowing all is far better than 100% of 1thing
U hv already thout to take CATin future so it doesnt metter much to study in iit or any other prestigious (i said prestigious) coollege
taking one drop cud trap u in future to tak one more if u cudnt make it to iits again
by the same yardstick u cud take a drop in future if u cunt get +mission in A+ mba course