IIT Kanpur GD/PI Experiences(2010-2012)

29 Posts  ·  19 Users
About this group
Had my GD/PI(or i may say Case study/PI) today.:cheerio: Sabsey important ->Ask the guards where exactly is the IME department which is the venue for the GD/PI round. I talked to some people and they all had problems in finding the place(I had...
Page 1 of 3
seniors,
when are the results expected to be out..?

On or before 21st of April...
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

seniors,
when are the results expected to be out..?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

My gd/pi was on 19th mar 2 pm..Reached IIT kanpur main gate on 19th morning by 11 am.The guy at the reception counter near the main gate asked us to go to hall 10 and gave us the map ...we had no problem finding it since the autowala was very familiar with IIT. once v reached hall 10 the security guided us to the control room ...Seniors were very friendly they gave us our room keys and asked us to be ready by 12:45 in front of our respective hostel blocks (accommodation was given in four diff hostel blocks) and they would send mini bus for taking us to the gd/pi venue .

There were about 70 people in my slot .After a brief ppt about the course one set of people were sent for their gd...I was waiting for my gd ,but all of a sudden they called my name and said that i have to attend my personal interview now and my name was the first on the left....

i was in panel 2. There were 3 panelists ..
p1 was a sardar and was a jovial one...p2 did not talk to me at all..

p1:so you are a fresher...which coll?
me:sir coll of eng ,chennai sir..from eee dept..
p1:which is u r fav sub?
me:sir machines especially dc machines.
p1:can u tell me diff between ac and dc machi?
me:blah blah ..(tried to explain but was interrupted)
p1:please tell me in one word?
me:.........(said somethin)
p1:In this room can you tell me which equipments have ac coils..
me:told them ac, pc,then tube light.
p1:tubelight where?
me:........(gave him the ans)
p1:asked me about tester...
me:answered somethin but was not able to explain about single phase current............
p1:(asked me about ac power)
me: blah blah
p1:(referred to p3 to ask somethin)
p3:tell us about u r final year project?
me :(explained)
p1: thank you ....

The entire interview lasted around 5-10 minutes...

Gd was a case based one ...It was something about globalization
They will randomly call each of the 12 persons to talk for 2 min individually
The open gd was for 6 min..got to talk only once in open gd,,

On the whole it was a good experience decent pi and a not so decent interview

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi everybody, I am bit late over here
I had my gd/pi scheduled on 20th march 2pm slot,tht topic is already discussed over here...
for PI, I had been called in panel 2, which consisted of 4 members...
I was very much surprised as they didnt ask me much technical stuff, just 2-3 questions frm my CS backgrnd, which were general questions...
most of the questions were rather related abt politics, etc...

But the seniors over there are realllllllllly helpful and the campus is really good, the hostels are gr8, with a really GOOD food, in mess as well as in canteen ( I was surprised no one mentioned it:-o )

Thanks to all the seniors who made my stay in IIT K memorable

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Vivek:

Take a look at the previous PI experiences in the same thread .... stress interviews have been the norm this year at IIT Kanpur ....

So rest assured that everybody is in the same boat when it comes to PI .... the GD will then become the differentiator ..as we mentioned during your classroom orientation prior to the GD/PI ...

so relax and dont think of it in the negative ....

thanks Tejas Sir.. But coming outside the room, the first feeling was that its all over ... really want to make it as now, we have the institute comparision formula given by you
Hope that IIT K will come out with the waiting lists as promised, this year atleast.. yeah, with most of ppl having multiple (Including IIM) calls, if all 77 seats get filled, I might just make it!!
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
yeah..i hope everybody is in same boat...
but 1 more thing ...my interview hardly went for 2-3 minutes...while others were interviewed quite long...donno if there is something wrong wd my face...lolzzz...no interviewer has ever beared me more than 4-5 minutes...i wonder hw it took 20-30 mins for some

Seriously man
My Kgp interview was for 10-15 mins
and my Kanpur one seemed to last hardly 5-7 mins
Whereas ppl were grilled for 30 mins or so

Or maybe time is relative as Mr Einstein sain.
and our perseption of time may be a bit screwed

1 more thing i forgot to mention in the prev post.
The ppl of Kanpur seem to be very helpful(both inside and outside the campus)
I got a bike ride from the campus to half way to the stn
Also the shared rick fellows were quite honest and didnt fleece me or look at me with scorn (inspite of me telling them, that im from Mumbai....that full mns bhaya stuff)
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi
Not sure if the GD/PI process is over or not.
Here goes my experience

Firstly Campus is amazing...absolutely blew me away, hostel (hall 4) was below average with a lot of mosquitoes...but no complaints .
There was a presentation prior to the GD/Pi, it was actually really good. I forgot the guy's name who delivered it(im bad with names) but it was really a well done presentation.

Our case study also was pretty peaceful. It's already been covered by the previous posts(regarding corporate social resp. and indian companies bla bla). Spoke a couple of times during the 10 min discussion.
1 guy tried interrputing another fellow, but was immediately rebutted ("Sir, let me finish pls"). No 1 tried to interrupt after that.
Since our numbers were on the desk it wouldn't be visible to the panel....wonder how they going to evaluate.

As far as the PI. I was in panel 2. There were 4 profs there.
Saw all my acads etc etc. Asked me about my CAt score and what calls. TOld him SP Jain(which i shouldn't have)
Then started the PI
Q) Tell me something bout yr work
A) bla bla bla.....SAP bla bla

Q)Adv and Disadv of SAP
A) Bla bla bla

Q)Which to choose SAP or BAAN?
A) I said that i've never worked on BAAN but it would probaly depend on the requirement and the business process

Q)How would u bridge the Gap betn the business and SAP?
A) Bla bla bla

Meanwhile someone enters the room and they all start chatting, while i just looked around
THen another prof get up from his sleep and asks me what would i choose between SP Jain of IIT K
A) I told him that i have an IM call from SP so i'd choose Kanpur operations(which is the truth)
Another prof seemed to be pretty pissed off with my answer and said we dont have operations here,,,,we have MBA bla bla
I said i meant MBA in operations management
He said ok.
Then someone else enters and they start chatting.
After their short conclave 1 prof says "Ok we r done....You can leave".

I said "I think you were asking me something"
He says "Is it?"
I said ya about operations.
He said "No we were telling you that"

My feeling - They seemed pretty pissed off with me, maybe they thought that i was prevaricating or something.....so a call seems very unlikely.

In all apart from the PI IIT K was a very good experience. Met some seniors like Manu, Gyan(was quite a gyan fellow), Siddharth, 1 ex-GE ops fellow(forgot yr name yaar) and some others. Very nice ppl to talk to. Good experience as a whole. Hopefully this helps me in my next couple of calls.

P.S - I'm still hoping those profs were pulling my legs and weren't pissed off or something, can't really say.
ATB to the rest.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@fail:

hope you have looked up the remaining interviews posted on the thread ....hope more so that you will now agree that everyone has had disastrous PIs..

so tension nako and rest assured chances koi kum nahin hue hain ...

yeah..i hope everybody is in same boat...
but 1 more thing ...my interview hardly went for 2-3 minutes...while others were interviewed quite long...donno if there is something wrong wd my face...lolzzz...no interviewer has ever beared me more than 4-5 minutes...i wonder hw it took 20-30 mins for some
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
ATP
@ATP  ·  0 karma

@fail:

hope you have looked up the remaining interviews posted on the thread ....hope more so that you will now agree that everyone has had disastrous PIs..

so tension nako and rest assured chances koi kum nahin hue hain ...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
ATP
@ATP  ·  0 karma

@Vivek:

Take a look at the previous PI experiences in the same thread .... stress interviews have been the norm this year at IIT Kanpur ....

So rest assured that everybody is in the same boat when it comes to PI .... the GD will then become the differentiator ..as we mentioned during your classroom orientation prior to the GD/PI ...

so relax and dont think of it in the negative ....

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...