IIT B or CAT 09

8 Posts  ·  6 Users
About this group
Hello all, this is first post and believe me, i was not planning to have this discussion on this forum. But cant help it. Please carefully hear my dilemma.... I am currently working in Embedded Software company for last 2 years. good acads (X ...
Page 1 of 1
Hello all,
this is first post and believe me, i was not planning to have this discussion on this forum. But cant help it. Please carefully hear my dilemma....
I am currently working in Embedded Software company for last 2 years. good acads (X >90, XII > 90, B.Tec >8.5 GPA) good extra curr.
After getting kicked twice in GRE (with final score around 1280, couldn't clear that 1300 mark), i thought ki boss i should try for India's best. But that was too late for CAT 08. With only two months of preparations I ended up with 90 %. I appeared for JMET, XAT, CET. XAT 94%. Now let me come to the point.
Luckily I cleared JMET(being OBC helped me to some extent) and got calls from IIT-B,D. . I was not that much hopeful with my low JMET rank(not that low believe me). Also I had in my mind that anyhow I will be appearing for CAT 09 so no tension. Because of this I went for GD PI without any fear, expectation, tension, gave my best shot and cleared IITB. Didnt go for IITD because I was not sure ki I will clear it or not. so why to waste money for going so far(B'lore to Delhi). No hard feeling for IIT D guys trust me.
So with my luck and good performance, I cleared it and got call from IIT B(not even waiting list Also thats the only call i am having...:splat:). Now the dilemma has begun and it is not even letting me to enjoy IPL..
So guys help me out......Should I join IIT B or go for CAT 09..I have paid the fees to have some more time to think on this matter. i have read all the post with tag "IITB" or "SJM SOM". I even talked to few guys from IIT B. And let me tell you that they were amazing and very helpful(no offence seniors still I am posting this to have a general opinion.)
See I was bit confused regarding the rating given to IIT B. PG has given around 20. I know that it perception based but still. Otherwise IIT B has decent ranking around 10-15. Also fees is one factor..8.8 is too much. but see its not a constraint for me.....But what about ROI....?
Also I am thinking that whether because of high fees, IIT B will loose its position among students??????

Well you have a opportunity so grab it. Schools don't have magic wands to turn you into a 'super corporate dude', you have to anyway prove yourself where ever you are. And you have a very college in your bag, which has a name for faculty, infrastructure, location and placements .
So, it a good gain, believe in your decision and your ambition of doing an MBA and gaining the best from it.
Someday = Never
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

see bro IIT is a place from where u neet not to look beyond...all reputed companies wil b visiting campus..u'll be in herd of some of d top minds of this country...this is wat u can ask from any gud inst(IIM/IIT/ISB OR WHATEVER). Every year is precious don't waste ur time...a slight possibility of not making to IIMs next year wil put u in a condition of u wud not like to think about. so for IITB it's premier b school no doubt...it's quality of students which matters. hasn't it been JBIMS wud not b so coveted seeing it's infrastructure, and number of faculties. go on i think rest is ur choice. gud bye TC

Hey Srikanth, please dont get offended by shakti_1982's reply. I just wanted some opinions, thats it. I never wanted to compare IIT B with others(I know where it stands exactly). I know by mistake discussion is heading in that direction. But he(Shankti) just gave his opinion and may be he is exagerating the statement(only to stress the point)., ...thats what i feel. So please dont get offended and let this discussion to be carried forward for few more responses. Also I know that in the end it is only upto me....so dont take it personally....

shakti_1982 Says
You see Age is on your side.SO you can give one more shot at IIMs and its should not be difficult for you clearing JMET alone.If you are confident and have great will to make it to the top 3 IIMs then nobody can stop you.However if you are satisfied withh IITB than its upto you.Because the top 3 IIMS are alone better than SJMSOM and this is a highly prestigious and a very good institute.

hiii shakti..its unfair on ur part to compare B-Schools and blatantly say that only top 3 IIMs are better than SJMSOM..lets now leave it upto him..i request the mods to close this thread now..it may invite unnecessary comparisons..hope u understand what i mean..pls dnt groan..
Hello all,
this is first post and believe me, i was not planning to have this discussion on this forum. But cant help it. Please carefully hear my dilemma....
I am currently working in Embedded Software company for last 2 years. good acads (X >90, XII > 90, B.Tec >8.5 GPA) good extra curr.
After getting kicked twice in GRE (with final score around 1280, couldn't clear that 1300 mark), i thought ki boss i should try for India's best. But that was too late for CAT 08. With only two months of preparations I ended up with 90 %. I appeared for JMET, XAT, CET. XAT 94%. Now let me come to the point.
Luckily I cleared JMET(being OBC helped me to some extent) and got calls from IIT-B,D. . I was not that much hopeful with my low JMET rank(not that low believe me). Also I had in my mind that anyhow I will be appearing for CAT 09 so no tension. Because of this I went for GD PI without any fear, expectation, tension, gave my best shot and cleared IITB. Didnt go for IITD because I was not sure ki I will clear it or not. so why to waste money for going so far(B'lore to Delhi). No hard feeling for IIT D guys trust me.
So with my luck and good performance, I cleared it and got call from IIT B(not even waiting list Also thats the only call i am having...:splat:). Now the dilemma has begun and it is not even letting me to enjoy IPL..
So guys help me out......Should I join IIT B or go for CAT 09..I have paid the fees to have some more time to think on this matter. i have read all the post with tag "IITB" or "SJM SOM". I even talked to few guys from IIT B. And let me tell you that they were amazing and very helpful(no offence seniors still I am posting this to have a general opinion.)
See I was bit confused regarding the rating given to IIT B. PG has given around 20. I know that it perception based but still. Otherwise IIT B has decent ranking around 10-15. Also fees is one factor..8.8 is too much. but see its not a constraint for me.....But what about ROI....?
Also I am thinking that whether because of high fees, IIT B will loose its position among students??????

You see Age is on your side.SO you can give one more shot at IIMs and its should not be difficult for you clearing JMET alone.If you are confident and have great will to make it to the top 3 IIMs then nobody can stop you.However if you are satisfied withh IITB than its upto you.Because the top 3 IIMS are alone better than SJMSOM and this is a highly prestigious and a very good institute.
Hello all,

Don't go by PG rankings. SJMSOM is one of the best in India, and unless you are sure of making it to the big 3 next year don't leave it. This is just my personal suggestion.

see IIT-B is a very gud college..dont alwas go by the rankings alone..as for ur profile n all,u will nt loose nethng if u join IIT-B..fee is almost the same everywhere..
if u want the IIM tag,den prepare for another year..that is also a good option..
finally either ways,u ll nt lose much...
PS: prepare for another year...go to IIM or XLRI

Hello all,