IIM Shillong!!!

25 Posts  ·  89 Users
About this group
Hi guys, Check out this story...IIM Shillong is going to be the 7th IIM :: :: :: http://www.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=54407 Meghalaya beats Assam to get IIM Press Trust of India Posted online: Saturday, September ...
Page 1 of 3
A_1
@A_1  ·  0 karma

Institutions take time and trust.The older IIM's command such respect because of the trust that has been reposed in them over time. It is, of course natural to scoff at the idea that an IIM could be built in an obscure part of the country, but spatial disadvantages donot spell disaster for an institute. Some clarifications are thus in order -

1) There need not be any "industry" in a location where an IIM is situated.
And contrariwise,the presence of an IIM does not have any bearing on the Industry in that region. IIMK, as "pointed" out earlier, is a good example.

2) Companies will beat a path to a good Institute even if its underwater.Sure, they'll crib and be skeptical for a while,but then, when they come down to campus, its usually a big problem getting them to leave! The HR guys like to holiday as often as they can, and enjoy the god-like status they are accorded at Bschools. So, trust me, companies will come to campus.Infact, many companies are looking to experiment with newer campuses, so won't be surprised if IIMS beats all expectations come placement season

The teething problems that any young institute always has will be present anyway, the temporary campuses while the real one gets built,the visting faculty etc etc...but it would be gross mistake to debase these institutions when they have not even started to prove themselves.

People perceptions are a funny thing, we are the first to believe the worst abut people,places and things in general, but it takes us a herculean effort to grudgingly accept that some things might actually not be as bad as we perceive.

I would say kudos to the Govt, and to the IIM's, for taking this decision.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
j0
@j0  ·  0 karma
Mehul Says
But Seeting up of an mgmt Insti.in that region wud boost the devlpmnt of indstry ind Infra..

Like the IIM in Kozhikode did??;) :)

2be Says
what nxt? IIM andaman?

Arre boss read the thread theek se... it's IIM Lakhwadeep. :whatthat:

I think thr is nothing erong with Setting up an IIM out thr..
Agreed Infra and industry not present thr...
But Seeting up of an mgmt Insti.in that region wud boost the devlpmnt of indstry ind Infra..
And impretty sure 5 yrs down the Line it will have some standing amongst B-schools...
Overaal this is a big boost for NE R egion...

what nxt? IIM andaman?

Certainly!! i was born there and did my schooling in shillong. Its indeed a good place to live....but as far as opening up of an IIM is concerned....i don't think its a good decision. there is no industry, no qualified prof....and to top it all its a dead city after 7 o'clock in the evening. Politically its a good decision...but professionally its a very poor decision.

thats so cool...
my dads in the army and we were posted there when i was in 6th 7th and 8th....
shillong is one of the most beatiful placesi have ever seen...
its weather is like woo hoo...the scenery..mesmerizing...
but then....getting there is a problem...plus local faculty...bad !!!! ( atleast my ex in skool)
but if u wanna spend 2 years someplace rite in the lap of nature....iim shillong is 4 u...
plus shillong is one of the few peaceful places in the north east....
man...
damn gud news this....

so gr8 news 4 the north east
let the north east people not feel that they r outsiders
govt should take such steps to make it a happening town for all indians like mumbai and new delhi.
i hope more and more iims to be set up bcos there is no derth of talents in india
and also the students from the weaker society should get a fair chance to make it to the iims.
so above all lets cheer

oh !!!

and where did I darken the bubble against the PGP course of IIM S ?:wow:

rofl over the news...

Yes, the lack of proper infrastructure and a communication bottleneck will definitely be a hurdle that will be a challange for the first few batches....

But nonetheless, this is a very bold and much needed step towards the betterment of the region.

Incidently, people were cynical in the same way when IIT Guwahati was established. But as far as I know after a few years the institute has matured a lot and is quickly catching up with the other IIT's.

Lets hope for the best.....

its gr8 that they are setting up an IIM in NE...
But obviously the Proper Infra and Plaements would be in place only aafter 3-4 yrs..
Also i doubt they will enroll students for 2006 batch..
if so they wud have decided much earlier..
and CAT Bulletin wud have had this info...

Also i doubt whether ppl will be keen to join IIM S
But still a good beginning...

the next IIM in Shillong...don't know what to say abt this...but whatever the case maybe, i dont think that it wud be functional from the very next year i.e 2006..

The CAT Bulletin said nuthing abt it, the form had nothing to fill in about shillong and personally i think atleast it wud take a year for them to have basic infrastructure..so in all likelyhood it would be for the 2007-2009 batch...

For the rest, we still have only 6 IIMs ..vaise why cant the HRD Ministry look into places like GOA or maybe even Gurgaon...

Im not even sure if Shillong is well connected to the rest of the country...How will they manage to call the Co. for campus recruitment and are there any industries in Shillong??

just wondering..

ciao:)