IIFT 2008-2010----GD/PI preparation

347 Posts  ·  114 Users
About this group
Hi I am starting this thread so as to converge all the material regarding GD/PI specific to IIFT shall come to the right place. Please contribute any previous interview materails you have, or whatever you have herad from the grapevine. ...
Page 1 of 35

Hi there,

I have applied for IIFT's EPGDIB 2008-10 programme and I am a software developer with 3 years of experience. Can you please guide methrough the essay and the GD topics that are expectedlly asked and how should i go about the prepration of PI. whats the criteria of selection..? Is it the total numbers of exeprience years or the essay content etc.. the tests are scheduled in next week in IIFT delhi Campus only and mine is in mid week.. It would be great if you can help me in this regard.

Thanks a ton,
Shachi

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

Moderators, a new thread has been opened for IIFT GD/PI experiences (http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/iift-gd-pi-experiences2008-2010-25028329). I suggest you freeze this thread for fresh posts.

Hi Friends,
had IIFT GD/PI today morning at IIFT Kolkata.....The good news is that IIFT has decided to do away with Essay Writing 😃 .

Souvick

WELL done dude....

phod diya IIFT....

sad that they have given up with essay writing......ppl with flair in writing will have to face more brunt....
Hi Friends,
had IIFT GD/PI today morning at IIFT Kolkata.....The good news is that IIFT has decided to do away with Essay Writing 😃 .
Well the GD Topic was : Investment Patterns are changing for the Indian Middle Class.

Pretty well organised GD. Group of 11-12 people. Everyone allowed to speak on the topic at first for roughly 2 mins then the topic was open for discussion and in the meantime everyone was asked to moderate the discussion for 1 minute or 2 mins roughly.

One suggestion for IIFT GD: You can take stands and in fact you should take stands in favour or against. You will be assessed for your conviction as per them and it is better to have a conviction than to look at both Pros and Cons(Don't hit me!!! This is what they told at the start)

Moderator can do the following things as per IIFT Moderators:
1. Can give valuable insights and ask the group to proceed
2. If group is digressing then bring it on track
3. If too much of discussion on same points can add fresh ideas and ask to discuss on those.
4. If someone is trying to speak but failing to do so, then the moderator can make that person speak and ask the group to listen.

Now about the PI, a panel of 3 people 1 South Indian Professor (SI), 1 little aged (OM) one young guy (YP) and myself(Me).

I have 49 months of experience in IT industry.

Me: (enter the room and wish them)
SI: Have your seat.
Me: Thanked him (:-) )
SI: You have 4+ yrs of experience. At IIFT avg experience is 3 yrs don't you think you will feel Uncomfirtable to study and intermix with them?
Me: (Kya yaar Main Hoon naa ka SRK samjh liye tumne to) Blah blah...explained why experience has positives over freshers. Why 4 yrs have advantages for me..explained my objective indirectly to
do MBA.
SI: Indian IT industry is diluting hierarchy in an Organisation. Comment
Me: Spoke abt teamwork concept. Explained in IT hierarchy still exists but the only difference is that in IT , managers stands with us and helps to achieve a goal rather than standing in front of everyone and directing towards the goal.blah blah...
SI: How many countries are there in European Union?
Me: I don'tknow Sir. (:-(( )
SI: How is the role of IT changing?
Me: (thanK god had just read an article on company's website TCS.COM) explained the same.
SI: Over to you (OM)
OM: How come you a bengali still cannot write the language?
Me: Started my schooling started in Patna and have been KV student....interrupted
OM: Okay okay that explains.
OM: You must have lot of accomplishments and achievements. state something when you failed to achieve your target.
Me: Gave one worklife example.
OM: Were you admonished by your superiors?
Me: Certainly
OM:DDid you feel like bashing him up? Don't tell me I took it positively and learnt from that?
Me: (Budhhe Pagal ho raha hain kya!!! marne ka man to karta hain par bolunga thorey hi 😃 )
Sir, I was too young to think of bashing up( Luckily the incident happenned at that time when I was a fresher)
OM and SI: started laughing looking at each other
YP: You said you want to work in strategic layer of an Organisation. How many layers do you feel are there in IT?
Me: 3 layers - Operational, Tactical and Strategic
YP: Which layer are you in?
Me: Operational
YP: Give me one example to show the difference in thinking in Operational and Strategic layer?
Me: Operational layer- we think from Project point of view. Only one client centric approach.
Strategic layer - we think from Organisation point of view. Customer focus, Relationship building are the main thrust areas.
YP: that's all.. you may leave now.
Me: Thank you Sir.(was abt to leave)
OM: wait. If you get IIFT delhi and Kolkata which one would you choose?
Me: Delhi
OM: Why?
Me: Blah blah ..spoke on Residential facility that aids in networking with the batchmates.
OM: You born on 19th Nov.Anything special on that day?
Me: Indiara gandhi Born on the same day
OM; (Smiles)...any other thing?you should know some one else born on the same day ..you read books right?
Me;(remember..I had read Jack Welch Book and mentioned that on the form) Sir , Jack welch also born on the same day.
OM: Good.You can go now.
Me:( Whew!! what was that one tells to elave one stops and starts asking ques) Thanks and Have a good day Sir.

So that was it I guess it lasted 15-20 mins max....

Hope it is of some help to you.

Souvick

WELL done dude....

phod diya IIFT....

sad that they have given up with essay writing......ppl with flair in writing will have to face more brunt....
gourav_1 Says
dude your South Indian professor is the center head of IIFT-Kolkata

;-):-)..that explains the grin on his face when I said given a chance I would prefer Delhi campus.....

btw..thanks Gaurav for the clarifying sessions in the morning by you and your frnds...

Souvick
Reserve Bank of India

The link is that of RBI. I found it pretty useful for data on trade and other policies.
gourav_1 Says

:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:
Hi Friends,
Well the GD Topic was : Investment Patterns are changing for the Indian Middle Class.

Pretty well organised GD. Group of 11-12 people. Everyone allowed to speak on the topic at first for roughly 2 mins then the topic was open for discussion and in the meantime everyone was asked to moderate the discussion for 1 minute or 2 mins roughly.

One suggestion for IIFT GD: You can take stands and in fact you should take stands in favour or against. You will be assessed for your conviction as per them and it is better to have a conviction than to look at both Pros and Cons(Don't hit me!!! This is what they told at the start)

3. If too much of discussion on same points can add fresh ideas and ask to discuss on those.
4. If someone is trying to speak but failing to do so, then the moderator can make that person speak and ask the group to listen.

Now about the PI, a panel of 3 people 1 South Indian Professor (SI), 1 little aged (OM) one young guy (YP) and myself(Me).

SI: You have 4+ yrs of experience. At IIFT avg experience is 3 yrs don't you think you will feel Uncomfirtable to study and intermix with them?
Me: (Kya yaar Main Hoon naa ka SRK samjh liye tumne to) Blah blah...explained why experience has positives over freshers. Why 4 yrs have advantages for me..explained my objective indirectly to
do MBA.
Me: Spoke abt teamwork concept. Explained in IT hierarchy still exists but the only difference is that in IT , managers stands with us and helps to achieve a goal rather than standing in front of everyone and directing towards the goal.blah blah...
Me: (thanK god had just read an article on company's website TCS.COM) explained the same.
Me: Started my schooling started in Patna and have been KV student....interrupted
OM: You must have lot of accomplishments and achievements. state something when you failed to achieve your target.
OM:DDid you feel like bashing him up? Don't tell me I took it positively and learnt from that?
Me: (Budhhe Pagal ho raha hain kya!!! marne ka man to karta hain par bolunga thorey hi 😃 )
Sir, I was too young to think of bashing up( Luckily the incident happenned at that time when I was a fresher)
YP: You said you want to work in strategic layer of an Organisation. How many layers do you feel are there in IT?
YP: Give me one example to show the difference in thinking in Operational and Strategic layer?
Me: Operational layer- we think from Project point of view. Only one client centric approach.
Strategic layer - we think from Organisation point of view. Customer focus, Relationship building are the main thrust areas.
Me: Blah blah ..spoke on Residential facility that aids in networking with the batchmates.
OM; (Smiles)...any other thing?you should know some one else born on the same day ..you read books right?
Me;(remember..I had read Jack Welch Book and mentioned that on the form) Sir , Jack welch also born on the same day.
Me:( Whew!! what was that one tells to elave one stops and starts asking ques) Thanks and Have a good day Sir.

Souvick

Hi Friends,

Good Interview 😃

And about taking stands in the GD.. Last year also there were some groups in which the instructions were given to take a stand.. if not I feel its OK to give both pros and cons.. but yes in that case too reach a conclusion !!

Hi Friends,

do MBA.

Souvick