I need a Mentor / Coach for my GMAT prep

7 Posts  ·  9 Users
About this group
Hello Friends, My name is Vishal and I am preparing to take the GMAT on 2nd June, 2012 - Before the Integrated reasoning sections comes in. So basically I have three months to prepare. Background - I am from India and I did my Undergra...
Page 1 of 1

I am starting my preparation today and plan to give the new GMAT format test in June end. I am very new to this forum and would be glad if someone would help me stratagise the prep.

Thanks
Aquarian

Vishal, I can understand your skepticism and also the need for help. Not sure if I fit the bill of a mentor, but I would definitely be able to help you formulate strategies and work with you on your weak areas.
Give me a buzz and I will do as much as I can to make sure you reach that 700+ mark.

PM for my contact details.

Cheers & ATB
Saurav
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

You won't believe this, just a few days back, I was sick and tired of preparing so I was just going through questions on PG, and I saw that you had posted answers to so many of the questions. I especially paid some attention to the probability questions and your answers to them. I'm sure you have it in you to ace it! When are you giving GMAT??

When I went to the exam hall, I was a little nervous, but concentrating all my energy in the writing section helped me calm down. By the time I got started on Quant, I was able to treat it as just another Mock GMAT! My advice to people yet to take the exam is this: When you are attempting the essays, concentrate just on that. You have just 30 minutes to prove to a human and a robot that you can think logically. Make use of every minute! And believe me, your nervousness will be gone by the time you start the Quant.

I did a GMATPrep test on day zero before I began any prep - got 710 (don't remember individual score). Took the Manhattan GMAT 6 test package (I highly recommend this to anyone still trying to decide which to go for). Here are my test scores (Quant, Verbal, Overall)

MGMAT 1 : 49,36,700
MGMAT 2 : 50,42,750
MGMAT 3 : 48,36,690
MGMAT 4 : 51,45,780
MGMAT 5 : 51,39,730
MGMAT 6 : 50,45,770

MGMAT4 - I felt even during the exam that it was easier than usual, I didn't really consider my score of 780 as a true projection.

Wanted to give the second GMATPrep test as my last mock test, but somehow I didn't have time and I was left with just the day before the exam to give it. I decided not to do it as I didn't want to be too worried during the exam if the score wasn't good. I think for me it was a good decision and without that I would not have been able to do my Quant and Verbal sections like just another mock test.

Let me know if I can help in any way!

All the best, go for it! 😃

Guys!

Gave my GMAT just today. Scored 740 (Q50, V40). Quite happy with the way things have worked out. I noticed that there hasn't been any activity in this thread for over a month and I'm guessing you guys have probably moved to some other thread, but on the off chance that that's not the case, thought I'll put in my 2 cents worth :)

@Procrastinating: That's a great score for day zero. Did you give the entire test? I suggest you make a note of the areas you tend to make the most mistakes in while reviewing your answers (ALWAYS review your answers for any test, that's the best way to ensure you improve), and then prioritize the areas you need to focus on based on the list you come up with. I was in the same boat - I felt verbal was my strong suit so I concentrated more on Quant at first, but GMAT Verbal is pretty challenging, so I suggest you balance the prep of both sections right from the beginning. You can always PM me if you need anything further.

@Vishal: Hope your prep is going well. Hopefully, third time lucky, as they say! I know how important encouragement can be from people who know what the preparation phase is like, so feel free to drop me a PM if you ever need any assistance.

Cheers!

Hey congrats dude! How was it? Also what were your mock test results!

Congrats again,your score is stunning!:) i cant imagine in my dream to have score like yours but i wish so badly to get such a score
ISBCo2014 spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkGkc0yWHIvAdE9DZ2UwbDB4TlIxZkpnZnZITUpEemc

Guys!

Gave my GMAT just today. Scored 740 (Q50, V40). Quite happy with the way things have worked out. I noticed that there hasn't been any activity in this thread for over a month and I'm guessing you guys have probably moved to some other thread, but on the off chance that that's not the case, thought I'll put in my 2 cents worth :)

@Procrastinating: That's a great score for day zero. Did you give the entire test? I suggest you make a note of the areas you tend to make the most mistakes in while reviewing your answers (ALWAYS review your answers for any test, that's the best way to ensure you improve), and then prioritize the areas you need to focus on based on the list you come up with. I was in the same boat - I felt verbal was my strong suit so I concentrated more on Quant at first, but GMAT Verbal is pretty challenging, so I suggest you balance the prep of both sections right from the beginning. You can always PM me if you need anything further.

@Vishal: Hope your prep is going well. Hopefully, third time lucky, as they say! I know how important encouragement can be from people who know what the preparation phase is like, so feel free to drop me a PM if you ever need any assistance.

Cheers!

hi guys,

I took practice test 1 of GMAT Prep software downloaded from MBA.com.
Attempted quants section, got 8 wrong out of 37, normalised score of 49. Didn't attempt anything else.

This is day zero for me, no preparation at all, plus i am weak in quant. Request a feedback on how have i done and what my score out of 400 could be in quants.

Also, please advise prep areas for all sections.
Shall attempt english (my strength) and keep ya posted.

Thanks in advance!

- I am intelligent guy but am low on confidence after my previous GMAT debacles.
- I need to make a study plan and I need some help planning.
- I need some one who can guide me through this process, share their learning strategies, push me.
Please let me know if you can be my guide.

Vishal, I can understand your skepticism and also the need for help. Not sure if I fit the bill of a mentor, but I would definitely be able to help you formulate strategies and work with you on your weak areas.
Give me a buzz and I will do as much as I can to make sure you reach that 700+ mark.

PM for my contact details.

Cheers & ATB
Saurav

Hello Friends,

My name is Vishal and I am preparing to take the GMAT on 2nd June, 2012 - Before the Integrated reasoning sections comes in. So basically I have three months to prepare.

Background - I am from India and I did my Undergrad in Hotel Management from Australia in 2001. I have over 12 years of work experience and I have lived and worked in 4 countries ( Aus, USA, St. Kitts and India). Presently I live in DC, USA. I have given GMAT twice in 2006 and 2010 - scored pretty bad - 530. I was working full time and never took it seriously.

Present - This is my last try for the GMAT as I will be turning 34 soon and I am transferring to a new role to Dubai in September and I want to give my best shot so that I can get a 700+ score. With my experience and a good GMAT score I think I am very strong candidate for any B school for the class starting in 2013. I am targeting mostly International schools like INSEAD, IMD, LBS and ISB. Depending on the score I may target some US schools too.

To help me with the preparation I have joined Kaplan in Class room course - Last week was my first class. I am studying 1.5 hrs every day (full time working) and 10 hrs on weekends. I have all the material - MGMAT 8 guides, OG 12, Kaplan

Here is what I need some help with -

- I am intelligent guy but am low on confidence after my previous GMAT debacles.
- I need to make a study plan and I need some help planning.
- I need some one who can guide me through this process, share their learning strategies, push me.

I am sorry guys I sound pretty pathetic in this mail but I am also a successful Leadership Coach and I know Coaching helps so I am asking for some one to be my Mentor for 3 months. I don't need to be baby sit but to some one I can talk to and clear my doubts.

Please let me know if you can be my guide.

Thanks

Vishal