i am helping my father in his business for the past 4 yrs. Is this not an experience

9 Posts  ·  78 Users
About this group
hello, I am in my final year of B. com and i will give my cat on nov. 19,2006. I have been helping my father in his "Printing" business for the past 4 yrs.. I would like to know if this experience will be counted by mba institutes during admission.
Page 1 of 1
i can't give a salary slip because it is a small family business.
but i can satisfy them if they ask any questions about it.
I would also like to know what type of experience the mba institutes give more weightage to.
I would be glad if any one could give me a guide to different weightage given to different work experience.

Dear Praveen,

Most B-schools give weigtage, or even consider only work experience at a managerial level. In family business terms, that would mean taking important decisions for the business and managing it. As already mentioned, u cant have a work experience certificate as urs is a small family business and I assume it is not registered. If it is, I guess ur father can help. One of my friend's father has a partnership firm in the medical industry and he got an experiece certificate from his dad stating him as a 'working partner'. He consequently got admission in a reputed UK university where work experience is compulsory.

Remeber, whe it comes to interviews, all that matters is how you put it across. You will have to convince them that you, at your age are mature for the industry.

All the best
regards
KK
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
I would also like to know what type of experience the mba institutes give more weightage to.
I would be glad if any one could give me a guide to different weightage given to different work experience.

Proof is the most important thing buddy as the persons who will b interviewing u will b thoroughly professionals.Also,a full work ex is a must,otherwise it does not get any importance.
Weightage on work ex varies frm 1 b-school 2 another.

hello,
I am in my final year of B. com and i will give my cat on nov. 19,2006. I have been helping my father in his "Printing" business for the past 4 yrs.. I would like to know if this experience will be counted by mba institutes during admission.

It completely depends on the panel members n ur convincing power whether ur work will b counted or not.Well,as far as I know,if u can produce a salary slip,there is every possibility that ur work-ex will get counted.

dude, dont feel offended, but seriously... i was involved with something similar, but the panel was least interested... some of them even thought i was bluffing - without even asking me questions on what i did...

lol... at my SPJIMR interview, lost the whole oppurtunity cuz the guy told me that if i was workin with him, i might as well do the FMB programme and not pursue the regular prog, he was least bothered by the reasons i gave him... so i'd say, be prepared for e'thin...

BTW, my FORE interview it paid off, i was able to show them my need to do an MBA and explained what it was that i was doin, they were happy and it finally led to my admit...

well, all said and done... u're the one who has to take the final decision...

BTW, there's a similar thread called business workex or somethin, check it out...

HTH,

SAM

what do you mean by impress.
will i have an edge over others with no experience.
will they cheque my experience in the interview and if they do and if i satisfy them, will they not consider my experience.

by impress i mean you can talk about your work ex, how you solved business problems, how you have a grasp of the industry at such a young age, your leadership experience, etc etc. Those things wil work in your favour by giving the adcoms a more favourable opinion of you. Basically, a good mental image and subjective impression will be formed, but officially, they wont consider you as an expereicned candidate on paper.

what do you mean by impress.
will i have an edge over others with no experience.
will they cheque my experience in the interview and if they do and if i satisfy them, will they not consider my experience.

officially, NO, it wont be cnsidered in the admission procedure. only full time, post qualification work experience is considered. You can mention it in your resume and talk about it and impress adcoms during interview stage though.

hello,
I am in my final year of B. com and i will give my cat on nov. 19,2006. I have been helping my father in his "Printing" business for the past 4 yrs.. I would like to know if this experience will be counted by mba institutes during admission.