How to Read newspapers, magazines and develop Vocab (Complete guide for developing vo

17 Posts  ·  13 Users
About this group
Hello, This is Shalin Jain. I want to appear for CAT 2007 and i am presently in Second Year of B.Com, so cannot go for CAt 2006. As all of us very well know that vocab is an important part of CAT examination, ultimately it also becomes very impo...
Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I am Shahnaz.
I dont like reading paper and so my reading speed is not that good.
any suggestions how to inculcate this habit....teh story is quite different with story books and filmy stuff....!!!
trying to wake up!

@Shahnaz,.

Well initially, even i had this problem. It will be boring. Read the editorial a lot. This helps!
Only way to improve eng is to READ READ READ READ .....

All the best!
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
Hi,

I am Shahnaz.
I dont like reading paper and so my reading speed is not that good.
any suggestions how to inculcate this habit....teh story is quite different with story books and filmy stuff....!!!
trying to wake up!
lcg
@lcg  ·  0 karma
i believe u should start wid the topic that interset u d most and den start reading material on it. take for example the cricket. u cn den read may be the sports page of the newspaper.
dats anywaz going to help u in rcs.
Hi all,

i have gone through all the post and everybody has given meaningful suggestions.I would just like to add few effective ways of improving and reading.
The whole idea of readin newspapers etc helps in vocabulary,reading and improving general knowledge.
1. try reading the editorial page and other articles from the magazines loud and understand it completely.after reading just right in one line the theme of the passage.That helps tremendously in understanding various genre of topics.
2. Including of all the other ways of learning words, you can also try to understand the usage of a particular word in the given context.That really helps you to understand the meaning of word and its contribution in that sentence which is important.Then you will find that same word in 2 different context is used completely differently.So, the confusion arises regarding the usage of the word in our language.The best way to avoid this is read and read effectively focusing on every word and language and usage.

I think u r right Brishti. In this way, we can learn the vocab with usages as well as synonyms.

Regards
www.sarkarilife.com - Tons of resources to help you crack Government Bank Exams

Hi all,

i have gone through all the post and everybody has given meaningful suggestions.I would just like to add few effective ways of improving and reading.
The whole idea of readin newspapers etc helps in vocabulary,reading and improving general knowledge.
1. try reading the editorial page and other articles from the magazines loud and understand it completely.after reading just right in one line the theme of the passage.That helps tremendously in understanding various genre of topics.
2. Including of all the other ways of learning words, you can also try to understand the usage of a particular word in the given context.That really helps you to understand the meaning of word and its contribution in that sentence which is important.Then you will find that same word in 2 different context is used completely differently.So, the confusion arises regarding the usage of the word in our language.The best way to avoid this is read and read effectively focusing on every word and language and usage.

Hey.....

Hmmmm....almost anything...eco realted articles, philosophy, something related to history etc......
Basically, If you come accross an interesting article, i think you should post it here....
Whatssaayy??

Cheers,
Vini...

Hi zepplica...
What kind of sites, articles are you looking for ? What are your interests? What do you like to read?

That will help others give you a suggestion.

hey.....

I completely agree with you @java, the only way to learn and remember new words would be to make it a part of your vocab...:satisfie:
This may be a slight deviation frm the topic,but it would be great if someone could suggest some 'worthwhile' articles /sites .......

Cheers,
Vini

I practise it sometimes but not very often and it does work !

If you want to improve your vocabulary you need to talk in that language. I personally believe using slang doesnt help in anyway atleast on for instance: forums because thats where you communicate with people and give your ideas and opinions. Consider forums as a teaching class. Picture this: Whenever you visit a topic in a forum you first open that topic, read what people have to say, comprehend it and then you reply accordingly. In this time you might have encountered new words and when that happens simply look up dictionary.com and try using those new words or synonyms in your own sentences. It will not only help you in learning a new word but also practise using that word.

Personally, whenever I encouter a new word I try to understand it from its context or look up dictionary, etc. but then what happens is I tend to forget that very word and only remember it when I read it again.

So most important thing is try using the word that you have learnt.

It helps :satisfie:

while reading..if you come across a new word..either refer a lexicon then and there..otherwise get a vague idea of the word from the context..mark it and continue reading ( in case you are practicing spead reading..you shudn't stop in middle to refer a lexicon...)..but don't mug....Mugging is no help man...

see man..thats enough gyaan..now practice....follow what suit you...first have a suitable vocab base..then do as you like..

But if u don't understand this word, then there's no point in continuing bcoz sometimes, one word holds the key to the complete comprehension.