How to make the selection criteria of IIMs A,B,I,K more sensible?

27 Posts  ·  13 Users
About this group
*The CAT is over for many candidates and the others would also be finishing it by Nov,6. The main goal for all the candidates is to get calls from top colleges. But as we have seen, some of the IIMs (Mainly A,B,I,K) have resorted to ridiculous cri...
Page 1 of 3
@imcoolrvid said:

Bro.. We cannot change anything & in fact we need not.. Each & every IIM has their criterion designed depending on their need.. If not X, there will be Y college .. & if not Y, there will be Z college for us.. The only thing we can do & we should do is.. stop worrying about all these criterion & start preparing well & score as high as we can in whatever exam we attend.. (CAT/XAT/IIFT/SNAP/GMAT/CAMT/NMAT...)
Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts !! 
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Bottomline21 work exp matters in spj ( >3 years preferred)
Lost in oblivion, I found freedom, losing all hope is freedom ...................CAT '13: 93.1%ile , calls - applied nowhere.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@shashankg13 The marks/percentages most of the people obtain also stand as the proofs that they are good at the actual subject too -well in most cases. You can check with the actual sources also - in many cases the students who get into IITs, NITs or any other prestigious colleges also have their board scores equally good (so its not just rote). I am not saying they are the brightest of the minds or whatever but when some one narrowly points something just because he has read that doesn't always send a positive vibe. I am not asking you to appreciate this (this is anyway a no-big-deal topic in A.P) but any sense of depreciation would be also not seem proper I believe. Rest I leave it to you.
CAT'12 Calls: I and R,R,R,T,U,K, FMS, NITIE Converted IIM Indore 2013-15
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@shashankg13 I don't know if I will be sounding rude but take me to Nagaland, I can still pass the board with flying colors (or in this case more than 80% - if that is even a big deal). See you are not from A.P neither from Nagaland. So you really can't comment without knowing what's actually happening (though your statistics are right) It is the fraudulent authorities which are the reason for such huge mammoth scores. Private schools rule over the land. They own the exam centres, even evaluation centres and hence the marks - Hence a person can get 90 marks in English under any of the two conditions - He genuinely knows the subject / He writes lyrics from some not-so-popular-english-rap song (or even in this case a telugu song in english) See that's the reason. But the undeserved ones are anyway later filtered.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@missionCAT13 said:
@deepu sir, I think this discussion is going no where, IIM officials are not going to read this and change their criteria.I'd request you to close this thread.
I SECOND YOU:)
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@deepu sir, I think this discussion is going no where,
IIM officials are not going to read this and change their criteria.
I'd request you to close this thread. :)
NIA Pune 2014-16
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Pratiyush I don't know how or why you've formed that stereotype, but let me tell you this - Most people get 90s in A.P because they slog and slog for days and nights and hence the result. And secondly it seems like everyone is getting the 90s because in A.P it is the students who get 90s are the ones who go after IITs and IIMs. Because getting a 80 is also considered nothing - Now its not because someone distributes like Santa - Its because the system adopted by the board itself is flawed. We can expect the entire paper based on past papers and yes you can sure as hell get at least 90% of that. But almost 80% of the guys who get 90%s here deserve them (or in your words same as those who get the cream in other boards.)
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

GUys is it really about low grade colleges... vs IIT /NIT college... I think it would not be wrong to say even deserving puys from a not IIT or non NIT colleges is ditched bcs of this IIM so called selection criteria...

And it will be utter insane to say that that particular person being from reputated college (say IIT/ NIT) being excellent in extra carricular... butnot having 80 or 80+ is left out... and whereas people with low profile college... get through ( since that person has got 80+) i...

by saying it would be an utter dissrespect to IIM selection panel.. They chose the best out of the lot... rather referring "low grade colleges" I think the person who have started this thread have just shown the inmaturity( no offence brother)

the real issue is the selection criteria...
Even i can say that good companies... visit IIT or NIT just bcs of the name they hold...

they dont even consider... other " so called low grade collegeS" wher they might get better programmar... or maybe an better engineer...

Brothers.. even i can lament on that and keep on going.. That people from IIT or NIT have unfare advantage... over other good colleges.. whom the author are refeering as low grade colleges...

And just to tell you .. A lot of people from IIT or NIT get thru it even after this selection criteria... so its better not to cry.. here.. instead... to be more practical and little adjustable with the system... 😃 thats an sincere advice... Bcs I being from one of these low grade collegs.. have been saying this to me since the time whn i narrowly missed clearing JEE.. and landed in my college.. and wht i hav to face is the bias that companies shows towards IIT/NIT vs other colleges...

( i dont want to start any argument what all i can say is there are lot of souls who can flood pagalguy thread bcs they have faced some simmilar problem... even being in NON govt college... with exceptional profile but no so good marks) referring to the real problem is the key...

Hope you take me in right way :))

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@imcoolrvid we can make a point by using that document & may file a PIL in Court
Pk
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
@Pratiyush This COBSE PDF is a fantastic document. Just proves that the 80/80/80 criteria is really flawed. Now if the variation in scoring across different boards is as big as the river Amazon, then the variation in scoring across different universities will be as big as the Pacific Ocean.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...