How good is MBA for people with Family Business??

22 Posts  ·  17 Users
About this group
Hi All.. Wanted to start this thread coz I am in a dilemma.... Now that I have botched up my dreams of going into IIMs... I Am thinking about applying for SPJAIN family business Management course...I have a family business of Food products ...
Page 1 of 3

hey...if nebody from current batch or ne senior has ne info abt mba in family business from narsee minjee then plz share ur knowledge on... http://www.pagalguy.com/forum/other-...-business.html (NMIMS MBA in Family Business)we ppl need some serious info abt it...nebody got ne contact no. of ne student who is actually pursuing this course at NM then it'll be great..please msg me any contact detail...thx

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

hey guys...all those interested in narsee monjee family business PGDBM...please follow this thread and thr we can discuss abt it...

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/nmims-mba-in-family-business-25015551

hey i wan some insight regarding narsee monjee family business management

hi ..

i m sandeep here ...

please provide insight(s) .

hi sandeep...

you could call up SPJain and talk to prof. Parimal Merchant who handles admissions.

all the best...

hi ..

i m sandeep here and have family business and is keen to join back my business .
i already have a two year long experience in my business . Ours is a decent medium scale business i.e roller flour milling(wheat) unit and we have customers like parle biscuits , britannia , harvest gold , priyagold , anmol biscuits n all .

i m basically looking for an mba and is confused on which institute n which course to join . i have done b com in graduation n have got 80 %ile last year in cat . Cudnt get in any decent b school . m lookin to do an mba dis year. no matter from where n which course(fbm or general ) .kindly provide insight regarding courses n options .

Hello guyz... looks like you are all pretty confused... i am not sure if you have done it already... but still i am just putting in a word...

I have a few friends in SPJain... if you want to know something abt the fmb program there i can ask them to find out the prof in charge of it and give you his contact details... i heard that they wud also put u in touch with the students of the fmb program, in case u want to talk to them...

so just reply back if u guys want me to proceed further on this...

I have come to know abt narsee monjee's family business management pgdbm . some one have told me that they teach u at par with regular students n all d classes n case studies are same but the only differnce is that the guys of fbm dont get placements .

please provide insight(s) .

Hello guyz... looks like you are all pretty confused... i am not sure if you have done it already... but still i am just putting in a word...

I have a few friends in SPJain... if you want to know something abt the fmb program there i can ask them to find out the prof in charge of it and give you his contact details... i heard that they wud also put u in touch with the students of the fmb program, in case u want to talk to them...

so just reply back if u guys want me to proceed further on this...

For working professionals

Friday, June 24, 2005

Working Professionals need an edge!!!!

This is purely for working professionals who have been toiling hard at their work place and still unable to climb up the corporate ladder. This program is for all working professionals who want to add value to their experience and academic qualifications, which helps to grow

Distance MBA ,MCA and CFA are some of the solutions for the above problems...and now the question arises from which institute??? Lot of universities and Colleges in India provide distance education , but they have their own limitations..

Advantages Of studying At ICFAI

1.We provide quality education , quality study material( our cases are being used in London school of business , university of cambridge, university of Michigan,stanford busimess school and many more european colleges.....)

2.We are one of the largest provider of cases to ECCH (ECCH stands for European Case Clearing House---which is the largest provider of cases in the entire world)

3.We have very wide network all over the country.If in any case you get transferred during the study or might have gone on job work during exams you will have the provision of writing the exams there at your place(provided there should be ICFAI centre,There are nearly 140 centres all over the country)

4.Placement Scheme-Sal--Rs20000 after the completion of the Course.

5.E-Learning package,Case Study Focus,Training Classes

6.Web support on 24X7 basis

7.Examinations 4 times a year at over 100 Test Centers

8.Educational Loans

We have many more courses for MBA graduates and other professionals. To name a few

1.CIIA- Certified International Investment Analyst
2.MS-finanace
3.MS Banking
4.CFA-Certified Financial Analyst
etc etc...,

For list of courses..visit or click www.korses.blogspot.com

anyone who is interested in pursuing distance education (in MBA,MCA,CFA,MS-Finance,MS-Banking) can email me to
Santhosh Kumar.
My contact Number--
Hi

I wanna need some help............

I wanna give cat 2005 and have a querry......i wanna know if i show my family business experience will it be considered...........

since I have completed my engg this year and plan to do mba.....it would be grt if I can show work ex without workin or........i hv to work .......or i have to tell thm i didnt do nything.......
which is the better option ( considering if i do work may mess with my cat score.........though i hope not to do tht and also considering tht...........its not """im or nothing """" for me and i may go to any decent institute).

PLz help frnds.....

hey guys, a gr8 thread. nice to see so many ppl having the same confusion. well even i m confused abt wht next should i do in life. i have the following pts in mind... and based on it, i have to take a decision

1. I want to finally do business. the confusion is whether i should take it up rt now or after an MBA.

2. I m not of the kind who lick ppl's asses for promotion n stuff... not the guy who is good at corporate politics.

3. I got 98% in CAT n have a final admit in NITIE. donno whether i will b able to repeat this performance in future. well, if i join business, wont get time 2 study also.

Also i am just wanting to know whether a MBA would be a value addition for doing business. and that too from NITIE, which will be more systems oriented. by the way, our family business is not too big, just a retail showroom... i wish to expand it... n get into exports n stuff.

also would like to have suggestions as to wht courses i can do that will help me in expanding my business. heard abt distance learning courses by NMIMS, a part time export course at IIFT. any other courses tht would b of help.

as for todays status, i m not too keen to join NITIE, would prefer to get into business.

hi..
reading about your dilemma and the subsequent suggestions that followed make interesting reading..
well i was in more or less the same dilemma a month back ..
i too have a family businesss like you ..though we aremore into retailing of garage tools and service station equipment in bangalore.. with a branch in mangalore..
so far the business has been run for about 30 years with my dad and my uncle in partenrship.. but we do have employee turnover problem as well as a very large inventory control problem.. apart from prbably a fewq other i havent been able to notice yet..
my dad at the moment is in usa, and we had a sort of mishap at the office where we lost foru of our most trustd employees in one swoop...
well the point being we are highly understaffede ..but that also means i get a lot to learnabout managament..
if i was thiniking of keeping the business as it is.. to learn the business skill my dad has aquried over the years .. only through experience, then that would take me about 4 - 5 or more years to get anywehre near all the ideas just brimming from his head..
basically an mba should give people like us moreor less a birds eye view of any situation.. to see things we moight be missing now.. its two years .. but it sort of help you understand most of what you are going to find in the field one day or the other... and basically equip you to handle those things better with a more "educated" view..
Regarding specifically to the sp jain course .. well i personally found it a little too practical..
i mean if i had to spend a certain amount with admission and tuiton and all.. i aloso have to spend more on travel to and fro bombay once a month.. and cnsider my stay prospects if i dont get hostel accom.. and take a weeks learning to implement in my business.. travel time from bombay to bangalroe by bus or train takes about a day.. and even then for small business operations it works out to a pretty large amount at the end of two years.. they dont even allow you to work in the same industry .. while its good that it would mean you;d get to know you business better.. , the other hand working under someone else withing bombay or around maharastra will give you more efficiency at the college..
i guess thats why i preferred a in house residential college.. joined scmhrd.. i dont know if the course is out oof this world .. but i did speak to a few students from the same course and it seems to have equipped them with enought skills to atleast read between the lines and look at aproblem from all possible angles and consider cause and effect.. plus an mba might give you insights into new possiblities and new metthods of sing technology to guide your business to smoothen wrinkles and basically inc efficiency..

i too am off the same opinion that once you get into your family business its going to be very difficult to get out in two years to do an mba and comeback..
its like the mafia.. or like the line in "hotel california" .. you can check out ..but you can never leave..
what of all those contacts ..those relationship you have built for the many years you were there.. and plus if you're going to be more and more involved..there'd be a lot more responsibility on your shoulders.. and subsequently letting all those go would be very tough..
so think about it.. consult with your bro whether he thinks he can handle thing for your mba years.. so you can get back with him..
well i gotto go ..
its work time..
see you soon
best of luck .