How good is 4.5 years of Work Experience to get into IIMs.

29 Posts  ·  28 Users
About this group
Hi Guys, I need info regarding the weightage of Work-ex in getting into the IIMs. I have around 4.5 yrs of work-ex and I am really wondering how good or bad this much experience wud be if I plan to apply only for the IIMs :: : :: : And...
Page 1 of 3

I have 4 years work ex now and I am planning to write CAT 2006 hoping to get into one of most revered MBA institues of India (IIM ABC). I am working in L&T; as Assistant project Manager for world's Longest Belt Conveyor which is being built between Meghalaya and Bangladesh for which Lafarge cement is the client. My responsibilities include Planning & Scheduling the project, it's regular updation, Material follow up, Letter of credit management, keeping track of Export formalities of the materials and of course the financial part of this 142 crs project. I had visited Lafarge France twice for projecting progress updates to the client and it's shareholders.

I have told a bit detail about my work ex because I am not able to make out how good is this exp in view of admission at IIMs and placement thereafter. Let me also tell you that I am also the selected few top talents of the company. Abot my acads - I am BE from NIT Jamshedpur (76 %) and M.Tech from IIT Madras(7.5).
Please thro some light whether I can crack IIM with this profile and fetch a v.good job after that? I would be delighetd if some of you can guide me that what kind of Industries may be interested to take me at higher position. I am very keen to join MBA course.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

dude, why dont u try fr the executive program offered by the IIMs . i think tht wud add more value. again their are a no of people with more than 5 yrs of work here. whts important is not the tenure of work-ex, but the quality of work-ex. so if u can show them tht u hv done a gud job on the work, there wud not be much hesitation in admitting u.

Hi Friends,

I thought this is a right thread to put forth my dilemma, I have around 5 years of work exp, mostly as a team member and recently last 2 years as a module leader (about 4-5 people working under me). I need a change of direction in my career and would like to get into business development.

Now, I have spoken about this to my company and pretty soon I will be a part of the technical marketing team. But, I still feel having an MBA degree will give me an edge and i'm looking at a 1 year course exclusively.

So do you people think that 5 yrs of coding exp and a couple of years of technical marketing exp would be quite useful. Of course in getting into marketing, I'll be a novice and will probably start from scrath and will loose out leading a bigger team, but then it is something that i'm interested in getting into.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

-Rama.

All the value you get depends on the quality of your experience. if you feel that 2 yrs of tech marketing exp. will increase the knowledge that you gain from an mba then go for it.
on the other hand, if you go to any iim, you will lose the advantage of 5 yrs workex and will have to start from scratch.
so weigh the pros and cons of waiting another couple of years.

my advice, take a global tech marketing assignment, work 2 yrs and then apply to us b-schools.
1 like

Hi Friends,

I thought this is a right thread to put forth my dilemma, I have around 5 years of work exp, mostly as a team member and recently last 2 years as a module leader (about 4-5 people working under me). I need a change of direction in my career and would like to get into business development.

Now, I have spoken about this to my company and pretty soon I will be a part of the technical marketing team. But, I still feel having an MBA degree will give me an edge and i'm looking at a 1 year course exclusively.

So do you people think that 5 yrs of coding exp and a couple of years of technical marketing exp would be quite useful. Of course in getting into marketing, I'll be a novice and will probably start from scrath and will loose out leading a bigger team, but then it is something that i'm interested in getting into.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,

-Rama.

Thanx a lot guys..U made my TEMPO high.. 😁

rashita

Rashita,

Nice to know about your enthusiasm after 4 yrs of work ex. Any how i am also working since last 4 years in a Tata concern as engineer. But its manufacturing industry.
Me too in the same boat. We will make it to IIMs this year.Hope you have already started on row.We can discuss further on this thread .OK All the best.

Enjoy:grab:
Hi buddies!!

regarding work ex:
1. does workex in an automobile company(Maruti, in which i have to join soon) as a GET(Graduate Engineer Trainee) counts in PI?

2.almost everyone i have read in this forum is from IT sector..so is there nybdy who cracked CAT after working in a manufacturing company? :

3. do u really get time for preps. after spending 8-9 hrs on shopfloor...huh?

??????

hi gs

1. GET => full time work rite?.... then it definitely counts, its proper work ex....

2. im presently workin @ reliance inf - almost 2 yrs..... AND i started as a GET....
cant say i cracked considerin i missed A/B, but got C ... so not 2 bad either :wink:

3. its really upto u.... make time for the important things....
i spent around 10-12 hrs @ work ...... plus around 3-4 hrs of travellin.....
so make time n also if the job time becomes 2 much, decide on ur priorities and work accordingly....

ATB

chris

thanks sanju,
that was really of great help......

personally i am not thinking about these things now...
i know very well that first i have to clear cat..then get to an top B school and then only this question comes to the fore...

but had to clarify the doubt... thank u really for the information
any suggestions u have for me to crack cat2004....

hi guys,
just wanted to clarify one of my doubt...
i work in a software firm and i am a 2003 pass out..
gave cat this time and ended getting 97%
i think that i can give a shot again this year....thats the reason i did not apply for any other school....

the question that i want to ask is...after 2004 cat.. if i get into a school my ex will be around 20 months....

so it comes below the 24 month mark...
so will this work ex of 20 month give me some weightage or will i be considered on par with fresheres...

PLEASE DO CLARIFY

In many B schools, Laterals are applicable for 22 months + work-ex only . However, this is not hard & fast and depends on the composition of your batch (SPJ &IIMK; sometimes have 30+ as cutoff for laterals).
Also, this depends from company to company. In absence of numbers, companies might lower the benchmark.

I think 20+ mths should be a borderline case.
In any case, if you can prove the quality of your work-ex and convince recruiters of your suitability for the openings, you'll stand a decent chance of leveraging your wrk-exp.

Hope that clears the air to an extent.

Don't worry abt it at this this time as there are too many variables involved during placements .

ATB for CAT2004.

Thanks,
Sanju
hi guys,

so will this work ex of 20 month give me some weightage or will i be considered on par with fresheres...

PLEASE DO CLARIFY

It all depends on how you project your experience.

siva,
u mean to say that how well i project my experience in the interviews???
hi guys,

PLEASE DO CLARIFY

It all depends on how you project your experience.