How can we improve the GMAT section?

51 Posts  ·  25 Users
About this group
> Guys, as much as I agree with this profile database thing, I have a different thought that I would want to share *How much does the profile really really really matter ?* What do other Pagals say ? I agreen with inblue complete...
Page 1 of 6
Hi,
Senapati`s blog has been removed I think, any links than plz post it !

Cheers !

@ponds-ggn: The text in blue colour is link, just click it. You'll get Senapati's thread.
Fortunately our moderators/admins are not fool enough to entirely remove it from forum...
My concern/question was why it's removed from sticky list? (locking it was a good idea btw.)
GMAT Blog http://gmat.amrute.me
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
I remember senapati's Stanford MBA admit thread was sticky but it's not there now...
good thing that it's locked but it's removed from sticky list?

Hi,
Senapati`s blog has been removed I think, any links than plz post it !

Cheers !
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I remember senapati's Stanford MBA admit thread was sticky but it's not there now...
good thing that it's locked but it's removed from sticky list?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
philipmatthew Says
gmat requires good analytical skills and excellent command on english.

I agree, but I would also add a quick quantitative mind. The math can be difficult to finish and it is important to be able to work problems quickly and find shortcuts--IMHO.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Interesting topic.. I have some suggestions too..
* For gmat prep, a lot of ppl ask about how they prepared for gmat. Is it possible to consolidate 700+ test experience, books used and test prep strategy? Most of the 700+ guys have already posted their experience in seperate threads. So, a single thread with links to all the 700+ gyan wud be welcome.
* A similar thread for gmat retakers. How they did in the past, and what they did to improve their scores. Again this is present if you search extensively in PG.
* For admission process, yes, i m definitely for a separate thread with just the interview experience. Example the ISB 2009 thread is so huge, its difficult to find out how everyone did in their interviews.
* A thread which has interviews and profiles of successful converts will also add a great value.

I know its asking for too much. But i feel that this process would make searching in PG an easy task. This would also reduce the number of questions asked in various forums. IMHO, ofcourse!!
Cheers,

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
philipmatthew Says

GMAT certainly tests your analytical and inductive logic instincts. However, the most important thing GMAT tests you on is your ability to handle stress and concentrate for a long period of time. There have been some interesting posts in the Low GMAT Score threads and GMAT sectional threads.

There have been extremely talented and intelligent puys who thought they would do well on the GMAT only to figure out that they walked out with scores not matching their abilities. I would recommend all of you to go through posts by Psychodementia, reachnagraj, coach.gmat, coolmayank, HashimB. They have put in efforts to reach out to puys (Some of them do try to sell their professional services but then its their bread and butter. From what I know, none of them has ever imposed their services on to anybody. Most of them are extremely approachable and are ready to extend some help for GMAT Aspirants. I have personally spoken to three of them and they are very passionate about what they do on and off the forums)

Psychodementia has a fantastic bootcamp program in Bangalore and specializes in University Applications. www.crackverbal.com I know a person from Bangalore who got a 680 on the GMAT and was desperate to cross the 740 barrier to bolster his chances to get into an Ivey League institute. Gained significantly from our psycho ;)

coach.gmat has a fantastic GMAT and Admissions coaching module in Pune. He is again very well travelled and guides people well. My friend was on the verge of lapping up the SP Jain GMBA offer and happened to see a post discouraging him to do so. He took the GMAT again and has now secured an admission in Copenhagen Business School

Check out his blog Education Abroad Preparations and website www.gmatwings.in

Hashim is relatively new to the forums but he already has made a lot of contribution with detailed explanations on tough cookies like sentence correction. His team has also put in a lot of tips and tricks on their website www.bellcurves.com

Hold on hold on - Im no marketing agent for any of these puys 😛 Just trying to highlight some of the stars on PG forums who can be of tremendous assistance to GMAT aspirtants 😃
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I think GMAT section of the Forum can be improved.
I have spent days looking for what is the profile of people who got into different schools and which schools are more welcoming of Indians etc.
While I don't have hard statistics, I do have a slightly better feel of the kind of profiles that have a chance in getting to particular schools.
Going through the admits thread has been a torture. It has no useful information, except for saying I got into it, I also got into it etc.
For a guy trying to figure out whether or not he stands some chance of getting in to a particular school, the admit thread is of no use.
Then I had to painstakingly go through the posts of each admit to find out what is his or her profile; in some cases I could find it and in some cases no. It took days to do this.
I did infer / learn through this research a few interesting things :
1. Even with 3 years experience, people stand a chance in top schools like columbia, provided you are not a male and not from IT; till then I had this impression that one needs to have 4 to 5 years experience to have any chance of admit. Now I have changed my mind.
2. You want to get into Stanford/ Harvard etc., just a high GMAT score and good GPA isn't enough; you need to stand out- may be you should have done something special like working in Siberia, Africa etc., learning different languages and learning to live in different cultures etc.; else, may be, you are somebody who started a company, things like that.

3. If you want to get into IIMA under NRI quota, you need GMAT score of at least 760, where as for IIMC, even a GMAT score of 710, 720 may give you a chance; for IIML GMAT score of 730 is fine and for IIMB, if you have some interesting background and work experience- even a GMAT score of 710, 720 might be ok.
4. You can get into IMD, even with a GMAT score of 650 or so, provided you have interesting work experience (other than IT) and international exposure.
5. NOn-IT background seems to be a distinctive advantage in getting admits to most B-schools- one may be able to get in with even 680, 690 GMAT score.

The point I want to make is this:

while it is true that each applicant is unique, there are patterns one can discern about the kind of people getting in to different schools and programmes. If some kind of data base and thumb nail sketch of the candidate's GMAT score, gender, work experience, academic record,extra curriculars etc. is easily accessible, then it is far more easy for people to figure out whether or not they have a reasonable chance of getting admit and hence, they can be more realistic in targeting the schools to apply.

I hope some thing can be done about this.
Some kind of registration, with profile; schools applied to and schools selected and to which school one finally decided to go, if this kind of data can be captured, some how, in a systematic fashion, it can be of immense help to newbies who come PG looking for help.
Thanks.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I think Neo n Oxy took great efforts to make this special thread.
I want to know whats the outcome of this? founder, and PG HQ staff and other seniors,
how many suggestions, discussed here, been implemented? (or in work )

and if they are not implemented, then can the authority give some replies to these as why they are not feasible or managable?
have you read this thread anyways? 😐

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

interesting suggestion...

but i think the existing thread do provide almost all the info regarding the school, new threads will just increase already cluttered forum

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...