How are MBA colleges managing exam results in '07 season! :?

8 Posts  ·  8 Users
About this group
This year most of the websites were down just after announcing the results. It happens because of load.. But then the way they handle the thing is quite innovative. Few websites claim "database does not exist". As if we are responsible for de...
Page 1 of 1
"Try later" still seems OK. Probably you didnt check NM's result. The message was something like "Your account has been suspended due to non-payment..." Junta has already gone bonkers on the result day and then messages like these can cause trauma to students who might even think that their OMR sheet got cancelled in cheating-case or they their bank draft might have been of lesser value than what the institute had asked for, hence the disqualification.

When they did not care to proofread the question papers before churning them out to 1.9 lakh junta, who the eff will care about the results and all those trivial matters. They still get the same brains(?), more importantly the money.

I agree .. this is just pathetic.... its such a horrid time for the applicants , they are already so stressed out and such messages just psyche people out ...

I think outsourcing as apurv mentioned will go a long way in helping out .. provided security and tamper proof methods are in place .

Regards

Shailesh
Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.
A WORD OF CAUTION:
Don't compare B-schools here! Just post about the issues and what can be done to resolve them!

Sorry to nitpick but why dont we stop them when the institutes go on flaunting 'their placements'(false or otherwise) and 'their campuses'. Does it pinch when someone talks about 'their issues'?

Alas! that's the rule of the world (read business) 😃
But the worst of al websites as per me has to be one of IIM B! It's been 3 days and not once have i been able to see my result.. The only thing they display is "Try Later". I woke up last nite at 2:00 am. Thought the server would not be loaded at that hour. Still the same story.. "Page not found..."

These are the top B Schools in our country!

"Try later" still seems OK. Probably you didnt check NM's result. The message was something like "Your account has been suspended due to non-payment..." Junta has already gone bonkers on the result day and then messages like these can cause trauma to students who might even think that their OMR sheet got cancelled in cheating-case or they their bank draft might have been of lesser value than what the institute had asked for, hence the disqualification.

When they did not care to proofread the question papers before churning them out to 1.9 lakh junta, who the eff will care about the results and all those trivial matters. They still get the same brains(?), more importantly the money.

PS: why don't we consider the need to upgrade or anything??? I mean, except the CAT season, the servers are pretty much left standing idle in every insti...

Exactly!! What is the point in getting hugely expensive high-end servers if the only time they are actually goin to be stressed out is at max, a 1 week period once a year?? Waste of money and resources me thinks

As Apurv pointed out, out-sourcing is already being done which really is the best option.
agreed...
I guess they need to upgrade the computing power available in the campus. This can be done in several ways..
I guess we all have heard of the google funda of the integration of h/w and s/w.. which they don't let out... something on those lines would be too hard to expect, but maybe buying an IBM p550a or an HP server with loads of computing power...

another problem could be the RAM allocation.. what can be done is the implementation of virtualization concept.. which is there being one large pool of memory and all the servers picking up as much as they require..
I agree with ashish when he says that the load increases, to counter this there is yet another concept known as the "load balancing" concept... which will allocate more resources to the systems which need it the most...

what I am basically trying to say is... all it requires is a bit of dedication towards the same and the willingness to shell out some cash.. hehehe

PS: why don't we consider the need to upgrade or anything??? I mean, except the CAT season, the servers are pretty much left standing idle in every insti...

I have reliable inside-info that the CAT Group is looking to outsource the CAT logistics and a Bangalore-based agency is being looked into. Hopefully things would be better thereafter .

CBSE, which handles a base that is several times that of CAT has already gone mobile years ago. It is only fair that institutes that teach the country about sound systems management practices imbibe it themselves.
I come in peace. Take me to your leader. http://www.twitter.com/apurv
This year most of the websites were down just after announcing the results. It happens because of load.. But then the way they handle the thing is quite innovative.

Few websites claim "database does not exist". As if we are responsible for destroying the database. Others say "record not found". Now what do we understand from this? Is this their fault or are we not selected?

But the worst of al websites as per me has to be one of IIM B! It's been 3 days and not once have i been able to see my result.. The only thing they display is "Try Later". I woke up last nite at 2:00 am. Thought the server would not be loaded at that hour. Still the same story.. "Page not found..."

agreed...
I guess they need to upgrade the computing power available in the campus. This can be done in several ways..
I guess we all have heard of the google funda of the integration of h/w and s/w.. which they don't let out... something on those lines would be too hard to expect, but maybe buying an IBM p550a or an HP server with loads of computing power...

another problem could be the RAM allocation.. what can be done is the implementation of virtualization concept.. which is there being one large pool of memory and all the servers picking up as much as they require..
I agree with ashish when he says that the load increases, to counter this there is yet another concept known as the "load balancing" concept... which will allocate more resources to the systems which need it the most...

what I am basically trying to say is... all it requires is a bit of dedication towards the same and the willingness to shell out some cash.. hehehe

A WORD OF CAUTION:
Don't compare B-schools here! Just post about the issues and what can be done to resolve them!

This year most of the websites were down just after announcing the results. It happens because of load.. But then the way they handle the thing is quite innovative.

Few websites claim "database does not exist". As if we are responsible for destroying the database. Others say "record not found". Now what do we understand from this? Is this their fault or are we not selected?