HKU MBA 2013 intake

78 Posts  ·  39 Users
About this group
Hi..I am starting this thread as i did not come across any thread for the students applying for being admitted to HKU MBA for 2013. I have got an admit for HKU this year and would like to know more about HKU. Kindly let me know your opinions in te...
Page 1 of 8

Hi

I have admits from HKU and UIUC and have difficulty in deciding between the 2. I want to pursue MBA in HR. 

Please comment on the pros and cons of HKU to help me decide.

Happiness is all I want
1 comment
vyom.goel
@vyom.goel  ·  0 karma

Hi, I have just accepted admit into HKU MBA.  Which one did you finalise?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I have admits for Full-Time MBA from HKU-LBS Track and UBC-Sauder

http://www.mba.hku.hk/fulltime/advantage/introduction http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/MBA/MBA_Full_Time/Program_Overview

I have to pay the deposit in 2 weeks time, I'd be glad if you assist.

Brief Backgroud:

Indian

5 years of work experience in June 2015

Tech Industry (Analytics)

Post my MBA I would want to work for a couple of years in US/UK/Canada/Singapore/HK

Concentrating on Consulting Industry

1 comment
vyom.goel
@vyom.goel  ·  0 karma

Hi Kabir, I have just accepted admit into HKU MBA.  Which one did you finalise?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

anyone has any inputs on CUHK vs HKU (post MBA opportunities) ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

any link for HKU 2014 intake?

1 comment
Tushar_1988
@Tushar_1988  ·  0 karma

Not as of now... could we start one ?

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Sooo.. I have made it to HKU - LBS Track! The feeling is still sinking in. anybody else out here with an admit? Lets connect. Any current students/Alumni out here? Need your words of wisdom.

4 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 4
Neha118
@Neha118  ·  0 karma

Placement at ceibs in china is far better than hku.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
Neha118
@Neha118  ·  0 karma

The reputation of ceibs is also higher than hku in china. I got Economic offer from ceibs last year. Finally , i decline hku offer.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hey guys,
A lot of the guys had received interview invites but we haven't heard back how it went. Share a thought? Also any idea when the results of these interviews are expected?

3 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 3
Leo31
@Leo31  ·  0 karma
@akshay85 nothing unsual.. just tell me something about myself, goals, why HKU, questions related to my professional life.. and that day Kejriwal sat on a dharna threatning republic day.. so was asked my views on it.
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
akshay85
@akshay85  ·  89 karma
@Leo31 i had pretty much the same experience. i was asked about my expectations from 2014 General Elections. so what other colleges are you applying to?
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi All,

I have an interview call from HKU. My interview is scheduled for 23rd Jan. Is there anyone else who is scheduled to appear for the interview in the near future?

Guys who have already been admitted or have taken the interview, can you please pass on your experience, dos and donts please? Would help people like me.

Regards the reputation of the school among employers and the general business population, from what I have seen and heard, HKU is okay. I am currently staying in Singapore for close to 2 years now and I have had the opportunity to talk to a lot of people from the region i.e. from Singapore, HK and China. From my experience the answer from each of them has been on similar lines.

The University of HK is a great great university, and extremely prestigious. Parents in HK do not generally prefer their kids to study elsewhere other than HK. For most parents even a Harvard degree comes second after HKU. However, the business school is a kid on the block and even though it has made great strides in the recent years it still is in its infancy. There are really few employers that hire them. And it is almost impossible to find a job in any region other than HK (unless you have some really strong industry contacts and recommendations.) I have contacted a lot of people from the region regarding this particular query, as I would prefer to come back to Singapore after MBA, and I must admit I have been disappointed with the responses.

However, that said I first have to perform well in the interview and get an admit from the university to even think of all the above mentioned factors. Guys with differing views or with facts which negate my view are most welcome to critic my view. I myself am confused with such views and would really like to believe they are not true.

12 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 12
cat_the_bell
@cat_the_bell  ·  0 karma
@Leo31 The time allocated was 30mins. But it turned out to be way too casual.

My profile btw is way too stereotyped.

B.Tech in Ele. 5.5 yrs work ex in IT. 2 yrs international experience.
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
Leo31
@Leo31  ·  0 karma
@cat_the_bell .. I made it. did you not give ur gmat yet? My questioning too ended in about 20 minutes. I used the remaining to discuss HKU with the panel. We disconnected at about the 27th minute.
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Guys!!

I got an interview call for 22nd Jan. It would be really nice to know the interview experiences of the others.
3 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 3
akshay85
@akshay85  ·  89 karma

HI Man. Yes I have given my GMAT. I am Indian electrical engineer and have an experience of 4.5 years in Project Management in Energy sector. I have a managerial experience of 2.5 years.

Like  ·  Reply  ·  
Leo31
@Leo31  ·  0 karma
@akshay85 did you hear HKU on your results?
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Guys

I am due to be interviewed on the 7th Jan and would appreciate help from all the previous interview takers on some questions.

1) Merits / Demerits of the HKU Programme
2) How to make a choice between LBS / CBS and Fudan Univ track
7 comments
Load more comments  ·  2 of 7
Leo31
@Leo31  ·  0 karma
@ManBhatia have you received your decision yet?
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
Leo31
@Leo31  ·  0 karma
@ManBhatia heard back from HKU yet?
Like  ·  Reply  ·  
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi guys,

I have been working towards HKU's dec 31st deadline. I am almost through with penning the essay as well and now I have two thoughts when I read the prompt: Please provide below a statement explaining why you are interested in doing this programme, why you are suitable for it and the value of the MBA programme to your future career. Here's how i interpret this:

1. Please provide below a statement explaining why you are interested in doing this programme i.e. Why HKU MBA

2. value of the MBA programme to your future career. ie. why MBA .. and now the dilemma..

3. why you are suitable for it.. does this mean why MBA now or what value would I add to the HKU class?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...