HKU class of 2010 aspirers

172 Posts  ·  37 Users
About this group
Hi, Since i did not find a thread for the 2010 fall program at Hong Kong University, i'm starting this thread. People who have applied, going to apply, alumni are all requested to post your queries , experiences and suggestions Regar...
Page 1 of 18

Hi DocDude,

I have sent you a message regarding your query...

Regards
Kamesh

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi ...

This is my very first post here, and have to admit, the forum is most helpful.

I'm joining the HKU MBA for the class of 2010-11.

My profile is :
GMAT : 670
Work Ex : 5 yrs (Medical and Managerial)
Background : Medicine

Anybody else joining in ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Thanks Robin.. This will surely help..similar type of opposite views are coming forth for many B schools.. Still can we get a better idea about following aspects of HKU MBA from current and past students.
1. acceptibility in Honcong and China for international students.
2. future apportunities and placements..
3. concentration selection e.g. whether one shld go for LBS or China or CBS..

Thanks anyway.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...
Folks, these comments about HKU MBA are really from a very subjective point of view. I graduated 2 years back and thoroughly enjoyed the MBA experience at HKU; the course content is good with great amount of exposure and nice classmates. I just dont understand why this person is so negative!! I suppose everyone has different objective of doing MBA and as far as my class was concerned majority of us got what we wanted from the course. My advice to everyone will be to not get swayed by any great comments or bad comments about any MBA school. Its impossible that all the people will be happy and at the same time there is no perfect school, so follow your own objective and as long as the school is well known with good reputation and provides you what you are looking for then just go with it. In my class, majority of us are doing quite well and to some extent I must say that HKU MBA has contributed in this.maybe going to another school could have given the same result.but then who knows.for us HKU MBA worked well.
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,

I am waiting for my second round of interview. Meanwhile while doing some background check, cam across following thread. Can any of the alumni or current student pls elaborate on the thoughts mentioned here.
FIND MBA - HKU MBA

mainly concerned about following post:

This was all about the brighter side of the programme
Now, regarding the other side:

1. Now, about the most important part i.e. placements: One can't expect as much luxury and benefits that one receives in premier Indian B Schools where 'On Campus' placements come as a major relief for most of the students. Like in most of the foreign B Schools, in HKU also mostly students have to go for 'Off Campus' placements. One should have good skills in Chinese especially if he/she wants to get a marketing job in Hong Kong... ---> READ: IF you want to go into Investment Banking, PE, Hedge Funds, LBOs or anything that moves you from the back office to the front , GO ELSEWHERE B/C THEY WILL NOT PLACE YOU. More staff is a relief, but seriously if you are paying this much money, your first and foremost priority should be getting that awesome post-mba job (to pay off your debt, switch fields) and there is nothing more important than career services (and a good alumni network - never underestimate your alumni)

2. The ROI (Return on Investment) takes some time ~2-3 years Hence, the ROI from HKU is much faster as compared to the ROI from a programme of a US/ European B School... (truncated)

----> I cannot speak for my Indian friends but I can speak on behalf of Europeans/Americans: I'm not sure what numbers this HKU rep used to calculate ROI. It's not simply subtracting your pre=mba salary from your post-mba salary then dividing it all up. there's also the opportunity cost and the nuanced upside potential. Please be aware also of the higher costs of living: HK rent is not cheap (not to mention NY and London). you do, however, have the option of living out in the boonies of kowloon to save money - just be prepared to commute.

Also , with a subpar MBA program, you are limiting your gains . Granted you can get into a bank/management consulting firm with an HKU MBA, chances are your offer will be 20% lower than others in your class.

Anyhow, that's my input. I have nothing to gain or lose - but wanted others to be a bit more informed before falling for rankings (or things that just blatantly aren't true!)

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Had my video interview on 01-May...
Any idea how much time do they normally take for revealing the results?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Apologies for hijacking this thread. But posting this here because I don't see a thread for HKUST 2010, and this is the closest I could find.
I just wanted to see if anybody has got an offer from HKUST in the second round of admissions? I interviewed about 10 days ago.
I also have an interview with HKU next week.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

I had my interview a couple of weeks back. They mainly tried to understand the purpose of my MBA and goals and ambitions.
@Jay - did you have an earlier telephonic interview ?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,
Congratulations to those who made it to HKU.
I too have got my second round of interview coming saturday. Can someone please tell me what is the difference between first and second round of interview. Would like to know the overall approach and types of questions asked in the second round so that nothing comes as surprize.
So pls do share your experience . Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards,
Mahesh

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi,
I have got an admission offer from NTU for MBA (Fellowship) program. Does anybody has any feedback on quality of the program and placements?
How does above program compares to HEC Montreal and HKU MBA?
Thanks

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...