hindi as 1compulsory subject in school till matric 4 respecting national language?

37 Posts  ·  19 Users
About this group
*plz send in your views as we guys in college had a debate on dis topic . 1st side- said it shud be done as 4 respect 2 national language n every body shud know it. second- said it is not necessary as it is near to impossible to implement i...
Page 1 of 4

I think Hindi should be made compulsory not upto Matric but maybe upto 7th standard. Also instead of concentrating on the written aspect the focus should be more on speaking and reading especially for people from non-Hindi speaking backgrounds. The major advantage of this is crystal clear; it enhances the employment opportunities for millions of Indians who would not be tied down by their regional barriers. People from Hindi backgrounds should similarly be given lessons in a few South Indian languages. This will do wonders for National Integration because language helps a person identify with another and doing this will break down many barriers to communication.

Commenting on this post has been disabled by the moderator.

People

I think that hindi should be made compulsory in the schools, not for some patriotic reasons or something, but because of the practical aspects of it. I stay in delhi and I know of the problems that the people have to face if you can not communicate what you are thinking in hindi. A friend of mine could not commute alone for the sole reason that he did not know hindi well enough to communicate the route. Also, in some jobs or courses, the recruitrs ask for a certification for clearance of hindi till tenth.
linkinpark_zing Says
we shud not force anyone to learn hindi , but they shud respect them ,its rude that people tend to talk in english even they know hindi in southern states bcoz there is a feeling of hatred which is created by us

Err..I had trouble understanding your post.
Too many pronouns,finally leading to nowhere.

Point I THINK you were trying to make-->
You want people to respect the national language
and you don't think the South Indian population does.

My point:
Hindi,though our national language is not
the mother tongue for all Indians.
It is the diversity that is the USP.
So as far as forcing people to
learn it goes,I disagree.
With English and regional languages,
the students have their platter full.

The hatred created by us?
By who? Against what?
Couldn't get what you meant.

As for Hindi being spoken in the Southern
states,you'd be amazed to see how much
more effort goes in at the end of the people.
And it does go in.
Impeccable grammar,better sometimes than
the average Northerner.
Not many from a northern state could be
bothered to learn Dravidian languages.
Hindi for example,is a subject for the students down south.
You wouldn't hear of the reverse being true far north.
Fair? I don't think so.

For the record,my mother tongue is Hindi.
Personally I think Hindi speaking persons are
lingually less tolerant of their countrymen/women.

Just my opinion.Open to debate.

Dudes ok, hating a language is a politician's prerogative, so please do avoid any generalisations. Also Pronto to sum up your entire point, You think we should retain our national identity. I am totally with you man except that our national identity is not one clearly defined concept. To call Hindi our national identity would be to ignore other languages of equal if not more literary wealth. India is too complex a concept to be identifed by one single parameter. Lets learn to accept that and live in peace

we shud not force anyone to learn hindi , but they shud respect them ,its rude that people tend to talk in english even they know hindi in southern states bcoz there is a feeling of hatred which is created by us

And by the same logic learn to appreciate the poetry of Bharti-yar and the tirukural. Or maybe try finding the subtle nuances in the poems of Avvayaar.

Bullshit right ?

Well so is your logic of me trying to figure JaiShankar Prasad and Premchand.

They might be great. I agree, but no reason why I should learn them if not out of my own accord.

well abzolutely not out of your own personal accord ...but that they have done a lot in bringing..hindi to the international platform...you can appreciate or be ambivalent about it only if u have a taste for it...and what difference would it make if u appreciate or do not appreciate it...the testimonials that the language Hindi is rich enuff already exist in our manuscripts and they dun need to be attested by me or you...by a North Indian or South Indian.... to prove that Hindi is par all comparisons....uve lost the whole point...my only motto was.. to make us realise that the language hindi itself is unprecedentedly rich which is already an establiched fact...and yeah i do believe that hindi literature is much more rich than any other language in the world...standing shoulders with English and French...!!

Toh aap shuru karo ek Hindi Literary club. I know i might sounding very RDB-isque but this has been my personal motto since eons now: "Either do something about it or quit complaining"

well i am not whining or cribbing about anything my fren.....i am just placing my point ...and if we can't even do that...it wd defeat the whole purpose of these threads and forums...:D..

But doing something about it...its a nice idea ...thanx for bringing it across..:smile:..ive already taught basics of hindi to some non-hindi speakers

As convolutedsignal said, India is not comparable to a Japan, France or Spain simply because of the multitude of languages and culture.

okie the other day i ws watching Mr India for the nth time...and Mogambo had this dialogue in his opening speech...i may not be accurate..but i'll try..."yeh Hindustani kabhi kuch nahin seekhenge...yeh hamesha dharm,jaat aur kshetra ko leke ladte rahenge.."
so are u suggesting that even for the sake of our own literature we cannot be united under one umbrella...??

Well, I would say you are kinda too late baby The reality is that France is a developed country - a superpower. India is not. I know ki thoda apne ego ko thees pohunchega but thats reality ! :neutral:

well ...my fault...i dun really believe in these subjective terms as "developed country - a superpower"...or a "developing country" i dun really wish to go along with the organisations who have coined these terms...i wish to go a lil more with the data...going lil outta the topic out of the Forbes list of 200 richest people in the world their were 27 Indians and 10 Chinese...i quote "The collective net worth of 40 richest persons in India is $106 billion compared with China's $26 billion"...yes their are also the cons...the number of people below the povery line and stuff...but arent we giving tough competition on the positive note too..??

So why not compare India with other countries...when it has actually been doing well on the global front...!!

Okie even if we wish to exclude France , what do u have to say about Israel...one small country hugely influenced with the West...still the people give a sh*t to English...technically highly advanced ..all the computer systems here are sold with customised OS and drivers for Hebrew...even the Notepad if u'd open...would start typing left to right...for this z how Hebrewz written...!!

I just wish to make the point that drilling down deep into the structures of regions,religions and what not ...we Indians tend to loose the national identity...!!

phew..!!:crazyeye:
linkinpark_zing Says
hey i justt said dat coz as i am a new bie i dont know d posting rules ,well rather i was hurt as d mod said d other side won on my topic why is he so rude ?me btech mechanical

Hey linkinpark.
Perhaps it would help to glance
through the rules.The mod's aren't rude people.
They just have a lot on their hands.:)
Do go through the sticky threads for newbies.
Keep posting.

Regards.
rani_das Says
cheers park.. dats becoz the font size was too large... cheerio... dnt b katti.... was dat in a heavy tone.. lo sorry kaan pakadke...... abhi guzza mat ho... waise moi rani_das from kochin....

hey i justt said dat coz as i am a new bie i dont know d posting rules ,well rather i was hurt as d mod said d other side won on my topic why is he so rude ?me btech mechanical
nex
@nex  ·  0 karma

The sms lingo is a universal problem. Teachers in UK have expressed their inability to evaluate the essays submitted by the students "coz they wr writtn lik dis" :wow:

But I totally agree with convolutedsignal here. Languages cannot be imposed. How many languages do you want a child in kerala to learn ?? Malyalam and english are a must. You want to force him to learn hindi too which he will not be using in his job/life anyway ??

Why is it that the Indian fascination
with "foreign maal" does not end.
Does coming at par with the world HAVE
to imply giving up our own?

English is an essential today.
It remains a skill no more.
But a basic.
That said,why should the literary
history and exploits of Indians over
the centuries go to waste.

My opinion:
English-a compulsory language.
Does not imply letting go of
the national/regional languages.
It's our CULTURE.
It's what makes us who we are.
Surely it must be harder than this
to sweep away thousands of years of growth.

It does seem like too much to ask
of the present generation for
THe GenX luvs 2 tok dis way.
U get my pt? They LUV d sms lingo.

Being grammatically impaired would not
extend only to one language.
It's the approach to language per se
that needs to be corrected.