Helpline - PostCAT/ any other queries - Student, IIMC

10 Posts  ·  44 Users
About this group
Please feel free to post your queries here. Feel free to post anything u are worried about and we will be more than happy to clarify :) \- Karthik, PGDM, IIM Calcutta. You can also get in touch here - Karthik Addagarla | Facebook
Page 1 of 1

i have a problem with many of us are facing..but with a little difference.
i am a mechanical engineer,passout batch-2010, and have been working in a heavy power plant in probably the remotest region of the country.
i gave CAT in 2010 and scored about 65 %tile with no prep 😞 prepared again this year and i am expecting around 85%tile. the problem is that my work schedules are hectic and quite absurd and i work about 12 hours a day and we have no weekend offs as we get an off after 8 days.
i have been trying to adjust for over an year now but have always found it extremely difficult to manage both work and studies as i could never really make/follow a routine.
i do not to end up in an ordinary college and i want to give CAT my best shot.
i have about 17 months of work ex now.so i have 2 questions:
1- if i leave the job now and take an year off to prepare,will it be okay as the gap will be about 15-16 months wen i will sit for an interview?
2- should i delay quitting my job and leave around april/may so as to reduce the year gap.
i have absolutely no idea how these might affect, so i do not want to take a rash decision.

kindly help me out,coz the dilemma of quitting or continuing the job is killing for over a month now and i have a few exams left to try out my luck this year.My academics are below:

10th CBSE- 85%

12th CBSE- 64%

Graduation- 8.23/10

Decent extracurricular achievements.

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

No idea buddy.

As you know, Don worry about these things now 😃

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Karthik..we have had a word befor my CAT..thanks man the advice worked 4 the good :D
I know gone is gone...but do you have any idea about the dice of Normalization. How much can it play...any parameter on the basis of which the process is done?

Hrd somewhere that a 17C 3W will always fetch much more than a 19C 9W...I know it isn't something that I must put up but still wondering do we have any idea about the same?

ManDevIan for Life :mg:
undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

multiple times posted.. deleted

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

multiple times posted.. deleted

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Cutoffs - cant tell dude...

Anything above 95%le, you can expect a call but again, depends on your luck as to how the criteria will be.

The placements are pretty good wherever u go. Remember, you need to have a good CV, A good profile to get a good job, even if you are in IIM A,B or C. So build your profile

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

What is the approximate cutoffs for new IIMs and how are their placements?

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

It wont bother your chances one little bit. Infact, it might show your mental strength and may add to your canditature. So chillax buddy 😃

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Hi Karthik...

This is santhosh from Chennai..

I graduated in 2008 and I was working in an IT major till May 2010. Then I met with a major accident due to which I was bedridden for almost one and a half years..Now I have done my CAT decently...In case I get a couple of good calls, How should I manage this in my interview???How badly will it affect my chances??

Thanks for your kind gesture!!

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...

Please feel free to post your queries here. Feel free to post anything u are worried about and we will be more than happy to clarify :)

- Karthik,
PGDM, IIM Calcutta.

You can also get in touch here -

Karthik Addagarla | Facebook

undefined
Write a comment
Write a comment...